PDA

View Full Version : UK synopsis

BetteDavis
05-06-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm fairly sure this is a dumb question but I was wondering if there were differences between a US and a UK synopsis.I know there are differences for queries but is there anything that I need to consider specifically when submitting to the UK?

Mr Flibble
05-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Pretty sure te synops are the same

Don't get bogged down in 'and then he, and then she,' give reasons why (emotional/internal etc) Try not to get too hung up on it (easier said than done). I know several UK agents who only look at the synop IF they like the pages (to see if you have enough plot/it makes sense for the rest of the book)

Make it as engaging as you can, work at it! But try not to stress overly. It's a great tool, it really helps (your agent who wants to sell your book), but your pages will usually be what sell the MS.

BetteDavis
05-06-2013, 04:52 AM
Thank you I'm finding it really hard to do.There's a lot of conflicting information out there.

Old Hack
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
The best thing I've read about how to write synopses is Write A Great Synopsis, by Nicola Morgan. She's a friend of mine, so I'm not entirely free from bias here: but it is an excellent book, she's had over 90 books published, she was Chair of the Society of Authors on Scotland for a few years, and she knows her stuff. It's available on Kindle, so you could read it in seconds if you wanted.

BetteDavis
05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks old hack.It's a bargain too!

Old Hack
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Nicola ran a great blog for a few years, in which she gave out all sorts of useful advice to writers. It's still available to see, and well worth a look.

BetteDavis
05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Found it.Will have a browse.Posting the link just in case anyone stumbling across this thread is interested

http://www.nicolamorgan.com/category/publishing-advice-books/

scarecrow
05-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the link.