Insulting names for a native of Romania?

Negative Zero

local gay
Registered
Reaction score
My main character is the equivalent of a Romanian native in my fantasy world; at one point he does something stupid and his friend calls him a nasty name. The only problem is that I have no idea what kinds of insults you would give to a native of Romania.

Hopefully this question is in the right section...I've never really done this before.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
If this is a fantasy world, why use a real term? Why not invent one?

It strikes me as odd to give an actual racist term for a fantasy situation, especially if it's just the equivalent of that group.

Negative Zero

local gay
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, good point. The thing is, I want people to see the parallel between our world and the one I created. I have already made up a few insults, though - I made a language for my world and there are plenty of awful names.

My main character is very loyal to his country. It would really hurt to be snubbed racially.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The similarities could come through in culture and so on. I think you can have a snub that is obviously racist or anti his ethnicity without using a real racist comment. I think it's the feelings, intent, and so on that are relatable more than what's actually said.

I'm not sure if this is going to make any sense, but I almost feel like if you take a fantasy world and then use a real racist term for a real group of people, it could a) take the reader out of the story by confusing the world they're in, and b) have the potential to sound as if you're intentionally insulting those people.

Think of "mudblood" in Harry Potter. It's not a phrase we use in real life, but it's obvious what it means and the sort of insult it is.

Negative Zero

local gay
Registered
Reaction score
You make a very good point...thank you! I don't want to confuse readers, that would be bad. I've seen the kinds of reviews confused readers give novels.

I'll be creating my own racist comments, I think. That would be more fun anyway. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Look for the more negative versions of Gypsy, which are often derogatory terms for the Roma and see if you can fit one of those to your needs.

Negative Zero

local gay
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I might make a reference to that at some point, though I think that in the end I'm just going to take kaitie's excellent advice and create my own derogatory terms. :)

jkenton

Registered
Reaction score
Is there some tradition, practice or ritual that the other culture misinterprets or is widely uniformed about? For example, on Caprica Taurons were often called "Dirt Eaters" because they had practiced geophagy. (Eating dirt to acquire certain mineral nutrients like phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc, manganese, and iron.)

Blood Libel is another example cultural ignorance becoming the basis for racial or cultural slurs. Christians accused of "drinking blood!" by people who thought that the communion practice was literally blood and not wine, the old claims that Jews used the blood of gentile children for rituals, etc. So if there's an issue like that in the tapestry of prejudice, you can build a slur around whatever thing these folks are usually accused of. "Damn them panda-shiving kitten peelers!"

Negative Zero

local gay
Registered
Reaction score
That's really interesting...thanks! I'll definitely be able to build a slur around that.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some I know of (Romanian co-worker):

Magar - Donkey, Ass
Muist - Whore, Slut
Pula - Dick, Prick or the like
Inutil -Worthless
Taranoi - Peasant, Oaf

And curiously, Vagabond, which is a derogatory expression for Gypsy.

Keep in mind that most of these probably have foreign characters in the term which don't translate to the English set I'm using. Also, I think I spelled them somewhat correctly, but I'm not the Romanian...

Jeff

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in a setting around a Romanian native and a pretty bigoted English person, the English person often called the Romanian "gypsy" or "pikey" and joked about him stealing things. (He wasn't Roma and disliked Romani as much as the English guy, so he took special offense...)

But it could depend a lot on your setting.

Negative Zero

local gay
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...it all really depends, you know? That was a big help though. Thanks! Gave me some food for thought on how to create my own arsenal of insults. :D