New dog, too much barking - neighbors mad

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
We adopted a small 1-yr-old terrier (12 lbs) from the Humane Society about 2 months ago. She's cute, cuddly, lovable, happy - and a barker. She has a high pitched bark, which gets even higher when she's super excited. She leads our other dog astray - his bark is deeper and not so annoying, but still, if it goes on too long ... He used to bark occasionally but it wasn't bad.

A couple of weeks ago we got a notice on our front door that "someone was concerned about our dog barking" and gave the rules on noise control. If the dog barks for more than 10 minutes straight then that's classified as a nuisance and we can get a citation or something.

I got home from work tonight about 9:45 and gave the dogs their treats, then settled down to relax. And the barky one went out and started yapping. It's the neighboring cats, I think, that lure her into trouble. Our 5-foot fences in the neighborhood are every-other-board on each side, to allow wind to pass through, and cats can also slip through into our yard. And taunt the dogs. We've seen cats in our yard.

(We have cats too, but they don't run in the yard.)

Sometimes Barky will come in when I call, but tonight she was stuck in her groove and would not let up. I put on shoes and grabbed a flashlight to go out - found her behind the arborvitae trees lining the back fence, intent on something (couldn't see what). She would not let up, and I couldn't get to her, and the other dog started in - and then the woman who lives behind us came out and yelled at me. I managed to grab the non-barker and then the other one came close enough for me to get her.

The people behind us are mean and we had a run-in with her husband several years ago about their fence falling down. I really think they might do something like poison the dogs, or, who knows, shoot them? :scared: They don't seem to have animals, or kids, or maybe they have cats.

The thing is, we've always had a dog-door which allows the pets to come and go as they please. Never a problem - but this new Barky may mean we can't do that anymore. I would not be happy. I like to give them freedom to roam, but she's ruining it!

I really don't know what to do. I bought a sonic device that's supposed to deter barking by emitting a high-pitched noise that the dogs don't like when the device detects barking. It seemed to work for a day or two - but I guess she's gotten over it.

I've never used a shock collar - never had this situation before in 30 years of having dogs - but I've heard they're cruel. I don't know. :Shrug:

I hate to think that we'd have to give her back - we're quite fond of her and she's lovely in every other way (well, she still pukes in the car but that's getting better). But I can't jeopardize my other animals - if the neighbors were to put out poison, they all might get sick or die. Or we could get into trouble with the city noise control and have to pay fines or something.

She has loads of toys that she plays with, and she and my older dog get along really well.

Any advice? Thanks. :(

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Tell your neighbor you're going to train your dog to stop barking. Try to set a time, or organize a time when you can do this.

Follow this.

Then this.

BTW, I've always had a hard time training terriers. Short attention spans, so you might want to leash them when you're training them.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Adding that I don't really blame the neighbors - the barking is annoying. We're on 1/4 acre lots, and the way our house is positioned the back fence is only about 15 feet behind the house.

I'm thinking that maybe I'll have a chain link fence put up tomorrow (if possible) to limit the area the dogs can get out into. That will, of course, limit the cats too, and that may not work.

Another idea I had is to put her outside on a long chain when she needs to go out, so she can run around but not have free reign of the yard - but that would mean closing the dog-door, and our other pets are so used to it.

I'm really frazzled - if I'd known she was going to be a barker, I wouldn't have taken her, no matter how cute. My husband and I both work long irregular hours, so we're not home at specific times to let the dogs outside.

I'm really upset. :cry: Don't know what to do - don't want to use a shock collar, but don't want her to be murdered either by a fed-up neighbor.

ETA: just saw your post WillS, will read the links.

ETA2: I don't think she barks for more than 10 minutes at a time, which is what the notice on the door states = "nuisance" - but even 5 minutes is too much. Ear splitting.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We adopted a small 1-yr-old terrier (12 lbs) from the Humane Society about 2 months ago. She's cute, cuddly, lovable, happy - and a barker. She has a high pitched bark, which gets even higher when she's super excited. She leads our other dog astray - his bark is deeper and not so annoying, but still, if it goes on too long ... He used to bark occasionally but it wasn't bad.

