PDA

View Full Version : Any Kiwis out there ?

Kaarl
05-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

I see a few of our trans-Tasman cousins but I was wondering if anyone from the motherland is out there ?

I'm living in the U.K. right now but it would be great to catch up with someone from N.Z. that also enjoys writing.

lastlittlebird
05-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm a Kiwi (well, a Kiwi-US hybrid). :hi:
There's a few of us about here.

veinglory
05-12-2013, 04:29 AM
[raises hand]

There's a few of us around here.

OJCade
05-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Hello! I too come from the land of odd birds and proper Marmite (not the sloppy British stuff). :)

Kaarl
05-12-2013, 09:11 AM
I am a traitor and prefer Vegemite. I'm glad to see there are a few of us kicking around on these forums.

I love the experience of being in the U.K. (everything is so old and historic) but I definitely miss home. What passes for a spacious back yard over here is sacrilegious.

lastlittlebird
05-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I was over in Europe recently and it is rather a shock to the system, particularly when you're used to 100 year old buildings being considered historic.

FerrisW
05-24-2013, 05:03 AM
Another Kiwi here (and I'm also new to this site)! I've been back in NZ for a couple of years after living in the UK for more than a decade. It's great to see other NZers around here!

Hilary
05-26-2013, 07:05 AM
And another one - have lived in Auckland for eighteen years although born in the UK. Can I be counted?

Carla
05-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey there - I live in Wellington. Writing poetry, kids stuff and other miscellany.

lastlittlebird
05-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Nice to see so many people here :)
I'm in Palmerston North at the moment, but I've lived in Auckland and I'm originally from Wellington.
Not writing as much as I like at the moment... I'm doing a Grad. dip. in teaching and it's running me ragged.

Kaarl
05-26-2013, 02:52 PM
And another one - have lived in Auckland for eighteen years although born in the UK. Can I be counted?

I'm sure that makes you a Kiwi , although it is Auckland .... :D

LittleKiwi
06-04-2013, 10:32 PM
*Raises hand*

Like you, I'm a kiwi living in the UK. We're currently planning our return home but it won't be for about another year yet.

mainstayministries
06-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Been to NZ before, a good place.

gingerwoman
06-08-2013, 05:04 AM
I'm a Kiwi (well, a Kiwi-US hybrid). :hi:
There's a few of us about here.
lol I am too. I was born in New York City to American parents, but I've lived here since I was 2 years old so basically a Kiwi, or a Jaffa. My debut full length novel published by Samhain is in my avatar.

amaikaorii
06-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm a kiwi! We moved to Australia in December last year, but I'm kiwi enough that the Aussies here have a hard time understanding my accent. I had no clue we sounded so different. ;)

I'm originally from Nelson, but spent most of my adult life in Christchurch until it broke. My husband was badly hurt in the quakes, so we moved here to be closer to his family. It's nice to be in a city that's still a city, and wow the weather!!! But I really miss NZ's greenness and yes..decent backyards.

LHGalloway
06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Another American-NZ transplant here, sitting in a dairy farming town in the Northland. Population: less than 500. I don't actually own any cows.

I'm originally from NYC, but spent seven years in Africa before landing here. I know how to ride an ostrich, but can't drive a car. True story.

I'm currently working on the second draft of my first novel, and obsessing over word count. Would love to meet more local writers.

gingerwoman
06-14-2013, 10:19 AM
What is your issue with word count?

LittleKiwi
06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Another American-NZ transplant here, sitting in a dairy farming town in the Northland. Population: less than 500. I don't actually own any cows.

I'm originally from NYC, but spent seven years in Africa before landing here. I know how to ride an ostrich, but can't drive a car. True story.

I'm currently working on the second draft of my first novel, and obsessing over word count. Would love to meet more local writers.

My mother's family come from Ruawai, spent a whole lot of time there growing up.

For those not living in NZ anymore, how long have you been away? Do you still get homesick?

LHGalloway
06-15-2013, 02:46 AM
What is your issue with word count?

I over plotted. When I wrote my first draft, it read like a plot summary. It came out to 77k, and I thought I was in the clear.

In my second draft, I've been adding dialogue and doing more show and less tell...and the word count per chapter has nearly doubled.

