Red ant sting - feelings?

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Would you say, by experience, that a red ant sting causes numbness...beside more common sensations, like burning pain, tenderness, tingling or itch?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the Southern US we have fire ants and their sting can be quite painful - a sharp burning sensation, not quite up to the level of a honey bee sting. However, it's rare to be stung by only one - they're very aggressive and tend to attack by quickly swarming the victim. Multiple stings are typical. It can be life threatening if the victim is allergic.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Some people say that after initial burning pain and redness, they feel numbness for the next few days. I'm asking about this specific sensation.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've felt a period of numbness once the pain subsides, but not for more than a day. The following day the spot is red and sore to the touch and a blister can rise. Within a few days the spot can itch (sometimes intensely, but scratching it makes it worse) but by then you know it's healing. Some folks are more sensitive to the stings and the healing process can take longer.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I've been bitten by fire ants too... never just one. No numbness. LOTS of burning. Iron mike describes it well. They don't sting, they bite. They are, by the way, small black ants. I don't know about red ants.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Fire ants have caused burning pain and various other unpleasant sensations, but I've never felt numbness after being bitten by them.

ThatBandKid

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I don't know why people associate fire ant stings with numbness. Some may compare the swarm of bites or stings to the sensation of, say, your foot falling asleep. Just a lot more painful.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the Southern US we have fire ants and their sting can be quite painful - a sharp burning sensation, not quite up to the level of a honey bee sting. However, it's rare to be stung by only one - they're very aggressive and tend to attack by quickly swarming the victim. Multiple stings are typical. It can be life threatening if the victim is allergic.

Ah, the Solenopsis Boogie: The dance someone does when they find that fire ants have swarmed up his jeans and he's scrambling to drop his drawers to get the ants off him. Funny as hell when it's not you.

As others have said, I don't recall any numbness after being bitten. Black flies, however, would sometimes make my lips go numb when they bit them, but never ants.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly, I've known a few people to get bitten by a sole fireant at the edge of a mound. I was one and it stung like someone shot a hot iron deep under the skin and instantly electrified it. No numbness. Big scar.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I agree. I don't know why people associate fire ant stings with numbness.

This is exactly what is my question. I'm not sure what people think when they say numbness. For me, numbness is decreased or absent feeling.

Ironmikezero above said "numbness once the pain subsides;" I believe him and this is how it is usually described in articles about insect bites. So numbness, which appears after the painful and burning sensation goes away.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember ever feeling 'numbness' after fire ant bites. Stinging, itching, burning sensations, but never numbness.