• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Swap for YA speculative romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllieS08

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm looking for a beta reader for my 90k word YA speculative romance, THE DRUMMING SONG. In a reader, I'm hoping for someone who will identify parts of the MS where the pacing is off, unneeded scenes, and if the characters are well developed. Also, I just want to know if they like the story!

I'd be happy to swap manuscripts, as long as it's YA or MG. The genres I'm best at critiquing are fantasy, sci-fi, and romance, but I'm open to reading something outside that.

To see if we're a good fit, I'd want to swap the first two chapters, then decide from there. A summary of the story is below, and if you're interested, send me a PM.

Summary:

The night seventeen-year-old Drea Rune moves to a new town, a drumbeat pounds in her head—one that makes her skin tingle, her blood race, and gives her a high she thought only drugs made possible. Hoping to rule out insanity as the cause, she traces the music to a shack at the edge of a meadow, and four teenagers who believed the drum only called to them.

The drummers make it clear Drea must treat the drum as a gift, and reveal strange rules, like not to go near the fog-filled forest mentioned by a local myth. Drea’s happy to obey, mostly because Otto, the perpetually barefoot, wild-haired drummer, teaches her to drum. Pretty soon, she’s ditching thoughts of her culinary future and spending evenings ravine diving with Otto and indulging in musical bliss. The high he gives her is almost as delicious as the taste of his lips.

But Drea can’t accept that the drum’s powers are unexplainable, especially when she researches the myth and uncovers rumors of a creature’s slaughter—one whose hide might be on the drumhead. The more she learns, the more she questions the drummers’ carefully hidden world, and the thrilling relationship with Otto she might be addicted to.

Because it turns out the drumming song isn’t a gift. It’s a curse.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
What's the word count? I have a YA novel that's (almost) complete. Right now it's 45K, I just want to add another 5 to 10K for the ending. If you want to swap, let me know.

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember being intrigued when I saw this in QLH. If you're still looking, I'd be happy to beta the first 3 chapters (then we'll see how it goes from there). PM me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.