Chapters 1-10 are already 50k, and the book has 29 chapters. From lurking here, I gather that 120k is a hard sell, and 150k is fatal.

Draft 3 will involve a paring knife.

gingerwoman
06-15-2013, 08:58 AM
If you want a book long enough for agents it probably needs to be 85 thousand words or more if you want a book for the digital first market it can be a lot of lengths and 50-70 is good for an e-book novel.My novel is coming out in print, but my editor said the vast majority of my sales will be e-book.

gingerwoman
06-15-2013, 09:00 AM
My mother's family come from Ruawai,
I've just lived in Auckland most of my life so maybe I don't count as a real Kiwi. lol

LHGalloway
06-15-2013, 09:50 AM
For those of you with agents, have you sought representation outside of NZ? There doesn't seem to be many agents here, especially those with a strong reputation.

Publisher Random House NZ takes direct submissions, but Harper Collins NZ requires an agent.

I'm thinking an international agent is the best approach for a NZ-based author?

lastlittlebird
06-15-2013, 11:00 AM
For those of you with agents, have you sought representation outside of NZ? There don't seem to be many agents here, especially those with a strong reputation.

Publisher Random House NZ takes direct submissions, but Harper Collins NZ requires an agent.

I'm thinking an international agent is the best approach for a NZ-based author?

Yup. I wouldn't limit myself to NZ agents or publishers.

From my limited experience (did a Masters at the IIML, so I've met and talked to a few "names" in the industry, but I don't have an agent) NZ publishing is still operating by and large the way it did in the 80's, with the assumption that writers will submit straight to the press and will then stick with that press for any subsequent books. No agent needed.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing... but it limits your chances of making enough to pay your utility bill by a considerable amount. Local presses are never going to sell more than a few thousand copies, simply because we don't have the population to do anything else.

Submit anywhere that will have you and even places that you suspect won't. That should go for everyone, kiwi or not :)

LittleKiwi
06-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I've just lived in Auckland most of my life so maybe I don't count as a real Kiwi. lol

Haha, I grew up in Auckland.

LittleKiwi
06-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Yup. I wouldn't limit myself to NZ agents or publishers.

From my limited experience (did a Masters at the IIML, so I've met and talked to a few "names" in the industry, but I don't have an agent) NZ publishing is still operating by and large the way it did in the 80's, with the assumption that writers will submit straight to the press and will then stick with that press for any subsequent books. No agent needed.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing... but it limits your chances of making enough to pay your utility bill by a considerable amount. Local presses are never going to sell more than a few thousand copies, simply because we don't have the population to do anything else.

Submit anywhere that will have you and even places that you suspect won't. That should go for everyone, kiwi or not :)

Agreed, decide who you're going submit to based on which agent is best for your story, not where they live. I've managed to find very few details about NZ agents who are experienced with YA books, don't think I'd feel comfortable submitting to them.

NicolaD
06-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Kiwi here, from the mighty Waikato.

In terms of agents, I don't know any writers who are repped in NZ. They all have American agents. None have ever had any problem representing an overseas writer, the timezone difference is fairly easy to manage with email/phone. Guess it depends on what market you are aiming for.

OJCade
06-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Hey, I'm from the Waikato too! Cambridge, to be precise... :)

Kaarl
06-23-2013, 07:12 PM
For those not living in NZ anymore, how long have you been away? Do you still get homesick?

2 years on this stretch , lasted 5 in Oz. I get homesick , all this talk of the Waikato is making me miss my favourite green bottle.

Hiya all !

veinglory
06-23-2013, 09:46 PM
I left in 1999 "for a few years". The best laid plans of mice and men etc.

AlanaL
06-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi there,

IŽm not a kiwi but I went to NZL on my honeymoon and I just loved it. The landscape, the people, everything. IŽll definitely come back some day!

WRichards
07-29-2013, 09:06 AM
hey all! another one here live in Christchurch. Good to see there is a few of us here.

StarryEyes
07-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Hi guys! I'm a Kiwi too, back to the forum after disappearing for several months. I'm originally from Wellington, left for Europe when I was four years old, and in September I'm going to study Creative Writing in the UK. But no matter where I am, I'll always be a Kiwi :)

SillyLittleTwit
08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Another Kiwi here (Dunedin).

