PDA

View Full Version : Where to start my own personal journal?

TitaniumDerivative
05-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Where in this forum would it be appropriate to begin my own personal thread that will serve to journalize my day to day writing activities?

It wont necessarily include the exact writing completed during the day rather, it will have brief summaries on the amount of writing (# of words) accomplished during the day, its theme(s), the specific variation of writing style/activity etc.

Would appreciate any input, thanks.

I am loving this forum more every day.

Cornelius Gault
05-05-2013, 06:11 AM
I personally keep a sort of "log" at the end of my WIP (in MS Word). It is a grid that shows the version, date, notes, file size, total pages, story pages and story words.

* Version increases at the end of each day when I work on the story.
* Date is the date for each day I work on it.
* Notes include anything special that I did that day, for later reference.
* File Size is what shows up in Explorer after saving the last change at the end of the day.
* Total Pages is what MS Word shows me, including Table of Contents, notes, footnotes, character biographics, etc.
* Story Pages is what MS Word shows me after I delete the Table of Contents and everything after "THE END" (of course, this won't be the same as if it were in paperback form).
* Story Words is what MS Word shows me after I delete the Table of Contents and everything after "THE END". This is the most accurate and is a number that you can quote.

Kitty Pryde
05-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Maybe start a blog and link to it in your forum signature :)

Phaeal
05-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Maybe start a blog and link to it in your forum signature :)

This would be my suggestion. In my experience, this forum is more for milestones, big and small, not the daily grind.

mirandashell
05-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah, if it is just to record your daily progress, a community forum isn't the best place. A blog would be better if you feel the need to share.

BenPanced
05-05-2013, 07:00 PM
If you want a public record, I'd keep a blog. Other peoples' servers go kerflooey when you least expect it, so it's reasonable to expect Blogger to be up if AW gets slowed by a DNS attack (which has happened).

TitaniumDerivative
05-06-2013, 01:31 AM
I personally keep a sort of "log" at the end of my WIP (in MS Word). It is a grid that shows the version, date, notes, file size, total pages, story pages and story words.

* Version increases at the end of each day when I work on the story.
* Date is the date for each day I work on it.
* Notes include anything special that I did that day, for later reference.
* File Size is what shows up in Explorer after saving the last change at the end of the day.
* Total Pages is what MS Word shows me, including Table of Contents, notes, footnotes, character biographics, etc.
* Story Pages is what MS Word shows me after I delete the Table of Contents and everything after "THE END" (of course, this won't be the same as if it were in paperback form).
* Story Words is what MS Word shows me after I delete the Table of Contents and everything after "THE END". This is the most accurate and is a number that you can quote.

Cornelius Gault, I really like the system that you are using and was thinking of doing something of that sort.

The reason why I mentioned that I would have liked to keep a day to day thread to journalize my writing endeavors was for various reasons

(No Particular Order)
1. Noticing that this is one of the top writing forums on the net but more importantly, a community which I have grown to like a lot, would motivate me to the point of propelling my productivity skyward as well as to avoid losing my member integrity/word and not lose reputation

2. I have noticed that in other forums, these day to day journal entry threads have had comparatively good success in not only motivating the thread started but also the rest of the members (those whom would keep up with the persons thread {at least from time to time})

3. The hopes of getting feedback on my different variety of routines, practices, work ethic, and pieces of writing, from all of you members would be a huge plus as well

Starting a blog in the future will be something that I will do but as of right now, it would be best to better refine my writing. Plus, I do not have the time to start up a blog right now.

Appreciate all the comments guys.

Would it be an adequate idea that aside from applying Cornelius Gault's idea of documenting my day to day writing activities on Word, to also initiate a thread for the purpose of inputting week to week activity rather than day to day activity? It would both lessen the amount of updating to no more than once a week and keep the updates on substance that I would feel would need the greatest feedback?

And if so, where would it be most appropriate for me to start such thread?

TitaniumDerivative
05-10-2013, 05:28 AM
bump for the hopes of a solution

Kitty Pryde
05-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Four friendly suggestions to start a blog and link to it in your signature didn't work for you? :) This forum has thousands of members, but it doesn't quite have the space for each one of us to have a thread detailing all our writerly adventures. Any thread you create is subject to other people posting their own writing stats, humorous cat pictures, terrible in-jokes, and sass. Some social threads in genre specific forums have people who talk about their writing. Find a place where you fit in and feel free to share. People are more likely to offer feedback in a thread that is of interest to many.