Pantomime

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Firstly, I apologise that it's been an insane amount of time since I've posted on this forum (various reasons but the main one being that I stopped writing!), and that my first post back is a request for information, but .........I've done a search and either through my own inability to see things clearly, or my impatience to find what I'm looking for, I have been unable to find any threads/posts on the art of the Pantomime. Is there anyone out there who has every written one? Or who has any general information on structure, etc.

I know this is a very general and vague request but at this stage I'm just pulling as much information together as I can before I move on.

Thanks in anticipation!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome back!

Gotta admit I can't recall ever seeing any conversations on pantomimes hereabouts.

I guess you've already searched Google or similar engines for the obvious, like "how to write a pantomime script"

-Derek

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Yes. I've written them. My wife studied mime under Marcel Marceau, in Paris.

Scripts were generally written out as descriptive narratives. More as a guideline for our own reference. They were 'worked through' and polished on stage. Any lighting cues were then added in, and given to the light/sound operators. They learned the piece in rehearsal.

That's pretty much it.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
John Townsends wonderful book "Clowns" - discusses the early history of pantomime, and the comedia del arte. Apparently there are still extant 'scripts' for the early Comedia shows. Of course, they refer to specific gags, or "Lazzi" - as if they were well known and understood. "Harlequin enters, and performs the ladder lazzi..."

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
The first thing that pops into my head are a couple of really entertaining pantomime scripts from Samuel Beckett. If you find a complete works of Beckett you will likely find them in there.