rich dudes with numbers in their names (question)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
When someone is the second, the third, the tenth, etc, you know. How does one spell it properly in a novel?

John Smith the Third
John Smith the third
John Smith, the third
John Smith the 3rd
something else?

Thanks in advance!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my novel, the protagonist was so poor that four generations could only afford one name, so he was Les Huntsman IV.

I think you could get by with John Smith, the third, ate caviar and drank Dom Pérignon champaign.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
In narrative, it's however the person writes it. In dialogue, it's "The third."

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that works, Chase. John Smith III is far clearer.

The comma placed after Smith raises the question - the third what? ;)

snc84

Registered
Reaction score
In narrative I would write John Smith III.

However, in dialogue, I might decide on spelling it out. Some one would really say, "Let me introduce you to John Smith, the third." not "Let me introduce you to John Smith, eye eye eye" LOL

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
However, in dialogue, I might decide on spelling it out. Some one would really say, "Let me introduce you to John Smith, the third." not "Let me introduce you to John Smith, eye eye eye"

Yeah, Bufty, it was dialog I meant. Sigh. :e2paperba At least I wish it were so.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting. Is this an American thing? Because I've never come across it here (UK) except for royalty of course. Here if someone was called 'John Smith the third' we'd assume some rather unflattering things about them.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
In narrative I would write John Smith III.

However, in dialogue, I might decide on spelling it out. Some one would really say, "Let me introduce you to John Smith, the third." not "Let me introduce you to John Smith, eye eye eye" LOL

But I would automatically read John Smith III as John Smith the Third in dialogue.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yes, I'm worried about dialogue. If they were talking about some king, I wouldn't hesitate to call him Friedrich III, but here I had doubts.
Thanks! :)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
This is interesting. Is this an American thing? Because I've never come across it here (UK) except for royalty of course. Here if someone was called 'John Smith the third' we'd assume some rather unflattering things about them.

Yes, it is mainly an American thing.

The third baron of Gloucester would, I suppose, be the UK equivalent. But name name of that Baron would be "normal". Like John Smith, the third baron of Gloucester. I've never seen anyone use roman numerals over here. Except if you sit on a fancy chair and gets to open parliaments.

ETA-
Actually, thinking about it. Elizabeth's name is not Elizabeth II. It is just Elizabeth, and she is the second Monarch of that name. So, the numeral is just a descriptor, and not part of the name.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is mainly an American thing.

The third baron of Gloucester would, I suppose, be the UK equivalent. But name name of that Baron would be "normal". Like John Smith, the third baron of Gloucester. I've never seen anyone use roman numerals over here. Except if you sit on a fancy chair and gets to open parliaments.

ETA-
Actually, thinking about it. Elizabeth's name is not Elizabeth II. It is just Elizabeth, and she is the second Monarch of that name. So, the numeral is just a descriptor, and not part of the name.
Yeah numbers are part of titles here and I don't think the third baron of Gloucester would have it as part of their title even, it would simply be a description.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
That's all right, my character isn't talking to "Elizabeth" but referring to her. Something like "The person we need to talk to is John Smith III. He was there that night."

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
I've just googled "John Smith III" and it does appear to be a perfectly acceptable way of writing "John Smith the third", so I don't see a problem with it, even in dialogue (if I saw "Elizabeth II" in dialogue, it wouldn't strike me as particularly strange).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Probably the most public prominent person today with a numeral after his name is Robert Griffin III, winner of the Heisman Trophy, the award for best college football player in the nation in 2011, and NFL Rookie of the Year in 2012 as quarterback of the Washington Redskins. He wasn't a "rich dude" until he accomplished those things, but now he is. He now gets the nickname "RG3", and on the back of his uniform, it reads "GRIFFIN III".

That's pretty much the standard convention for expressing the concept.

caw

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once dated a guy who was a "third" with the III appended to his name. By the time I met him he had changed his name legally, dropped all the words, and was named simply "III" which he pronounced "three."

Unfortunately this was the most interesting thing about him, it turned out. I can't remember what his name originally was.