UK synopsis

BetteDavis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure this is a dumb question but I was wondering if there were differences between a US and a UK synopsis.I know there are differences for queries but is there anything that I need to consider specifically when submitting to the UK?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Pretty sure te synops are the same

Don't get bogged down in 'and then he, and then she,' give reasons why (emotional/internal etc) Try not to get too hung up on it (easier said than done). I know several UK agents who only look at the synop IF they like the pages (to see if you have enough plot/it makes sense for the rest of the book)

Make it as engaging as you can, work at it! But try not to stress overly. It's a great tool, it really helps (your agent who wants to sell your book), but your pages will usually be what sell the MS.

BetteDavis

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you I'm finding it really hard to do.There's a lot of conflicting information out there.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The best thing I've read about how to write synopses is Write A Great Synopsis, by Nicola Morgan. She's a friend of mine, so I'm not entirely free from bias here: but it is an excellent book, she's had over 90 books published, she was Chair of the Society of Authors on Scotland for a few years, and she knows her stuff. It's available on Kindle, so you could read it in seconds if you wanted.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nicola ran a great blog for a few years, in which she gave out all sorts of useful advice to writers. It's still available to see, and well worth a look.