A couple of weeks ago we got a notice on our front door that "someone was concerned about our dog barking" and gave the rules on noise control. If the dog barks for more than 10 minutes straight then that's classified as a nuisance and we can get a citation or something.

I got home from work tonight about 9:45 and gave the dogs their treats, then settled down to relax. And the barky one went out and started yapping. It's the neighboring cats, I think, that lure her into trouble. Our 5-foot fences in the neighborhood are every-other-board on each side, to allow wind to pass through, and cats can also slip through into our yard. And taunt the dogs. We've seen cats in our yard.

(We have cats too, but they don't run in the yard.)

Sometimes Barky will come in when I call, but tonight she was stuck in her groove and would not let up. I put on shoes and grabbed a flashlight to go out - found her behind the arborvitae trees lining the back fence, intent on something (couldn't see what). She would not let up, and I couldn't get to her, and the other dog started in - and then the woman who lives behind us came out and yelled at me. I managed to grab the non-barker and then the other one came close enough for me to get her.

The people behind us are mean and we had a run-in with her husband several years ago about their fence falling down. I really think they might do something like poison the dogs, or, who knows, shoot them? :scared: They don't seem to have animals, or kids, or maybe they have cats.

The thing is, we've always had a dog-door which allows the pets to come and go as they please. Never a problem - but this new Barky may mean we can't do that anymore. I would not be happy. I like to give them freedom to roam, but she's ruining it!

I really don't know what to do. I bought a sonic device that's supposed to deter barking by emitting a high-pitched noise that the dogs don't like when the device detects barking. It seemed to work for a day or two - but I guess she's gotten over it.

I've never used a shock collar - never had this situation before in 30 years of having dogs - but I've heard they're cruel. I don't know. :Shrug:

I hate to think that we'd have to give her back - we're quite fond of her and she's lovely in every other way (well, she still pukes in the car but that's getting better). But I can't jeopardize my other animals - if the neighbors were to put out poison, they all might get sick or die. Or we could get into trouble with the city noise control and have to pay fines or something.

She has loads of toys that she plays with, and she and my older dog get along really well.

Any advice? Thanks. :(

Have you tried training her?

It's not the cats' fault for 'luring' her, it's not the neighbour's fault for being 'mean.' It's your fault that your dog is barking like this, because, apparently, you haven't trained her not to, or to do anything else, frankly. From the incident you describe attempting to get her from the yard, it doesn't sound like you have any control over them at all. Are they crate trained?

Shocking or a noise thing aren't the answer - training her is. Geez. Call a dog trainer.

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
First, :Hug2:

Not nessecarily. If it's kept at a low voltage (just enough so that your pup pays attention), it's fine. Just think of it this way: dogs often communicate each other by nipping. You're simply "nipping" her to tell her that barking isn't okay.

I'd also recommend searching Youtube for Victoria Stilwell. She's got great tips on every dog problem you can think of (barking included) and her methods are very effective (and since she forces the dogs to think, it'll probably work well with your smart lil' terror terrier). ;) Otherwise, I shall sit back and let people who're more experienced swoop in and save the day. :D

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I know you're frazzled, but I just wanted to say thank you on behalf of your neighbor for attempting to train the dog. I, unfortunately, am living next to a dumbass who thought it would be a great idea to keep a beagle in an apartment complex. It has made my life hell.

Anyway, try the training but don't poo-poo the bark collar. I used one for my English mastiff. In conjunction with training, it helped break her of howling and beating at the door (And the windows. She could reach them!) whenever she wanted in.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried training her?

Wow, why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes

Yes, I have, but apparently I'm lousy at it. As I said, I've never had a dog like this in 30+ years of having dogs. We have crates for inside but they don't work when she goes outside - ? So not sure what you meant by that.

Thanks for your help.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't say that you'd tried training her.

Then call a trainer? Try a training class? Are they crate trained? A friend's dog likes to bark. He knows one errant bark and he goes to his room (friend works crazy hours so was very strict with no barking for no good reason), so he doesn't bark like that.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
I know you're frazzled, but I just wanted to say thank you on behalf of your neighbor for attempting to train the dog. I, unfortunately, am living next to a dumbass who thought it would be a great idea to keep a beagle in an apartment complex. It has made my life hell.

