Query envelopes

flashy95

Registered
Reaction score
I know that a lot of attention is given to the query letter formatting -- margins, length, paper quality, etc. But when it comes to the envelopes, do the same rules apply?
Do you HAVE to run an envelope through a laser printer to apply the agent's info and your own info on the SASE? Are return labels acceptable on the SASE? After all, they DO have all of the necessary information. Can the agent's information be handwritten or printed on the initial envelope?
Are these things acceptable, or do they scream "UNPROFESSIONAL HACK!" on sight?
Thanks,

John
PS Check out my (brand new) blog at http://learnmegood2.blogspot.com

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure quite a few prefer the self-sealing kind.

Typed addresses/labels certainly always look more professional, but IMHO I don't think handwritten ones are an issue, as long as they're neat and legible.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
#10 business envelopes are the best. Self-sealing is nice, but not necessary. Labels are just fine; no need to run it through laser printers (many people don't have laser printers). As long as you don't hand write the addresses, it's fine. Make sure you have enough postage.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Some agents specify--

I've never heard of anyone getting twitchy on the means of planting the address on the envelope, but at least one (maybe Ethan Ellenberg) specifies self-sealing envelopes...

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you get the self-sealing kind? It's not that much more. As for the return address, that's just a copy/paste from your query letter to your pre-formatted SASE--a couple of seconds to give your query package an overall professional look.

flashy95

Registered
Reaction score
Sure Julie, that's IF you have a perfectly functioning laser printer at home. But if you don't, and you're planning on printing the query letter/manuscript at a Kinko's or some other place, then you also have to take another "envelope" file on disk, as well as the envelopes. Also, I have not printed much stuff at Kinko's besides 8.5"X11" papers, so I don't really know how much of a hassle it is (or not) to hand them envelopes and ask them to run them through the printers. Maybe it's not a hassle at all, maybe it is. But that's why I was asking the question. It's certainly easier (if you don't have a laser printer) to hand-print the agent's info on the envelope, but I didn't know if that was a major faux pas.
Thanks again,

John
PS Check out my (brand new) blog at http://learnmegood2.blogspot.com

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I've been consistently handwriting the return address on my envelopes (seal-sealing) and I've not noticed that it has in any way affected the outcome of my query.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
flashy95 said:
Sure Julie, that's IF you have a perfectly functioning laser printer at home. http://learnmegood2.blogspot.com
I do mine on an inexpensive ink jet. My handwriting is so bad that I would never do it by hand. And from my years in the commercial/industrial world, I can say that handwritten things always put me off, though it may be different in the agent/author world.

waylander said:
I've been consistently handwriting the return address on my envelopes (seal-sealing) and I've not noticed that it has in any way affected the outcome of my query.
But how do you know, if you haven't printed some of them?