PDA

View Full Version : Gone down the rabbit hole

LOTLOF
05-11-2013, 04:23 PM
I have always loved storytelling.

Even as a kid, I would invent these wild stories with monsters and superheroes and tell them to my family and friends. In High School I would fill notebook after notebook with stories. I sent out a few submissions, and each rejection was a cruel blow to my fragile ego.

I eventually discovered fanfiction, where I was able to anonymously post my stories and discover all the many, many, MANY problems I had. Thanks to the feedback of readers, and sheer volume, I improved and gained self-confidence. I learned how to structure a plot, write dialogue, build up suspense, and other lessons. I figured out what worked and what didn’t. I developed my own voice as a writer.

I am a discovery writer. I don’t use outlines and very rarely plot scenes out beforehand. When I sit down to write a story I typically know how it starts, how it ends, and a few highlight scenes in between. For the rest I let the characters guide me.

I write in the fantasy and sci-fi genres. I love humor and tragedy, and the stories I write reflect that. I finally decided to make a serious effort to write an original novel. I spent two years writing and editing my story, The (sort of) Dark Mage. It is essentially a parody of the, ‘hero’s journey.’ A na´ve Dark Mage goes out on a quest and discovers his ideas and perspective aren’t fully appreciated by the outside world.

I decided to self-publish through Amazon. It seemed better than spending months trying to find a publisher, and likely never actually finding one. I wanted to finally see something that was completely mine out on the market. My hope was that it would be a first step in building up a fan base and eventually taking over and conquering this world.

My original goal was to get just ten sales. I just wanted ten people to be willing to spend money on an original story I had written. My secondary goal was a hundred sales, if I got that many the novel would be a complete success in my eyes.

Well I placed it on Amazon on April fifth, so at this point it has been out for five weeks. I have sold 867 ebooks as well as 13 paperbacks. My novel is ranked #1 in Amazon’s, Humor > Parodies category. Needless to say I am extremely happy, not just with its reception, but with my decision to self-publish.

Now excuse me as I get back to writing the next book, and planning my road trip to Vegas after I get my first royalty check.

LBlankenship
05-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Congratulations!

Ann Joyce
05-11-2013, 07:04 PM
It sounds like you've done something right, LOTLOF. Your numbers are very impressive. Congratulations!

RLMcKeown
05-11-2013, 07:41 PM
That's awesome! Congratulations on your success.

merrihiatt
05-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Very good news! Sounds like you made a great choice to self-publish.

UndergoingMitosis
05-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy Vegas :)

Norman D Gutter
05-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Way to go LOTLOF. Keep up the good work.

vagough
05-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Congratulations!

Spell-it-out
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
WOW! Congrats Nelson - great sales and great reviews on Amazon, keep up the good work.

C. Greenwood
05-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Congrats on the sales and may they continue. :)