I second this, I once lived in an apartment and had a neighbour with a small yapper-type dog, and this thing made my life unbearable for about a year. It got to the point where every single night I was just lying in bed anticipating this dog starting up its blood-curdling yap, sounding so close it might as well have been in bed with me stabbing me in the ear with an icepick, like some small, furry, aural-torture Sharon Stone. The lady who owned the dog was reported numerous times (although not by me), and she bought a muzzle for it to wear at night, but the dog "didn't like it" so she'd take it off. She lived in a two story place, she slept on the second floor, and the dog would bark on the first - ie just on the other side of a wall where I slept (or rather, didn't sleep). Anytime I would ask her to please, please, please do something about her dog, she would just accuse me of "exaggerating". In the end, I moved.

Sorry for the rant, but it is amazing how something like that can make your life utterly miserable. And obviously it's not the dog's fault.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you think these neighbours would poison or shoot your dogs, when they seem to be doing the correct, legal thing: contacting the bylaw enforcement people?
At least you are trying to do the right thing and train your dog not to bark. Although this is going to be difficult if you and your husband are at work all day. (This is probably why you're figuring that the dog isn't barking for 10 minutes like the notice says, but only 5 or so, you're home so you try to get the dog to shut up when you hear it going off - I'll bet it's a different story during the day.) But good on you for trying, at least.
Unlike the idiot 3 doors down from me. It's townhouses (rowhouses), so we're all up against each other, and he does nothing to get his dog to shut up. Or, in fairness, nothing that works. Good luck.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you think these neighbours would poison or shoot your dogs, when they seem to be doing the correct, legal thing: contacting the bylaw enforcement people?

I don't know who called the county - the notice didn't say. No one has said anything negative to us directly. One has mentioned he's heard her barking but said we just need to give her time to settle in. He's got animals himself, so maybe he is more understanding.

I may be overreacting on the poison thing, but the neighbors behind us are volatile. Physically menacing and verbally threatening on another occasion - I thought the man was going to hit my husband when we were trying to settle the fence payment (we paid half on fixing their fence). We wanted to pay it to the fencing company and he accused us of trying to weasel out - he wanted cash for himself, right then, dammit. He had clenched fists and an aggressive stance.

Angry, confrontational people scare me. There's been reports of animal poisoning in town (not my neighborhood) - poisoned meat tossed over fences. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

I'm going to look at the clicker training. Maybe have to hire someone, I hope I can manage this myself but I don't know. I work full-time and start a school course tomorrow too - I can't deal with too much right now.

I picked up my husband from the airport and told him tomorrow we need to block off the fence somehow to keep cats out, and to prevent the dog from seeing into other yards. A solid fence, rather than the open weave, would be better, but we can't afford to redo all the fences. Thousands of $$$.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I don't mean to be nasty, but why the hell did you get a rescue dog if you're not home to train it? Did you get a history of the dog? Do you know why it ended up at the Humane Society? These things are important. Maybe it got dumped because it barks all day......

Seriously, if you don't have time to train a dog, you shouldn't have one.

Last edited:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like your dog is bored, needs exercise and she's found a great way to amuse herself. Terriers are yappy, and their yapping is their way to say "I've found something!" Putting the dog on the chain will solve nothing. She'll simply bark on the chain.

Do you walk your dogs? Or do you rely on them to amuse themselves? You mention coming home at 9:30. How long are your dogs alone during the day?

A bark collar might help, but terriers are tough and once your dog becomes accustom to the vibrations/shock it might learn to tolerate it.

It would be a shame to return the dog but your neighbors shouldn't have to pay the price of incessant barking. The best you might be able to accomplish would be to keep the dog inside and then devote time and training to it when you're home. I don't think it's fair to crate the dog for hours upon hours. It's a young active dog and needs more than you letting it outside to do what it will, alone, and without human direction/interaction.

Exercise, exercise and more exercise is the answer. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have the time for the poor thing.