On my current project, I tried the four NZ agents listed in the Writers and Artists Yearbook, got rejected, so am currently having the fun of contacting those overseas agents who actually accept emails.

nionvox
08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

I see a few of our trans-Tasman cousins but I was wondering if anyone from the motherland is out there ?

I'm living in the U.K. right now but it would be great to catch up with someone from N.Z. that also enjoys writing.

/wave

Kiwi ex-pat here, currently living in Canada.

NoGuessing
08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Signing in. Taranaki is home, but currently studying in Palmerston North.

Noniej
09-28-2013, 02:53 AM
I'm from Ireland but I've been living in Auckland with my Kiwi hubby for the past 8 years and it's very much home. (Waves) Hi Lisa - we've met a few times at RWNZ stuff :-) It's fantastic to see you so successful!

My story, Selma's Choice, was one of the successful submissions for the Lemon Twist Press anthology and will be on sale on 3 October. This time next week there will be a book out there with my name on the front cover! :-)

I've been a member of this site for ages but I'm only just realising how good it is.

Cheers

Norah Jansen

Izz
09-28-2013, 03:11 AM
Another Kiwi checking in. :)

writer_mccall
02-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Bumping this thread , another Kiwi here. Finally back in the homeland after being in other countries for several years

mccardey
02-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Good heavens! I think there might be more of you lot on AW than there are Aussies... :e2faint: Not surprising - you have some brilliant writers. I love reading New Zealand.

akiwiguy
03-25-2014, 01:43 AM
Back in Taranaki.

NicolaD
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Good heavens! I think there might be more of you lot on AW than there are Aussies... :e2faint: Not surprising - you have some brilliant writers. I love reading New Zealand.

First part of our evil world domination plan is infiltration. We are EVERYWHERE. :D

justmercedes
04-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Kia ora! New member, living in Paekakariki, back in NZ for 6 years after 40 years in Oz and USA. It's a different country! Find links to my writing at

www.benchpress.co.nz

Kaarl
04-30-2014, 05:07 AM
For better or worse :) ?

e.istre91
05-15-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm from the United States, but I'll be in Christchurch, NZ at least for the next 3 years. Hello all.

OJCade
05-16-2014, 01:06 AM
The South Island's an awesome place to be, e.istre91. Welcome! There's a lot of good tramping (hiking) there if you're interested in that. :)

e.istre91
05-16-2014, 02:37 AM
The South Island's an awesome place to be, e.istre91. Welcome! There's a lot of good tramping (hiking) there if you're interested in that. :)
Yep I'm waiting for the warmer weather to roll around, but then I plan on hiking as much as I can.

herself
05-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Oo, well, here's another!

I'm a US / Kiwi hybrid too - jeepers there are a few of us as well! Live in Wellington, though I went to high school in Taupo and uni in Dunners :D All up, have lived in NZ for 24 years!

Really, really cool to see so many kiwis here :D

OJCade
05-17-2014, 01:41 AM
Yep I'm waiting for the warmer weather to roll around, but then I plan on hiking as much as I can.

Don't miss the Kepler track! Everyone says do Milford, and they're right it is spectacular, but Kepler is stunning.

Check out the DOC (Dept. of Conservation) site for the Great Walks (http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/great-walks/)and other tramping tracks. :)

ckmartin
06-26-2014, 05:40 AM
I'm not a Kiwi, but I have been in Christchurch for six months helping with the rebuild. My work here is now done, but it was good to be an honorary member for a while.

Will definitely be back this way in a decade or so to see how it all turns out.

Carlsen Highway
06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
You can't go anywhere on the interweb without running into Kiwi infiltrators. We should have a secret handshake. Or carry a folded NZ Herald.

I am in Dunedin. Well, Port Chalmers actually.

SamuelKristopher
07-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Another Kiwi here! I miss New Zealand, but I like being in Europe, at the centre of world culture. As a lover of opera, one can simply not compare Europe with NZ. I mean, they do try in Wellington and Auckland, but it's just not the same. Plus, Europe is closer to everywhere for traveling :)

Chapters 1-10 are already 50k, and the book has 29 chapters. From lurking here, I gather that 120k is a hard sell, and 150k is fatal.

