PDA

View Full Version : Bailey's Irish Cream and Mother's Day?

Medievalist
05-09-2013, 04:04 AM
I generally check the local grocery store sale papers, and this week all of them are about Mother's Day, in one way or another.

But here's the interesting thing: Not only are local chains and national chains featuring Bailey's Irish Cream as a Mother's Day appropriate beverage, so are local bars.

Is this just a marketing driven thing?

Is Bailey's a Mom Drink?

alleycat
05-09-2013, 04:11 AM
And you can make brownies with the stuff!

I've never heard of it being a tradition for Mothers Day. Most of the mothers I know are too busy swilling margaritas these days. :-")

Kitty Pryde
05-09-2013, 04:28 AM
Maybe Bailey's is more of a dealing-with-your-mom-for-a-full-day drink.

vagough
05-09-2013, 05:03 AM
You can also make a wonderful cheesecake with it, especially if you use a chocolate crust base. :-)

But, to get back to the point, no, haven't heard of this being a mom's drink per se, although I do enjoy getting a bottle for some occasion or another during the year. (Which reminds me, maybe I'll remind my dear spouse that I really like Bailey's since our anniversary is just around the corner.)

Medievalist
05-09-2013, 05:20 AM
You can also make a wonderful cheesecake with it, especially if you use a chocolate crust base. :-)

I have in storage a notebook (some several states away) with an incredible Bailey's Cheese Cake recipe, on a chocolate crust with toasted hazelnuts.

Did you know that you can buy chocolate wafers to make the crust? And NOT separate and remove the filling and then crush Oreos?

But, to get back to the point, no, haven't heard of this being a mom's drink per se, although I do enjoy getting a bottle for some occasion or another during the year. (Which reminds me, maybe I'll remind my dear spouse that I really like Bailey's since our anniversary is just around the corner.)

Try it on ice; it's surprisingly different.

Caitlin Black
05-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Perhaps it's along the lines of "tastes like dessert, mums like dessert right?"

It's somewhere on the border of hard liquor and mixer, in my opinion, which some (sexist) people might think, "Oh, that's a woman's drink."

So something along those lines, presumably, is the rationale.

And yes, I'd say it's pure marketing hype. It also could be that one company got wind of a few others running an ad for it, and now they're jumping on the bandwagon in an attempt to steal some business.

Nefarious tactics for a delicious drink. Makes me want a drink.

LA*78
05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
It's alcoholic isn't it? ;)

Jersey Chick
05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
It's good in coffee. :D

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Over here, it's heavily marketed at Christmas but not specifically at women or men. It tends to be marketed as a sophisticated drink to share with your sophisticated friends.

onesecondglance
05-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Over here, it's heavily marketed at Christmas but not specifically at women or men. It tends to be marketed as a sophisticated drink to share with your sophisticated friends.

... whereas when I was growing up it was the drink of choice of those teenagers who couldn't stomach "real" alcohol, i.e. beer and spirits. :D

Mind you, that was during the glorious era of the Bacardi Breezer (shudder).

cray
05-09-2013, 04:23 PM
It's good in coffee. :D

i think that's it right there.
the good people at bailey's want us to serve mom's breakfast in bed complete with coffee loaded with bailey's.

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 04:32 PM
... whereas when I was growing up it was the drink of choice of those teenagers who couldn't stomach "real" alcohol, i.e. beer and spirits. :D

Mind you, that was during the glorious era of the Bacardi Breezer (shudder).

I think it was also easy to steal from the cupboard as it was the one that the back covered in dust.......

Princess Marina
05-09-2013, 04:37 PM
My daughter makes jelly with it. Unfortunately I'm caffeine allergic and can't touch it. They brought out a hazelnut flavoured version and I hoped it wouldn't have the coffee in but it still has. According to one of the thrift programs you can make an erzatz version using a few tots of cheap whisky, a can of evaporated milk a little vanilla essence and a shot of black coffee and then whizz in a blender. Can't confirm if it's drinkable or not, though!