You mention putting up an additional fence. That won't solve anything. Perhaps you could take the money you would use on the fence and pay someone to come over and walk your dogs. Another option is doggy daycare.

I hope for your little terrier's sake you can give her what she needs. Good luck.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My parents have a cocker spaniel who howls.

Really, really howls - like yodeling at the top of her lungs and she wouldn't stop. She is a rescue from an abusive home, and attempts to train her with any kind of traditional discipline interfered with attempts to re-socialize her.

They got her a scent collar as an alternative to the shock collar. It sprays a lemon scent into their face when they bark, which gives immediate feedback even when no one is around to correct her. It's not painful, just annoying, and she learned quickly not to bark or howl if the collar was on. After a couple of days, it didn't even had to be filled with the spray, just the presence of the thing around her neck was enough.

Last edited:

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
A shock collar on a Terrier is rarely a good idea.

If you can swing it, my best, quick advice would be to find a certified behaviorist to help.

If someone starts talking a bunch of alpha crap, especially "alpha rolling," throwing around dominance theory stuff, comparing dogs to wolves (all of which have been thoroughly discredited except for TV in highly edited formats) -- take your dog and run.

If it is free roaming cats, desensitizing her to them may be a chore, but it can be done. In the meantime, I'd definitely curtail the free access to the dog door and you might fence off the area where you can't get to her, at least temporarily, so you can bring her inside as soon as she starts barking. That will be part of the learning process -- you bark, the fun's over. And don't treat her or give her any special attention when you have to bring her in for barking.

Probably a good idea to set her up in a dog proof area in the house, at least for awhile, just in case she decides to amuse herself and vent her Terrier-ness on things you really like. Be sure she has plenty of toys, and it won't hurt to not have the other dogs in the area with her when you aren't there, at least until you can be sure fights won't break out. Bored, frustrated Terriers can have a penchant for scrapping just for the fun of it, not all, but you need to get a good, solid idea of her temperament. When you are there, do put the other dogs in with her so she doesn't get possessive of the area, and do a bit of playing with her AND the other dogs there.

And if you see the cats roaming on your property, feel free to make a complaint to animal control. They won't do anything, but there will be a record that you've got a problem. Tell them you've got a stray cat issue there. Most will have humane traps you can borrow for a refundable deposit. You might need to use them.

I've had cats. I love them. I keep my cats indoors, outings on a leash. Outdoors is not a safe world for cats anymore, and it's incredibly inconsiderate of neighbors as well.

Oh -- and when you're working with your dog, always, always make sure your dog is having at least half the fun. Training should be something your dog looks forward to. Learning is most effective when it's fun.

Then end the session on a high note, and always end it before your dog wants it to end. Leave her looking forward to next time, and never underestimate the possibilities of a few good nose-to-snoot chats, telling her what you want and why. Seriously. I know it sounds looney, but I've had some great results that way :)

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a yapper myself (a stray we adopted because I couldn't stand the thought of it being put to sleep - he was about 2, according to the vet). We don't leave it outside when we're not home - he goes out (on a chain) when he needs to or when we're working outside.

I would strongly suggest that you keep it indoors when you're not home, first. Second, go out with it when it does go out - if it starts the continual barking, bang a couple of pans together with a loud "NO!" - or get a spray bottle of water and do the same thing. Eventually you'll just have to give a holler out the door when the barking starts and he'll quit. The thing is, dogs will learn to obey commands - but if you're not there to give them... Dogs also don't mind being indoors as long as they have toys to play with and a comfortable place to nap. It's like the myth that cats need to roam free - no, they really don't. I've seen too many cat carcasses on the road to believe that crap. (And I've also got a cat we found feral in the garden - she's perfectly happy napping in the window instead of the grass - doesn't even try to get back outside.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If barking means immediately (*immediately*) getting shut in, the dog might get the hint--and the neighbors will see you are doing your best to control it.