I suppose I should be worried that my first novel came out at 310,000 words?

KJ Palmer
07-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Du bist nicht liebe Deutschland?? Sad....

MaoriWriter
12-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Kia Ora koutou katoa!!!

He 'tumomo Kiwi' ahau lol - jokes, heya everyone!! I'm a Maori girl, Kiwi living in Aussie :) Awesome to see some Kiwi's around here. I'm SOOOOOO FOB to this and have even had a little bit of a growling (lol) because I didn't know the house rules proper. But hey!!! All good :) I know now!!!

Awesome to read what other people are up to. Anyone here Maori or Nesian by any chance? Just out of interest :)

Kia Ora raa :)

Kim
www.maoriwriter.com

Unimportant
12-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Kia ora, Kim! I'm another Yank transplant to NZ -- love it here, and am never going back :D

MaoriWriter
12-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Kia ora, Kim! I'm another Yank transplant to NZ -- love it here, and am never going back :D

Kia Ora ummmm…..'Yank Transplant' lol. Arohamai lol, I'm FOB as to this whole writing forum thingy. Even gota growling on my first day (Maaaari lol) but learning learning :) Thanks for the message and hope the States is cranking Xmas for ya!!! :) Ngaa mihi raa :)

Unimportant
12-26-2014, 12:26 PM
KiaThanks for the message and hope the States is cranking Xmas for ya!!! :) Ngaa mihi raa :)
Nah, mate, bugger the States! I may have been born there, but I've been living in NZ for twelve years, and got my NZ citizenship earlier this year. I'm a proper Kiwi now, and am very proud of it! And I plan to stay in NZ, like, forever.

MaoriWriter
12-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Nah, mate, bugger the States! I may have been born there, but I've been living in NZ for twelve years, and got my NZ citizenship earlier this year. I'm a proper Kiwi now, and am very proud of it! And I plan to stay in NZ, like, forever.

LOL!!! Ok, I just saw you posted up in my other thread :) And I spoke to you in Maori lol - don't answer haha!!! I only asked you can you speak Maori and where are you from?

My GOSH!!! YOU ARE IN NZ!!! LOVE it :)

LittleKiwi
12-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Kia Ora koutou katoa!!!

He 'tumomo Kiwi' ahau lol - jokes, heya everyone!! I'm a Maori girl, Kiwi living in Aussie :) Awesome to see some Kiwi's around here. I'm SOOOOOO FOB to this and have even had a little bit of a growling (lol) because I didn't know the house rules proper. But hey!!! All good :) I know now!!!

Awesome to read what other people are up to. Anyone here Maori or Nesian by any chance? Just out of interest :)

Kia Ora raa :)

Kim
www.maoriwriter.com

Kia Ora Kim,

Man, I wish I'd had more of an opportunity to learn Maori while I was home, I regret not pushing it more while I had the chance.

Last time I posted I was in England, but now I'm in Melbourne, Australia. How long have you been over here?

Claire

gingerwoman
01-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Waves) Hi Lisa - we've met a few times at RWNZ stuff :-) It's fantastic to see you so successful!

My story, Selma's Choice, was one of the successful submissions for the Lemon Twist Press anthology and will be on sale on 3 October. This time next week there will be a book out there with my name on the front cover! :-)

I've been a member of this site for ages but I'm only just realising how good it is.

Cheers

Norah Jansen
Hi Norah.

SillyLittleTwit
08-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Back on the forum after a break...

gingerwoman
08-18-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm from Ireland but I've been living in Auckland with my Kiwi hubby for the past 8 years and it's very much home. (Waves) Hi Lisa - we've met a few times at RWNZ stuff :-) It's fantastic to see you so successful!

Cheers

Norah Jansen

Hi Norah, I realized my simple "Hi Norah." earlier may have seemed unenthusiastic, or not very friendly. I realize I made that post 24 days, after my husband of twenty years died completely unexpectedly at New Years, so I was pretty much a zombie at the time of posting.

