I have a new opportunity!

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I am so excited to share my new experience, hopefully, as an encouragement for others to find new ways to connect through poetry!

My son has had some difficulties in learning to read. After exhausting the testing that was available through the public school system and some outside testing, we have yet to determine why he has had such difficulty. He's a junior in highschool and has been in a LD program, with mainstreaming since the second grade.

He lives in another state so that he can graduate with his class and then will join me to go to college in the state where I live.

We were on the phone and he said, "mom, I wrote my first poem." "He began to tell me about a book he was reading and went into great detail. I wanted to cry for joy. This is a kid the system just wanted to let slip through the cracks. He said he was bragging to his english teacher that his mom writes poetry, I've never even published, and he's never been interested before in my poetry. The teacher said he would like to see some of it. My son notified me I needed to get something to the teacher.

The teacher and I have been talking and I have sent 5 or 6 poems. He was excited about what I sent and they will be read in the class today! Just to know that I have inspired my son who has so much difficulties accademically, that I have help to forge a relationship between him and his english teacher and to become interested to express himself in writing! Oh my gosh, no publisher could ever pay me enough, should that day come, to match the value of this event! Wahooooooooooooooooo!!!!! This is one poet-mom who is doing the "high dance"!

Now, the teacher and I, via e-mail, are working out an event that incorporates kids/parents and a poet coffe house night, beat-nik style, to get it going as a community event!!!

POETRY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, kdnxdr, that is very cool. And touching.

It's great to know that your words have had such a positive effect on someone, and it must be doubly satisfying that the person is your son and that you have helped inspire a breakthrough in his life.

Your story should serve as a reminder to all of us that our words can sometimes have quite an impact on others. Even though we may not realize it.

It heartens me to know that poetry is truly not dead yet...

Thank you and the best of luck with your endeavors in both poetry and with your son.