Re-print?

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersinprogresswip.blogspot.com
I published a short story in a new anthology about 3 years ago. A friend told me I should consider sending it through Amazon as a stand alone short story but I can't find the contract so I'm not sure about the reprint rights. The publisher hasn't put out anything for about 2 years and duotrope says it may be defunct.

Thoughts?

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Many markets ask for only a year or so of exclusive publishing, although it's not really wise to assume. If it was an email contract, you can search your inbox for it (if you store emails) or your 'sent' mail folder if you scanned & emailed your signed version. Barring that, see if any of your fellow authors in the anthology have since reprinted their stories. But I don't suppose I need to tell you that from now on, always keep track of your contracts (or at least the expiration dates!)

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I had a hard copy and it got lost in one of my multiple moves, twice in in the last year (either that or the ex-wife took that file). ;)

I vaguely remember a brief line about re-printing and I think it was a year now that you mention it. Thanks.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't rely on your memory alone. You have vague recollections about what that passage said, and you could get burned if you aren't correct. Track down your copy of the document or contact the publisher for another so you are Absolutely Certain.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding what Ben said.

You signed a legally-binding contract. You can't just hope now that you get things right: you have to adhere to that contract. If you can't get hold of a copy of it to ensure you're doing things right, you shouldn't do anything with that story.

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm also talking to the other authors from the anthology. I'm not doing anything until I confirm. I tried calling the publisher once and got some generic voice mail (like the default from a new phone/answering machine).