Ya Never Know

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
I guess this is the best forum to place this. Move me if not.
Yesterday at the end of a slow work day I was manning the phone.
This I rarely do, but my office employee had left early to go to the dentist. It was quiet so I took the last half-hour of my day to rework a new idea I had for my first query.
I am an artist and my business sells products of my own design and manufacture to both wholesale and retail outlets.
A few minutes before closing the phone rang and a woman with a crisp and professional voice asked to place an order.
In 30 years of business I can usually distinguish the voice of a wholesaler and a retail customer and I believed this woman to be the former.
"Do you have store?" I asked.
"Oh no!" she said and laughed "I'm a literary agent."
GULP
"Well. I need you!" sez I, "as I've just written a book."
"What is your book about?" she asked.
I choke out an even briefer version of the query, and I tell her I had just been polishing my query moments ago.
"This sounds interesting." she says. " Don't you think this is strange?"
"Well it is a coincidence." I say
"I don't believe in coincidences." she says. "Would you send me the first three chapters?"

When I got home I looked her up. She's a biggie. Only accepts from published authors, which I am not.

Gahhhhhh! Now I've got to send them. This will be my first.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DANG!

I don't believe in coincidences either. ;)

Go for it and keep us posted.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
No such thing as coincidence :)

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
I know I know. It gives me the hee-bee jee-bees. I'll keep you all posted. It will probably be a rejection- but I am better off in the agent category than I was 24 hours ago at this same time!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome!

Say... can you redirect the incoming calls to Australia? :tongue

Thanks, I hope it works. I'm Half surprised I got the call at all, as my phone system here works so poorly. You ought to see my pathetic internet connection. I call it the "sporadic dial-up system."

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks regdog,siri and Russell. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I'm enough of a pessimist to assume the rejection will arrive back home like a heat seeking boomerang, but I'll report how it goes. When I looked her up it said she takes published authors only and that sure isn't me.

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
Hot Damn!

She called me! Yesterday at about the same time time she called the first time. The first thing she said was " Do you have time to talk with me?", which is about the same thing as " Do you have time for chocolate?" Then she said. "Your first three chapters are so good.... when I finished them it was like walking out of a movie theatre and not wanting to be outside but wanting to go back in and live in the movie again." She asked for the rest of the manuscript, talked with me for 45 minutes and gave me her home phone number.
I think this sounds pretty good, but now I can worry she wll hate the rest of it. Fingers still crossed!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She called me! Yesterday at about the same time time she called the first time. The first thing she said was " Do you have time to talk with me?", which is about the same thing as " Do you have time for chocolate?" Then she said. "Your first three chapters are so good.... when I finished them it was like walking out of a movie theatre and not wanting to be outside but wanting to go back in and live in the movie again." She asked for the rest of the manuscript, talked with me for 45 minutes and gave me her home phone number.
I think this sounds pretty good, but now I can worry she wll hate the rest of it. Fingers still crossed!

Woo-hoo! Congrats!

:TheWave::TheWave:

Some things are just meant to be! :D

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Send her to Japan!! I could use a good agent. No one ever walks into my coffee shop (where I teach and write) and asks ME to send my novels in.:D

Hope it all works out for you!!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DANG!

How exciting - Get cracking on the rest and keep us posted. ;)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think this sounds pretty good,

Might you have just a wee tiny penchant for understatement?

I'm excited for you and more than just a wee bit envious! You never know, indeed. Great news!

And tell her she has a two-day layover in Uganda on her way to Japan and Australia.

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. I have sent her the rest of the manuscript ( on paper) today.. so I just hope she likes the end of the "movie"as well as she did the beginning.
I guess there was perhaps a little bit of advantage in the fact she originally called to buy a product I had designed, so presumable we have similar tastes.
I do send this out as an encouraging tale to others- because ya never do know.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Just seen this and want to say WOW! and fingers crossed.

I do believe in coincidence, though.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
I think someday your agent will tell that story when you make it big. That's just too much coincidence to be anything but destiny. :)

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
Coincidence or not- I'll take it!

I sent the full via snail mail on June 4th and she has written today with an offer of representation, and the notice she has already spoken with an editor friend from one of the bigger publishers who wants to see the novel. I am reeling in happiness and disbelief.
Ya never know.
Thanks everyone for all the crossed fingers and good wishes.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
That is awesome. There are no coincidences; there are only those things that are meant to be.