Advocaat and brandy makes an acceptable substitute for me without the coffee flavouring.

Jersey Chick
05-09-2013, 05:19 PM
There is a brand of Irish creme called Carolan's. That was my mom's maiden name, so people thought they were being clever when they'd find it and give my mom a bottle as a gift. We had like, fifty bottles of it in the liquor cabinet, and no one ever drank it.

stormie
05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Maybe Bailey's is more of a dealing-with-your-mom-for-a-full-day drink.
Or dealing-with-my-stormy-self-for-a-whole-day drink.

For me though it's Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps on ice. Or chardonnay. Or both. At different times, of course. I haven't become a two-fisted drinker.

Haggis
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
There is a brand of Irish creme called Carolan's. That was my mom's maiden name, so people thought they were being clever when they'd find it and give my mom a bottle as a gift. We had like, fifty bottles of it in the liquor cabinet, and no one ever drank it.
I actually prefer Carolan's.

So if you want to ship me the fifty bottles....:D

onesecondglance
05-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I think it was also easy to steal from the cupboard as it was the one that the back covered in dust.......

Yup, next to the Tia Maria and the amaretto...

Jersey Chick
05-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I actually prefer Carolan's.

So if you want to ship me the fifty bottles....:D

I so would, except we cleaned my mom's house out two years ago and tossed them. Fifty bottles is a LOT of Irish creme. :)

cray
05-09-2013, 06:19 PM
not for haggis.

:D

Cella
05-09-2013, 06:24 PM
mmm...this is my favorite!

not for haggis.

:D

he's not a mom?

Lavern08
05-09-2013, 07:01 PM
he's not a mom?

He must be.

I heard somebody call him a "mother-something" just the other day. :Shrug:

jvc
05-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I was going to say this. It is pushed like crazy at Christmas as a Christmassy drink. I have no idea why, it's great all year round, and not just for mums, or moms.

Haggis
05-09-2013, 08:09 PM
I so would, except we cleaned my mom's house out two years ago and tossed them. Fifty bottles is a LOT of Irish creme. :)
T.O.S.S.E.D. T.H.E.M.?

:e2cry:

Jersey Chick
05-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Well, yeah. What am I going to do with sixty bottles of Carolan's? I've had two bottles of Bailey's (gifts) in my fridge for a year now. I rarely drink the stuff...

Liralen
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
If it just wasn't so freaking SWEET!

Being drunk could only improve my mother . . . She was almost, almost human when she was on Paxil.

Jess Haines
05-09-2013, 11:49 PM

How many bottles of Bailey's do I need to send you to get my hands on a copy of that recipe? :D

vagough
05-10-2013, 05:27 AM
I have in storage a notebook (some several states away) with an incredible Bailey's Cheese Cake recipe, on a chocolate crust with toasted hazelnuts.

Did you know that you can buy chocolate wafers to make the crust? And NOT separate and remove the filling and then crush Oreos?

Ooh, both of those sound really good. Will have to try the Bailey's on ice.

It's alcoholic isn't it? ;)

All the best drinks are, aren't they?

All this talk of chocolate and adult beverages is reminding me of a favorite recipe from my two years in Louisville -- Derby Pie, or, rather, the non-copywrited name, Bluegrass Pie. Includes chocolate chips, chopped walnuts (or pecans, my favorite), and a nice splash of Kentucky bourbon. Even better on Day Two, heated just a sec in the microwave with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on the side.

Nekko
05-10-2013, 07:31 AM
And you can make brownies with the stuff!

I've never heard of it being a tradition for Mothers Day. Most of the mothers I know are too busy swilling margaritas these days. :-")

Margaritas work for me. Hell, I just like tequila...almost as much as gin, hmm.

Not much of a Bailey's person myself, but my husband likes it.
Though I'm a might curious to try those brownies!