What's it like working as a college librarian?

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Working on a novel currently where one of the main characters works at a university library. Trying to get some of the details about working at that particular job, if anyone has worked in that position or could put me in touch with someone who has, it would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a couple people on here that are/have been college librarians.

But, if you don't get any replies, I'm 100% sure, if you go up to a college library and ask one of the librarians, they will tell you.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I'd love to find out first hand. College students don't bother librarians all that much. I spend some time in college libraries, and the people who work there seem less busy than librians in municiapl libraries.

jkenton

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect you'll have a mix of odd requests, hearing odd noises at odd hours, and, in quiet study alcoves, finding odd substances.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Are you looking for what the librarian himself/herself does, or just what "someone working at the library" does? Because a lot of the librarian's job is behind the scenes - ordering books, organizing programs, sitting through meetings, etc. The person actually behind a desk and accessible to the public is much more likely to be a work/study student or some form of library assistant, unless it's a very small library.

(Former branch manager of a public library here - which sounds a lot more impressive if you don't know it was a one-room library and I was the only one there most of the time.)

CosmicLibrary

Registered
Reaction score
I worked as a desk supervisor in a university library. I wasn't actually a librarian, but mostly managed operations of the circulation desk and managed student employees.

I could tell you what it's like at the circulation desk and have a good idea of what the rest of the staff did, but was not an actual librarian.