PDA

View Full Version : No spoiler necessary

maestrowork
02-10-2006, 08:49 AM
What are the worst kept plot secret? Something everyone knows already without ever seeing the movie or reading the book?

Here's a few:

- Soylent Green is made of people!

- the ending of Planet of the Apes

- Luke, I'm your father...

WerenCole
02-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Anything by Brett Easton Ellis. . . the man could not write a prescription for dog food.

How about the ending to Of Mice and Men? Though, just cause you see it coming the whole time does not make it any less dramatic and heart wrenching.

scarletpeaches
02-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I didn't know the ending of Soylent Green...

Next thing you'll be telling me Rhett leaves Scarlett...

Maryn
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Rosebud was the sled.
Dil wasn't what she seemed.

Maryn, who isn't always what she seems, either

robeiae
02-10-2006, 06:35 PM
He's dead, too.
Everybody did it.
It's the guy sitting in your office, idiot!

Rob :)

NeuroFizz
02-10-2006, 06:43 PM
We traced the call. It's coming from inside your house. Get out. Now. One at a time, please.

underthecity
02-10-2006, 07:01 PM
The house was built on an ancient Indian burial ground.

It was the most important summer of their lives.

In spite of everything, he still made it home (possibly just in time for Christmas).

Their love was doomed from the start.

He succeeded in spite of the adversity.

Despite the treatment and support, he/she still died.

By working together, in spite of their disagreements, they successfully finished the project.

His very first novel sold and he became a rich and famous author.

allen

Shadow_Ferret
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Louis, this looks like the start of a beautiful friendship.

maestrowork
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I see dead people.

arrowqueen
02-10-2006, 08:49 PM
The butler did it.

Jcomp
02-11-2006, 12:47 AM
I see dead people.

Yeah, everyone's pretty well aware of the Sixth Sense ending now. That's up there on the list. Everyone knows Janet Leigh gets stabbed to death in Psycho.

Planet of the Apes ending is actually on the damn cover art of the DVD. I know it's not a big secret anymore, but still, that's just giving up there.

Everyone should be made aware that the big plot twist of The Village is that the film is not a horror movie as it was advertised to be. I love you M. Night, but you still owe me for that one pal...

jackie106
02-11-2006, 01:03 AM
The servants are dead. The children are dead. Nicole Kidman is dead. She killed herself and her kids, but now they can all play together outside!

Jackie

maestrowork
02-11-2006, 01:07 AM
It's the beauty kills the beast.

emeraldcite
02-11-2006, 01:16 AM
What really irks me is that Lucas effectively kills the biggest twists in the Star Wars sagas with the sequels.

Darth as Luke's father and the fact that Luke and Leia are twins are huge twists. If you watch the films from I through the end, all those cool revelations are revealed in Episode III.

Sucks so bad.

maestrowork
02-11-2006, 01:19 AM
What really irks me is that Lucas effectively kills the biggest twists in the Star Wars sagas with the sequels.

Darth as Luke's father and the fact that Luke and Leia are twins are huge twists. If you watch the films from I through the end, all those cool revelations are revealed in Episode III.

Sucks so bad.

But you're supposed to watch IV, V, and VI first. ;)

aspier
02-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Cosi fan tuti's what Mozart did too! Oeee this one's deep! Rofle + chortle!

rhymegirl
02-11-2006, 01:26 AM
I see dead people.

There's also a line the kid says that is a tip-off of what's to come:

"They're walking around like other people--they don't know they're dead."

maestrowork
02-11-2006, 01:30 AM
The opening shot of Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

TheIT
02-11-2006, 01:38 AM
The Sixth Sense annoyed me because I'd read a novel by Tanith Lee written years before with the same twist but done much better (IMHO). I remember watching the end to Sixth Sense and thinking, "That's what all the fuss was about?" I kept waiting for another twist.

To add to the list:

The investigating officer did it.

He's the real spy.

katiemac
02-11-2006, 01:43 AM
The Sixth Sense annoyed me because I'd read a novel by Tanith Lee written years before with the same twist but done much better (IMHO). I remember watching the end to Sixth Sense and thinking, "That's what all the fuss was about?" I kept waiting for another twist.

