PDA

View Full Version : I have a food question...

everywriter
05-04-2013, 09:26 AM
I know this thread is going to be moved, I can just feel it...:flag:

Anyway, can anyone tell me why Captain Crunch cereal rips up your mouth as though you have been chewing on razor blades? Is this a chemical thing or just cuz it is so crunchy?

Kerosene
05-04-2013, 09:34 AM
It's because you don't watch cartoons while the cereal soaks up your chocolate milk. :tongue

Was I the only kid who asked for Raisin Bran?

everywriter
05-04-2013, 09:40 AM
You have to ask yourself why they would do this to children. I liked Boo Berry just slightly more than CoCo Pebbles.

Lavern08
05-05-2013, 01:13 AM
...Was I the only kid who asked for Raisin Bran?

Nope.

I also preferred Shredded Wheat (with bananas) as opposed to the sweet cereals.

Well,

Except for Frosted Flakes - Lurved me some FroFlakes ;)

Snowstorm
05-05-2013, 01:37 AM
That happened to me! The only reason why I have never since I was a kid was because it tore up my mouth! Too hard and pointy-edged.

Niti Newtfinger
05-05-2013, 01:48 AM
Oh my God I've always wondered the same thing! I sometimes have the same problem with pineapple too. But I'm not sure why it happens, sorry!

Ari Meermans
05-05-2013, 02:03 AM
I knew someone who made Cap'n Crunch shakes.

Yeah, me either.

Caitlin Black
05-05-2013, 02:33 AM
We don't have that brand here... I probably would've eaten it as a kid. I used to be all over the Froot Loops and Coco Pops. Eventually moved on to Weet-Bix with some sugar on top (still less sugar than the others, I'm sure) but now I don't eat breakfast...

There was something I was eating not too long ago that cut up my mouth a bit... Blanking on what it was.

Maryn
05-05-2013, 03:46 AM
Has no one read Cryptonomicon and its brilliant two-page treatise on the right way to eat Cap'n Crunch? I just loved it.

Maryn, who liked Grape Nuts as a kid

Liralen
05-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Grape Nuts were the STUFF!

One of the few things I actually miss being gluten free, although since discovering kamut I can't really say I miss them anymore, plus I don't have that carb crash an hour after I eat. :)

Haggis
05-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Maryn, who liked Grape Nuts as a kid
Ditto on the Grape Nuts. Not the flakes, either. The Grape Nuts. Hard, tiny little things.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Rocks. You might as well have made yourself a bowl of pebbles.

Ari Meermans
05-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Ah, but they were tasty little rocks that didn't get soggy as quickly as flakes. :)

Liralen
05-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Rocks covered in extra coarse grit sandpaper.

Ever see a clip of the classic SNL spoof-mercial for Quarry cereal?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I remember that one... as well as the one for 'Colon Blow'. Same difference. ;)

bettielee
05-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Oh, I loved the Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch.

But I also loved those big ol' haystacks of shredded wheat with lots of sugar on top. that was at Grandma's house.

OFG, I don't want to embarrass you, but I can see your bra!

regdog
05-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Count Chocula was my absolute favorite, then Crunch Berries, Frosted Flakes and Honey Comb. On the healthy side loved Cheerios cold Granola cereal. Hated Grape nuts, nasty little rocks.

kikazaru
05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Not only did Cap'n Crunch rip your mouth, it mashed down into sticky yellow bits that lodged in your teeth that took forever to brush out. I think that the company was in cahoots with dentists everywhere.

I too was a kid who liked the unsugary cereals better and I loved the the "haystacks" my mother would run them under hot water for a second, then drain them and it was instant hot cereal.

mirandashell
05-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Grape Nuts? Ermmmm...... where I'm from, that's a euphemism for haemarhoids -hemarrhoids - piles.

Now I am laughing and feeling really sick....