MikeBWriter
08-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi guys and dolls. I'm from all over, but yeah grew up in kiwiland. Living here now.
Would love to travel again, but probably ideal dream would be to own a house in the wairarapa and a boat in wellington.

MikeBWriter
08-19-2015, 12:29 PM
(my pronunciation is perfect but I've never written in Maori before, please forgive the poor spelling)
haere mai, haere mai, haere mai.
tena koutou, tena koutou, tena koutou katoa.
kata pai,
noho tamariki
ko mike ahau
ko colchester castle toku whare
ko penerakau, weriweri, me te auahatanga toku kaha (a little help from a friend on that one, could be wrong)

gingerwoman
08-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Hi Norah, I realized my simple "Hi Norah." earlier may have seemed unenthusiastic, or not very friendly. I realize I made that post 24 days, after my husband of twenty years died completely unexpectedly at New Years, so I was pretty much a zombie at the time of posting.

The problem with owning a house, can be that everyone expects you to actually have money if you own a house, and expects you to pay for stuff relating to owning a house. My essential bathroom repairs now at nearly $10,000.

MikeBWriter
08-19-2015, 01:11 PM
I would live in a van but I can't drive, so I'm thinking rent a house in the wairarapa, buy a scooter, buy a boat in the city, then buy a house when I'm rich.

Lunaty
10-06-2015, 04:37 AM
Waving hello :)

Have been living in NZ for the past 8 years now though Im originally from the Netherlands.
I had no idea we had this many kiwi's in AW!

Awesome :D

L M Ashton
10-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Howdy! I'm not a kiwi, but the husband and I lived in Auckland for half a year. Can we count as being, well, maybe not honorary kiwis but sort of wannabes?

OJCade
10-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Course you can! :)

You've just got to agree to always support the All Blacks against Australia and insist - against any possible evidence and reason - that we had pavlova first and you're good

L M Ashton
10-14-2015, 02:10 PM
1. I have no idea what sport that even is, but sure, I'll support NZ. No problem!

2. I think I've had pavlova once. I have no emotional ties to it, so if NZ wants to claim it, fine by me!

NicolaD
10-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Haha - All Blacks are the NZ rugby team. Rugby isn't so much a sport in NZ as a religion!

But a special welcome to all new Kiwis. Great to have you here.

AnnieDreamWalker
12-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a Kiwi living in the Hauraki District so I thought I'd wave my hand and say, 'Hi'.

KiwiChick
02-28-2016, 04:31 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm a Kiwi, currently living in Wellington. Great to see there are so many of us around AW. :)

Fantasyart
03-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Hi all, I'm another Kiwi living in Auckland, been in Auckland all my life and that's a long time when you reach my age ha ha ha lol nice to see so many of us in here :)

KiwiChick
03-06-2016, 12:46 AM
Hi all, I'm another Kiwi living in Auckland, been in Auckland all my life and that's a long time when you reach my age ha ha ha lol nice to see so many of us in here :)

Hiya, Fantasyart! I won't hold being an Aucklander against you.

Probably.

Much.

Fantasyart
03-06-2016, 03:40 AM
Hiya, Fantasyart! I won't hold being an Aucklander against you.

Probably.

Much.

So pleased to hear that ha ha and I shell not hold it against you for being a Wellynite (Own word invention) woo hoo! lol

I'm a different bunch of flowers ha ha

brswain
03-12-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm not a Kiwi, but I've spent a lot of time here in NZ since 2014.

I'm an American on a cruising yacht. We spent last cyclone season here, getting lots of work done and touring the country. We're back this year since November. We plan to be here until early May, once again.

We absolutely love it here, it's the first place we've ever come back to since leaving the U.S. in 2012. And we'll be sad when we leave in May, because it will likely be years before we can swing by again...but the rest of the world awaits. It's too comfy to keep staying here.

KiwiChick
03-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Enjoy your stay, brswain!

jevvv
06-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Waving to say hi from northern Auckland... just out of Warkworth, to be more accurate.

Delighted to see so many Kiwis here, and those who weren't originally Kiwis but have discovered our little corner of the globe and want to stick around :)

KiwiChick
06-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Waving to say hi from northern Auckland... just out of Warkworth, to be more accurate.