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
I think the spray collar mentioned by a poster above sounds like a good idea. I have never heard of one but would give it a try based on my own experience.
We had a terrible problem with deer in our outdoor gardens. It was basically a salad bar and they would destroy them in one night- but you never knew which night.
I bought these motion detector things which spray a stream of water when they detect motion and the yard went bare- no deer, no rabbits, no stray cats- nothing. It has worked well for many years. Nothing likes getting hit with a jolt of spray. Now my plants are all safe and the water spray is harmless- except to the occasional door to door salesman- Heh Heh Heh.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like your dog is bored, needs exercise and she's found a great way to amuse herself. Terriers are yappy, and their yapping is their way to say "I've found something!" Putting the dog on the chain will solve nothing. She'll simply bark on the chain.

Do you walk your dogs? Or do you rely on them to amuse themselves? You mention coming home at 9:30. How long are your dogs alone during the day?

A bark collar might help, but terriers are tough and once your dog becomes accustom to the vibrations/shock it might learn to tolerate it.

It would be a shame to return the dog but your neighbors shouldn't have to pay the price of incessant barking. The best you might be able to accomplish would be to keep the dog inside and then devote time and training to it when you're home. I don't think it's fair to crate the dog for hours upon hours. It's a young active dog and needs more than you letting it outside to do what it will, alone, and without human direction/interaction.

Exercise, exercise and more exercise is the answer. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have the time for the poor thing.

You mention putting up an additional fence. That won't solve anything. Perhaps you could take the money you would use on the fence and pay someone to come over and walk your dogs. Another option is doggy daycare.

I hope for your little terrier's sake you can give her what she needs. Good luck.

Exercise is great, but it probably won't solve the barking issue. Terriers are very prey driven and tenacious. Even, or maybe especially, the most well stimulated and fit terrier will react to "prey" animals.

First off, I'd confine the dog when you're not home. You can crate it indoors and still allow your other dogs access outside, or set up an area indoors for her to play that doesn't allow outdoor access.

Second, until she has a solid recall put a drag line on her when she's let out. Don't chase her around and call her while she ignores you. That poisons your "come" cue because she learns she doesn't have to listen.

Instead go out, treat or favorite toy in hand. Approach, pick up the end of the drag line, and say "COME!" (or whatever your cue is, since she learned to ignore the old one pick a new one).

Then reel her in and the instant she reaches you, shove a treat in her mouth and have a little party.

If you need a 50 foot long drag line to start with, start with that. If it needs to be 20 feet, start with that. As she gets better, you can start cutting it down. NEVER let her ignore you when you tell her to come. When she's gotten really good and the line is almost gone, it's a good idea to leave a little tab hanging off her collar for you to grab.

Also, never ever leave the drag line on her when she's unsupervised. Especially if you aren't home, and especially if she's with the other dogs. They can get tangled in legs and cause major problems if a person isn't there to intervene.

In general doing a lot of focus work will help a lot.

And nobody has mentioned it, but bark softening is an option if you exhaust all other methods and she is still making too much noise. The debarking surgery done now is nothing like it was back in the olden days. It's an outpatient procedure. The dog is sedated, and a laser is used to modify the vocal cords.

You need to keep them quiet for a few days afterward so it will heal properly, but the results are usually pretty good. Just a softer bark. I know many dogs who have had it (lots of my friends work with collies) and none of the dogs have had any negative effects from it. They can still bark, it just comes out as a soft whisper bark. So, dogs get to bark their fool heads off, neighbors can't hear them, dogs get to keep their homes. Everybody wins.

If you go that route, I'd call around and find a vet who has done the procedure before. Since it's permanent, it's something that should be considered as a last resort. But in the grand scheme of things, getting the surgery and being able to stay in a loving stable home vs. going to the shelter and possibly being euthanized, the better deal for the dog is obvious.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The citronella spray collar might help, but don't use a shock-collar: not only are they inhumane, they can provoke angry and dangerous reactions. There have been reports here in the UK of dogs being shocked by them, realising there's a child near them, blaming the child for the pain--and attacking them.

It's just not worth the risk.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that warning about the shock collars, OH. Right on target!

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, please don't use a shock collar. I recently saw a dog with burned fur around his neck from one. And it isn't the first time. I am a vet tech and have seen numerous injuries from them.

