PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson finally retires.....

mirandashell
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
...and as a mark of respect, all Premiership games this weekend will be 7 minutes longer.

onesecondglance
05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
:roll:

Seriously, though, what a record. Managers get dumped too quickly these days. Give 'em time...

mirandashell
05-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah. Won't be overtaken for a long while, I reckon. Especially not these days.

blacbird
05-09-2013, 10:46 AM
...and as a mark of respect, all Premiership games this weekend will be 7 minutes longer.

Serious question: Are you being serious, or sarcastic? For us benighted colonials, it's hard to tell with this topic.

What I do know is that he's manager of the best squad going these days, so he's exiting on top, whether you like him or not. And I got no dog in the hunt.

caw

onesecondglance
05-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Serious question: Are you being serious, or sarcastic? For us benighted colonials, it's hard to tell with this topic.

What I do know is that he's manager of the best squad going these days, so he's exiting on top, whether you like him or not. And I got no dog in the hunt.

caw

There is a long-running in-joke that Man U games get more injury time added than other games, partly due to several notable United victories through goals in added time. Fans characterise this as the team never giving up and getting the most they can from every second (while other teams take their foot off the pedal towards the end); everyone else jokes that Fergie has a magic watch.

robeiae
05-09-2013, 04:57 PM
I can't imagine who is going to take over for him, especially if he remains with the club, as is being reported. Tough act to follow, especially with the former guy sitting in judgement on a daily basis.

Perhaps Beckham...

Priene
05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
I can't imagine who is going to take over for him, especially if he remains with the club, as is being reported. Tough act to follow, especially with the former guy sitting in judgement on a daily basis.

It's probably going to be David Moyes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22453895). Highly likely to be this generation's Wilf McGuinness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilf_McGuinness).

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 05:08 PM

caw

As Onesecond explained, it was a joke. And every football supporter would have got what I meant.

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 05:09 PM
It's probably going to be David Moyes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22453895). Highly likely to be this generation's Wilf McGuinness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilf_McGuinness).

I've always said that I would want to be the manager after the manager that was after Ferguson.

robeiae
05-09-2013, 05:12 PM
I've always said that I would want to be the manager after the manager that was after Ferguson.

That was certainly the right choice in the case of the Miami Heat and Pat Reilly.

Priene
05-09-2013, 05:17 PM

That would make you this generation's Frank O'Farrell.

IAMWRITER
05-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Going to be so strange without Fergie at Utd - especially since he was manager even before I was born.

I think Moyes is a good choice - he's got a good eye for upcoming players and bringing through youngsters.

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
That would make you this generation's Frank O'Farrell.

Hmmmm.... forgot about him. So I would want to be the manager after the manager after the manager after Fergie..... wouldn't I?

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Actually.... I want to be the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after Fergie.

Which would make me Fergie.

Sorted.

clee984
05-09-2013, 08:59 PM
According to wikipedia, David Moyes has been signed up to take over starting in July. I suppose he's the logical choice, as the only British manager with an even-vaguely comparable record in the premiership. I bet he's bricking himself, though. I would be.

Like when REM split, I can't remember a time when Fergie wasn't manager of Man U.

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 09:36 PM
It's been rumoured for years that Moyes would be the next manager, though. At least I've been hearing it for a long while.

Priene
05-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Actually.... I want to be the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after Fergie.

Which would make me Fergie.

Sorted.

I want you to be the new Tommy Docherty. Football needs a new Tommy Docherty.

Like when REM split, I can't remember a time when Fergie was manager of Man U.

I can. I once stood in the Man U end at West Ham and had to listen to their fans whining for 90 minutes about how their team wasn't good enough. They won 4-1.

EDIT: That might actually have been in the early years of Ferguson's reign. He wasn't exactly popular with their fans at that point.

mirandashell
05-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I can't be Tommy Docherty! The coat wouldn't suit me.

Priene
05-09-2013, 10:29 PM
I can't be Tommy Docherty! The coat wouldn't suit me.

Probably not. But it didn't suit him either.

robeiae
05-10-2013, 12:03 AM
*wonders if Fergie gave his extra seven minutes to this thread*

Priene
05-10-2013, 11:11 AM
*wonders if Fergie gave his extra seven minutes to this thread*

He'd be far too busy arguing with the mods.

clee984
05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
According to yesterday's popbitch "Fergie time was real: the BBC found that on average, at home, Man Utd got an extra 79 seconds extra time when they were losing than when they were winning."

The same might be true for a lot of home teams, mind.....

Priene
05-10-2013, 12:33 PM
According to yesterday's popbitch "Fergie time was real: the BBC found that on average, at home, Man Utd got an extra 79 seconds extra time when they were losing than when they were winning."

The same might be true for a lot of home teams, mind.....

Didn't they once go three season where they only conceded one penalty at home? Or something like that, anyway. And then to everyone's amazement we got awarded one, and missed it.

clee984
05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Didn't they once go three season where they only conceded one penalty at home? Or something like that, anyway. And then to everyone's amazement we got awarded one, and missed it.

It's completely possible, although I don't know why - Old Trafford is probably the least intimidating atmosphere I have ever experienced for a top-flight team. All too busy eating prawn sandwiches, to quote Roy Keane.

mirandashell
05-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Well, at least they didn't break the tradition today!

mirandashell
07-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Well, we got past Wilf McGuinness, bless him. Now we're just waiting on Frank O'Farrell.