That's interesting. I'd read novel years before The Village with the same exact plot twist, and it was done much better. Hmm...

PattiTheWicked
02-11-2006, 01:53 AM
The Titanic sinks.

DiCaprio dies.

threedogpeople
02-11-2006, 02:08 AM
The opening shot of Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

Completely and totally off subject...BUT...did anyone but me miss the alien space ship sound effect in the new version?

Maryn
02-11-2006, 03:09 AM
The tall, ugly woman with the elaborate hair style and heavy make-up is a dude--and the killer.

louisgodwin
02-11-2006, 03:26 AM
The woman that played Roseanne Barr's sister on her tv show turned out to be one of the killers in Scream 2. Man, did I see that coming!

I was lucky enough, though, to see the first Scream wihtout having the two-killer twist spoiled for me.

Unbreakable: "They call me Mr. Glass..."

Yeah, a superhero has to have a supervillain. Saw it coming very clearly early on.

maestrowork
02-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Jesus died.

ChaosTitan
02-11-2006, 03:36 AM
The Titanic sinks.

DiCaprio dies.

An event I still celebrate to this day. :PartySmil

Um...the DiCaprio thing...not the whole ship tragedy....:e2zipped:

ChaosTitan
02-11-2006, 03:44 AM
Everyone should be made aware that the big plot twist of The Village is that the film is not a horror movie as it was advertised to be. I love you M. Night, but you still owe me for that one pal...

Dude, I had that one figured out about 30 minutes into the movie.

Other things we know:

Keyser Soze.
Carrie kills everyone at the prom.
They're pod people!
Mrs. Vorhees did it.

Serenity
02-11-2006, 03:49 AM
How about Spock's not really dead. :D

And the crew of Apollo 13 makes it safely home... :tongue

maestrowork
02-11-2006, 03:49 AM
The Village was so bad and so self-indulgent. I hope he redeems himself soon. I figured out early on, too, and was bored the whole way thinking maybe there'd be something else. Nope.

And "Signs"? Again, so disappointing (I won't spill it for those who haven't seen it, but the denouement is pretty obvious).

maestrowork
02-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Of course, Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader...

TheIT
02-11-2006, 03:54 AM
And the corollary to "he's dead":

The murder victim really isn't dead.

emeraldcite
02-11-2006, 06:44 AM
And "Signs"? Again, so disappointing (I won't spill it for those who haven't seen it, but the denouement is pretty obvious).

that movie doesn't even work on a logical level. Duh, the Earth is 70% water! Ugh. And what about humidity.

It's probably the same reason gremlins don't reproduce when running through the snow.

BlackCrowesChick
02-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Drew Barrymore dies at the beginning of Scream. Why they have her listed and advertised as the star of the film, I don't know. I don't think she was even in it for five minutes.

In Halloween, Michael Myers is Laurie Strode's (Jamie Lee Curtis's character) brother, but that isn't revealed until Halloween 2. Everyone knows it all along, though.

ChaosTitan
02-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Drew Barrymore dies at the beginning of Scream. Why they have her listed and advertised as the star of the film, I don't know. I don't think she was even in it for five minutes.

Shock value.

When Scream came out, Drew was the only recognizable name in the cast (except for "that girl from Friends"). By having her in the previews, on the poster, and in the main cast, you were completely shocked to see her killed off in the first ten minutes of the movie.

Unless you're me, and you live on spoiler sites and movie rumors. Then you knew that in advance. They kind of did the same thing in Scream 3 with Liev Schreiber's character. In the previews, on the posters, dead in the first ten minutes.

maestrowork
02-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Shock value.

When Scream came out, Drew was the only recognizable name in the cast (except for "that girl from Friends"). .

It's an old trick. In Psycho, Janet Leigh was the STAR -- nobody knew who Anthony Perkins was. But lo and behold, she was killed early on, and the whole thing about the money, etc. -- her own bit of the story -- was just a maguffin. That shocked people. It still shock people when you do it right.