Delighted to see so many Kiwis here, and those who weren't originally Kiwis but have discovered our little corner of the globe and want to stick around :)

Hi, Jevvv!

Albedo
10-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Who knows New Zealand? Particularly the southern bits? Help my plan my trip! I've currently got two or three days in December after leaving Queenstown, before I need to fly back to Christchurch. My initial plan was to drive to Milford Sound reeeeeeally early in the morning, beat the rush there and do a boat tour, then amble back to Te Anau in the afternoon, where I'd stay overnight, then possibly do a cruise with kayaking and laid back stuff on Doubtful Sound, maybe overnight, before driving in a rush back to Queenstown Airport on the third day to make the flight. The alternative would be to find something to do for half a day in Te Anau, then fly back spend an extra day in Christchurch instead. Am I MAD to try and fit all that driving, cruising and scenery into two or three days? Are there any good half day treks or something I could do as an alternative to the cruise?

Albedo
10-13-2016, 05:14 PM
I booked the cruise. Because really, are you going to turn down a night on a boat (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/g9vIGNk3oso/maxresdefault.jpg) here (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8005/7555317782_bc3f8b2ea6_o.jpg)? Instead I'll do Milford in the late afternoon the second day, and head back to Christchurch the next morning, giving me a day and a half there. The best solution! I should be a travel agent. I'm getting good at this holiday planning stuff.

KiwiChick
10-13-2016, 10:54 PM
I booked the cruise. Because really, are you going to turn down a night on a boat (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/g9vIGNk3oso/maxresdefault.jpg) here (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8005/7555317782_bc3f8b2ea6_o.jpg)? Instead I'll do Milford in the late afternoon the second day, and head back to Christchurch the next morning, giving me a day and a half there. The best solution! I should be a travel agent. I'm getting good at this holiday planning stuff.

I hope you have an amazing trip!

Sorry I didn't give you my suggestions. I haven't been to that part of the country in a long time.

Albedo
10-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Thanks! I'm pretty sure it will be amazing. I've only been to NZ once in 1996, when I was a kid, and we only went to Auckland and Rotorua. I've always wanted to go back. This time, I'm trying to squeeze in a lot more: a loop around the southern half of the North Island, and then an 8 day drive down the west coast of the South Island.

MaeZe
11-13-2016, 09:03 PM
I hope you are all safe. Current events is closed so I don't know where else to post about last night's quake and tsunami.

Jason
11-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Friend was caught in that - 7.8 magnitude is pretty serious! She says still getting aftershocks too

Susannah Shepherd
11-14-2016, 12:09 AM
We are in Wellington and safe, our house is only slightly damaged but the CBD is closed until structural integrity can be checked. The worst of it for us was that the tsunami sirens went off about 2.5 hours after the earthquake so we had to pull on some clothes, grab the cat and head inland until the threat had passed. We are still getting aftershocks over magnitude 5 about every 10-15 minutes, 9 hours on.

Jason
11-14-2016, 12:18 AM
Stay safe! Thoughts and prayers for everyone in NZ....

KiwiLady
11-14-2016, 12:23 AM
I'm just south of Christchurch and we're all good here, too. For us, it wasn't as bad as the quakes six years ago but a lot of people have decided to keep their kids home from school today, a lot of people are feeling very scared again.

AW Admin
11-14-2016, 12:26 AM
Thanks for checking in; I've been checking on our Kiwis to see if they've logged in.

I very much know what you're going through; I lived in SoCal for 20+ years, through two serious quakes.

Really appreciate hearing that you're OK.

Roxxsmom
11-14-2016, 12:28 AM
Sending everyone in NZ the best.

mrsmig
11-14-2016, 12:44 AM
Seconding that. Stay safe.

Netz
11-14-2016, 03:42 AM
Thirding that (I was in NZ only last month on holiday, so my thoughts and prayers are with the people I met over there and the people affected this time around).

edutton
11-14-2016, 05:03 AM
I'm just south of Christchurch and we're all good here, too.Glad to hear it!

KiwiChick
11-14-2016, 06:48 AM
Last night was pretty freaky, but no damage to our place outside Wellington, thankfully. Off work today, so I wrote a blog post about my earthquake experience (see my signature).

