Bio in the query

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
I'm doing my research on agents, and a small number request a bio as part of the query letter. I'm an unpublished author with a ten-year career in a non-writing field. I'm pitching a fantasy/paranormal romance, so obviously, fiction. The only credentials I have are that I've been reading/writing my whole life, that I love fantasy, and that I have a fascination with the subject matter as presented in my book. (Which is completely generic, I know.)

I will not include anything about myself as a standard part of my query for other agents, but for the agents that want a bio, what do I share?

Two examples:
http://www.tridentmediagroup.com/contact-us
"Your query should include only a paragraph about yourself, a brief plot synopsis and your contact information."
and
http://www.defioreandco.com/about/rebecca-strauss
"Please email with a brief query letter containing information on your book, your bio and the first five pages in the body of the email."

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Hmmm... You could leave it out, or you could give either some funny info about yourself or perhaps one sentence about your job. If you have any stage skills at all, say so.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Hey Samantha,

Keep it simple. As a last paragraph, simply say, "I live in Chicago with my husband and three dogs, where my bookshelves are about to collapse under the weight of my romance novel collection. When I'm not writing, I stay up way too late watching GAME OF THRONES."

Or whatever. Really, it doesn't have to be serious.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
for your second example I wouldn't add anything. The first was specific enough I would probably put something like this:

Quick is a biologist living in Madison, Wisconsin with his wife and two children. This is his first novel.

whatever you do, don't try to bullshit your way in by saying you "aren't a writer, but you used to volunteer at the library" for example....will it hurt you? Probably not, but it certainly doesn't indicate you can write, and comes off a bit desperate. Impressions count, and you have the luxury of not giving them negative ones, so at least for me, that's why I keep things short and sweet.

S. L. Saboviec

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
OK, that makes sense. A couple basic sentences and be done with it.

This is a business letter, so I feel odd about putting in personal information. On the other hand, writing is a personal hobby (for now). On the other, other hand, no one cares that I'm a project manager.

Trident is a bigwig, so I could put "I'm unpublished and not in the industry," and that's all they care to know. But that wouldn't be the right way to approach it, obviously.

Thanks for the replies.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
OK, that makes sense. A couple basic sentences and be done with it.

This is a business letter, so I feel odd about putting in personal information. On the other hand, writing is a personal hobby (for now). On the other, other hand, no one cares that I'm a project manager.

Trident is a bigwig, so I could put "I'm unpublished and not in the industry," and that's all they care to know. But that wouldn't be the right way to approach it, obviously.

Thanks for the replies.

note that is also the de facto assumption.

If I go on a date, the girl will likely assume I am interested in her sexually. Telling her "I would really like to have an orgasm, inside of you." not only overstates the obvious, but laying it out there is a thousand times worst than not saying anything at all. Your line certainly isn't as bad, but if words can only diminish something, better to omit them instead.

you don't have to say you are unpublished.

S. L. Saboviec

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
I definitely don't want to be "that guy."

To borrow for your example:

Samantha is a project manager living in the surburbs of Toronto with her husband and cat. This is her first novel.

But then, do I put it in the third person, or, because it's part of the query letter, do I write it in the first person?

I feel like I'm overthinking this.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I'd put it in first, as you are selling. you don't want to sound like Bob Dole or Lebron James.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
You can also mention any writing classes you have taken or professional organizations you belong to. Anything that shows you are putting your money where your mouth is as an author. good luck.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Samantha Lane: I will not include anything about myself as a standard part of my query for other agents, but for the agents that want a bio, what do I share?

Two examples:
http://www.tridentmediagroup.com/contact-us
"Your query should include only a paragraph about yourself, a brief plot synopsis and your contact information."
and
http://www.defioreandco.com/about/rebecca-strauss
"Please email with a brief query letter containing information on your book, your bio and the first five pages in the body of the email."
I agree, keep it simple. I'm unpublished. My bio info is generally something like, My name is K--, first-time writer and former blah blah (three disparate careers). I hold an MA from blah blah. Per guidelines, blah blah.

What else is there to write? I'm certainly not going to say "Hey, I got A-plusses on papers I wrote in college! Really! You want copies? I can send copies!" What the hell, they don't care.

Do they?

I'm kidding. Of course they don't care. If you're not already published or if your life experience doesn't directly relate to your novel, do agents really care what the hell you did/wrote before? They'll gauge you by how you write your query and by your sample pages (if requested). Barring the caveats mentioned, to write anything in your bio other than age, rank and serial number is superflouous.

Right?

Last edited:

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I definitely don't want to be "that guy."

To borrow for your example:

Samantha is a project manager living in the surburbs of Toronto with her husband and cat. This is her first novel.

But then, do I put it in the third person, or, because it's part of the query letter, do I write it in the first person?

I feel like I'm overthinking this.

Write in first person. You might say debut novel, but don't say FIRST novel-- it sounds like it's the only book you've ever written, and even if that's the case, it can color an agent's opinion. (Most folks' first novels are crap.).

You do NOT need to point out you are unpublished.

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
I did put some biographical information in my query letter, mostly related to my publication history and particular things I did in relation to the novel I was pitching, e.g. trips abroad for research etc.

I have representation so that has worked for me so far.