Also the person above you mentioned a neighbor that would muzzle her dog, that is a big no-no too. A dog can die from a muzzle being left on.

Now terriers bark. And they are prey-focused. It is a good idea to learn about a breed of dog before aquiring them. A terrier will definitely chase a cat in the yard. (If you see the cats, I would call animal control. In most areas, cats are not allowed to run loose). I would not let your dogs out unattended at this time. Take them for walks in the neighborhood. Even put him on a leash outside in the yard. A pain in the butt, yes, but at least you control the situation. If he barks, bring him inside. Don't yell, don't hit, any type of attention will encourage the dog and make the situation worse. He will eventually realize that barking means he goes inside and misses out on his fun.

And find a trainer. Someone who uses clickers and positive reinforcement. These are some great links to help you get started.

http://www.apdt.com/
http://www.ccpdt.org/
http://www.avsabonline.com/
http://www.clickertraining.com/

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I've been reading and reading numerous websites and blogs about this - with varying recommendations and solutions, many contradictory to each other.

"Let the dog bark until he stops!"
"Never let a dog keep barking!"

"Keep the dog confined!"
"Don't keep the dog confined - he'll bark more when out as he needs to release his energy!"
Etc.

In the past I've had a Cairn terrier, a mixed Chihuahua/terrier, and a rat terrier (still have him) in addition to the new one. The ratty (T) gets riled up and will bark *at* something/someone but only in a focused manner for a limited time. Our new girl (S) seems to bark two different ways: sometimes *at* something/someone, sometimes for no reason at all. T usually responds to "No bark!" from us - and a squirt of water if he continues. Just the sight of the spray bottle will deter him.

We put a three-foot tarp barrier around the bottom of our fences to keep her from seeing into the other yards. That seems to have helped, but not eliminated the problem.

It will also help prevent cats from casually slipping into our yard through the fence boards (where I live, many cats roam freely) but some might still jump the fence. When they run through the yard, the dogs' chase instincts kick in.

We tried using a whistle to distract her, which helps some, but the whistle sound is also annoying. I've been looking locally for a silent dog whistle but may have to order one. Not sure how well they work on non-hunting trained dogs. Will look into the spray collars - the reviews on them are polarized: either dogs respond well or not at all, it seems.

We've got empty soda cans with pennies in them to throw near her to interrupt the barking, but she has to be close enough.

I've been watching to see what sets her off - sometimes she goes out and barks in a corner close to my main room, which has several windows. I've seen her go out and bark in the corner for 5-10 seconds, then turn and look at the house as if to say, "Well, I'm barking, aren't you going to come to the door and call me?" She'll do that a few times, then usually come back inside on her own if I don't respond. If she does that more than 2-3 times I block her access to the outside and give her a chance to get out of the barking cycle.

Or, if I see her barking / looking at the house, when she comes in the next time I'll get a squeaky toy and play with her for a few minutes, until she gets bored with it.

She's a young, spirited dog who was probably living on the streets and is now adjusting to being part of a family. We got her because a previous dog died 2 years ago (my avatar) and our ratty T was bored and lonely. When we did the meet & greet at the shelter, he and S got along really well. He doesn't like all dogs, so this was a good sign. Both are neutered of course. She is sweet-natured and is trying to be good.

I'm taking more breaks from whatever I'm doing at home to play with her either inside or outside. And we're looking into some training classes - both for her and us. We need to learn how to help her most effectively. Some barking is normal and won't be alleviated, but we need to learn how to modify her behavior.

I guess I've been lucky with past dogs - never had a barky one before. I had a terrier mix as a child, then my first dogs as an adult were spaniels, then I've gone the terrier route after that. I really like spaniels, but my husband wanted a smaller dog.

I love dogs, and can't imagine not having one. I was thrilled when I was 6 and we got our Tuffy - so long ago, but I remember the day clearly.

I was quite frazzled a week ago, but with some work (for both us and her) I think the situation will become much better.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're working with her from a very intelligent perspective :)

There's only one thing all dog trainers can agree on: that the other one is wrong :D

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest that training the dog and not pissing of the neighbors are different things. The second one means that when the dog barks she has to come inside.