MaeZe
11-14-2016, 07:32 AM
Last night was pretty freaky, but no damage to our place outside Wellington, thankfully. Off work today, so I wrote a blog post about my earthquake experience (see my signature).

I thought this was cute from your blog:
But I do have one rule that I’d like to insist on, especially in light of last night’s events.

The ground should not move.

As for the doorway, that's not the best choice according to our USGS unless you live in an older unreinforced masonry house.

FICTION: During an earthquake you should head for the doorway. (https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/megaqk_facts_fantasy.php)

That’s outdated advice. In past earthquakes in unreinforced masonry structures and adobe homes, the door frame may have been the only thing left standing in the aftermath of an earthquake. Hence, it was thought that safety could be found by standing in doorways. In modern homes doorways are no stronger than any other parts of the house and usually have doors that will swing and can injure you.

YOU ARE SAFER PRACTICING THE “DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON” maneuver under a sturdy piece of furniture like a strong desk or table. If indoors, stay there. Drop to the floor, make yourself small and get under a desk or table or stand in a corner. If outdoors, get into an open area away from trees, buildings, walls and power lines. If in a high-rise building, stay away from windows and outside walls, stay out of elevators, and get under a table. If driving, pull over to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses and power lines. Stay inside your car until the shaking is over. If in a crowded public place, do not rush for the doors. Crouch and cover your head and neck with your hands and arms. You should practice the “DROP, COVER AND HOLD ON” method at work and at home at least twice a year.

Last bigger quake I was in, I ran outside against this advice. I do not want to be buried in a collapsed building. I guess it will depend on how close I am to the door the next time.

AW Admin
11-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Depending on the building, and your options, you might want to go for a sturdy table or desk. Doorways of modern buildings may fail.

And people may crowd them.

Watch out for glass from windows and light fixtures suspended from the ceiling.

For large lecture halls with multiple aisles and exits, treat it like they do on an airplane; look for the closest exit out of the building.

Watch for people who get trapped by crowds or objects. It's often better to think for two seconds than it is to panic.

KiwiChick
11-14-2016, 07:42 AM
As for the doorway, that's not the best choice according to our USGS unless you live in an older unreinforced masonry house.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I've heard various conflicting things about this, but there's no sturdy furniture to take cover under in the bedroom, and when you're woken up in the middle of the night you tend to go for the first thing they teach you as a kid.

Like you, I'm very keen to not be buried in a collapsed building.

Helix
11-14-2016, 07:43 AM

I was relieved to see that my Kiwi friends checking in on FB last night were mostly lamenting the fate of wine in unsecured racks.

AW Admin
11-14-2016, 07:48 AM
I was relieved to see that my Kiwi friends checking in on FB last night were mostly lamenting the fate of wine in unsecured racks.

:D

I know that one—the 1994 quake collapsed all but one book case (a folding bookcase didn't budge!), and the wine rack which was, like most of the cases, properly secured to studs, pulled of the plaster and fell over, smashing most of the wine bottles.

There were so many books on the floor in the study that we had to take the door off the hinges to get inside.

The single bottle of Scotch survived unharmed. This was probably meant as a sign that I should learn to like Scotch.

KiwiChick
11-14-2016, 07:50 AM

Our wine, thankfully, came through unscathed. I knew there was a reason to store it on the floor.

Jason
11-14-2016, 07:56 AM
:D

I know that one—the 1994 quake collapsed all but one book case (a folding bookcase didn't budge!), and the wine rack which was, like most of the cases, properly secured to studs, pulled of the plaster and fell over, smashing most of the wine bottles.

There were so many books on the floor in the study that we had to take the door off the hinges to get inside.

The single bottle of Scotch survived unharmed. This was probably meant as a sign that I should learn to like Scotch.

Thankful I've never had to experience an earthquake, but would highly recommend learning about scotches, especially the single malts.

Fair warning - the good ones are NOT cheap, but they ARE quite delicious

KiwiChick
11-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Thankful I've never had to experience an earthquake, but would highly recommend learning about scotches, especially the single malts.

Fair warning - the good ones are NOT cheap, but they ARE quite delicious

Duly noted.

