Formatting on queries

Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
When copying the first ten pages, two chapters, etc. into emails I have been formatting it so there are no indents at the beginning of paragraphs and a single space in between each paragraph. I always thought this would look fine for email queries but then I saw this written on a small publisher's website:

If you’re worried that your email client has deleted your paragraph indentations when you copied and pasted the first 5,000 words, use the commonly accepted email format of an extra space between paragraphs. If you don’t know the find and replace commands to quickly do that, the magazine Heroic Fantasy Quarterly kindly wrote out a quick formatting shortcut for just this reason.

That got me thinking—maybe the appropriate thing to do is to have it indented at the beginning of each paragraph. What do you all do—no indents or indents? Maybe I'm over-thinking this and it doesn't matter either way, but I just wanted to check. Thanks!

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
If it's sent as part of the email, I use standard email formatting (no indents, single-spaced, extra line between paragraphs). If it's an attachment, then I use standard manuscript format (indent, double-spaced, no extra line).

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
If it's sent as part of the email, I use standard email formatting (no indents, single-spaced, extra line between paragraphs). If it's an attachment, then I use standard manuscript format (indent, double-spaced, no extra line).

This. It's devilishly hard to get long stretches of indented, paragraph-style text to look the same way from one system to another. You can email from your Gmail account to your Yahoo account to your work Outlook account and have it look fine, and then the agency/publisher uses Notes. :p

No one sane is gonna ding you for block paragraphs in an email query.