Do agents send unsolicited proposals

sportscribe

Registered
Reaction score
My agent informed me that he sent out my proposal to six publishers. Does he first contact an editor to see if they're interested in the project, or just send it to the editor. I'm sure that depends how established the agent is.

Any feedback is appreciated

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Practices probably differ

Most of the agents I know of (including my own) get in touch with the editor and pitch it first, usually over the phone. This often includes 'cold calls,' pitching to editor the agent doesn't know. Miss Snark also says this is her regular practice (and says most agents hate cold calling, but do it anyway).

That doesn't mean that all agents do this, however. For all I know a really high-profile agent might be able to get plenty of attention with a cover letter. But I think pre-submission contact is very common, regardless of how experienced the agent is.

Last edited:

sportscribe

Registered
Reaction score
Pre-submission Contact

Thanks, Ursus.

Interestingly, my agent values a cover letter included in the proposal detailing your subject, and showing your commitment to the project. He then encloses the cover letter with the proposal, so the publisher can also see your commitment.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
This is not meant to sound facetious, but why don't you ask your agent? I'd want to know about how my manuscript is being handled in any case.