Haggis
11-14-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm delighted to hear our Kiwi's made it through this.

We're not missing anyone, are we?

KiwiLady
11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks, everyone, for caring about us over here. For me, today's earthquakes were nothing compared to the ones six years ago, but I was just watching the news and had tears in my eyes watching the people who have been affected. Reminded me how frightened I felt after the Christchurch quakes and how I just wanted someone to come and help us. It's a hard thing to describe. Feeling for the people who live at the epicenter.

Susannah Shepherd
11-16-2016, 02:36 PM
I thought this was cute from your blog:

FICTION: During an earthquake you should head for the doorway. (https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/megaqk_facts_fantasy.php)

Last bigger quake I was in, I ran outside against this advice. I do not want to be buried in a collapsed building. I guess it will depend on how close I am to the door the next time.

Running outside is a really bad idea in lots of older buildings - in the 2011 earthquake in Christchurch, a lot of people were killed by falling building facades when doing just that, especially 19th century masonry buildings. They fell outwards.

And I can attest to the doorway being a bad idea; in a previous big quake I got into the frame of a (luckily lightweight) sliding door then had it smack me in the ribs repeatedly for a minute. This time I huddled on the floor next to the bed, which was just fine...

Albedo
11-16-2016, 04:19 PM
NZ, I'm still coming over in about two weeks! I FORBID you from sinking beneath the waves before then.

JoMcC
11-17-2016, 02:18 AM
Hi

I'm Jo and I'm a Skiwi (a Scottish Kiwi). Living in Auckland and almost finished writing my first novel.

Really hoping that the shaking soon stops for all those down south.

KiwiChick
11-19-2016, 10:40 PM
I'm Jo and I'm a Skiwi (a Scottish Kiwi). Living in Auckland and almost finished writing my first novel.

Really hoping that the shaking soon stops for all those down south.

Hi, Jo! I hope so too. All the best with your novel. :)

Albedo
12-04-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm over here now, and I felt that one.

Helix
12-05-2016, 08:04 AM
I'm over here now, and I felt that one.

You've only been there a few days and already the NZ PM has stepped down.

be frank
12-05-2016, 08:09 AM

Maybe we should crowdfund to send Albedo to America next January?

Helix
12-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Maybe we should crowdfund to send Albedo to America next January?

We need an AW version of Fry saying "Shut up and take my money".

Albedo
12-05-2016, 09:56 AM
You laugh, but I actually went on a tour of the parliament this morning. :O I'm a little bit scared of my own powers.

dot-dot-dash
10-11-2017, 12:46 AM
Another Pom from Auckland, only seven years under my belt, so I'm probably an edge case. But our kids say pin when they want a pen, does that get me in?

veinglory
10-11-2017, 01:10 AM
Well they are either Kiwis, or from Missouri....

nelehjr
10-13-2017, 11:51 PM
A kiwi is an Australian, right?

mccardey
10-13-2017, 11:59 PM
A kiwi is an Australian, right?
Oh good grief. No.

veinglory
10-14-2017, 12:25 AM
In as much as a Yank is a Canuck, sure.

mccardey
10-14-2017, 12:38 AM
The Kiwis are the nice ones.

P.K. Torrens
10-22-2017, 11:02 PM
I'm also a JAFA.

Currently in Edinburgh but heading back in June 2018.

We now have a 37 year old female prime minister, woot!

eastallegheny
01-02-2018, 02:32 PM
And in my traditional manner, I am over a month too late to the party.

Christchurch here. I've been here a couple of days! (Er, here on the site, not here in Christchurch.)

KiwiinLondon
01-25-2018, 03:10 PM
So excited there's a wee kiwi forum! I'm from Hawkes Bay, but living in London.

veinglory
01-25-2018, 09:34 PM
We do get around

Velvet27
02-05-2018, 04:03 AM
I didn't know there was a Kiwi thread! Ha. Anyway, hi all. I'm in Auckland, stay at home mum with minimal spare time that I spend either writing or reading :)

EtonMess
05-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Wellingtonian here!

Lady Fox
06-01-2018, 02:52 AM
Oooh a kiwi thread. I'm in Christchurch but from Manchester, England - I am, however, an honorary kiwi.