PDA

View Full Version : Things I Hate About May...

Lavern08
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Ummmmm,

Mother's Day? :tongue

*Ducks and runs for cover*

GingerGunlock
05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Ummmmm,

Ditto that. I don't know mine, and the fiance's passed away in 2006.

I also hate that it's 60's-70's (temperature wise, not mothers or decades) during the day, and then 30's-40's at night.

shadowwalker
05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Going to bed with rain and 60 degrees, waking up with 7 inches of snow and 34 degrees (and another 3-6 inches predicted). Or maybe that's what I hate about Minnesota...

U2Girl
05-02-2013, 06:26 PM
The pollen is making me sneeze like kleenex is going out of style. Why did I bother putting on make up when I'm just going to sneeze if off?

Liralen
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Ummmmm,

Seriously.

Mine's a real piece of work.

Sadly, the day I was born fell on Mothers' Day that year. It's been . . . weird. Life with a narcissist.

This year my birthday coincides with the New Moon -- hopefully some help and reinforcement with changing a lot of this crap.

DeeSutter
05-02-2013, 09:01 PM
School is almost out. *sigh*

Jamiekswriter
05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
The pollen is making me sneeze like kleenex is going out of style. Why did I bother putting on make up when I'm just going to sneeze if off?

Me too. :: stuffy itchy ::

katci13
05-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Third vote for pollen.
Also, the cat sheds more. High risk of hairballs. :(

And while I don't mind Mother's Day, my birthday is always close to it and gets overshadowed by it about 95% of the time.

Snowstorm
05-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Memorial Day Weekend, when all the ATV nutcases ruin the entire weekend.

SuspiciousCookie
05-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Come on guys, let's be a little more positive! /demands threadtitle change into "Things you hate or like about May"

Just kidding. But seriously. I don't really hate anything about May. Lots of holidays. Less work. If it was also the month my birthday's in, it might have very well been my favorite month. Am I trolling you guys? You talk about how depressing May is for you, and I'm all like "Hey! Best month evah! What'chu talkin' 'bout?" Sorry.

Cookie

Cliff Face
05-03-2013, 01:59 AM
What I really hate about May is that it's my birthday today, yet it's not close enough to Winter to get a nice cool day. Yesterday was rather hot, and the day before.

Ever since I was a kid, I've wished I could've been born in June instead, so that it'd be Winter on my birthday. Hate the heat, love the cool weather.

Oh, and Mother's Day is usually about a week after my birthday, so money I get for my birthday has to be chipped away at for Mother's Day.

Bah!

pernickety
05-03-2013, 03:06 AM
May in France is full of holidays
1st Labour day
8th end of WWII
Sometime usually in May Assension Thursday (this year May 9th)
Sometime usually in May Pentecost (this year May 20th)

4 holidays and many schools offices 'make the bridge' i.e. if day falls on a Tues or Thurs they take the Mon/Fri too.

Love May, the weather starts to improve too (I hope)

Brightdreamer
05-03-2013, 03:21 AM
That it's here already.

Seriously, anyone else notice a leak in the space/time continuum lately?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-03-2013, 03:25 AM
Height of tornado season in Okiehomie.

Nekko
05-03-2013, 04:11 AM
What I really hate about May is that it's my birthday today,

Hey! Happy Birthday! (regardless of the temp outside)

Mine's at the end of the month, so less conflict with Mother's Day, but my kids probably disagree.

(Sorry, I'm rather partial to May. August on the other hand...)

Cliff Face
05-03-2013, 05:22 AM
Thanks. :)

My birth date is annoying. It's 10 days after mum's birthday, and 1 week before Mother's Day.

So I get maybe a few days of "Wahey, it's all about ME!" in the middle of a few weeks of her stuff.

vagough
05-03-2013, 05:27 AM
I'm with Suspicious Cookie -- can we also add things we like about May? (This is probably because I like more things about May than I dislike.)

I like May because it's the month of my wedding anniversary (18 years!), my husband's birthday (won't divulge how many years, though), our grandsons' birthdays, and the traditional first week at the beach for us. Plus May is beautiful here in our part of Virginia, with lots of dogwoods, azaleas, and other flowers.

I used to dislike May because of pollen, but that was before going through allergy treatment (allergy drops, not allergy shots --- drops are lots more effective). This is the first spring in living memory that I haven't suffered, so I'm especially happy. :-)

Anyone else like May, or am I the only one?

heyjude
05-03-2013, 05:46 AM
Happy birthday, Cliff. :)

Anyone else like May, or am I the only one?

I love May. I'm having a tough time of thinking of something bad about it...

I know! Field trips. Every teacher is bound and determined to fit in a bunch of extra field trips before the end of school, because let's face it, the kids have pretty much quit paying attention. And then those field trips need chaperones. ::sigh:: Guess who's the automatic chaperone? No matter how many kids I lose, they keep making me come back.

Cliff Face
05-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Liralen
05-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Oh, other than the Mothers' Day drama and my birthday, May is probably my favorite month. Beltane, the year turns and the earth is waking up, everything stretches toward the sun.

Cliff Face
05-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Except me. I shrink from the sun, and stretch towards the fridge. ;)

katci13
05-03-2013, 09:25 AM

My birth date is annoying. It's 10 days after mum's birthday, and 1 week before Mother's Day.

So I get maybe a few days of "Wahey, it's all about ME!" in the middle of a few weeks of her stuff.

Happy Birthday!

You're lucky. My birthday is either on Mother's Day or a no more than a couple days before or after. No matter where I go to celebrate, someone else is there celebrating Mother's Day either on time, early, or late. But the last time it was on my birthday, the waitress gave me a free dessert. ^_^

Cliff Face
05-03-2013, 09:32 AM

Liralen
05-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Happy Birthday!

You're lucky. My birthday is either on Mother's Day or a no more than a couple days before or after. No matter where I go to celebrate, someone else is there celebrating Mother's Day either on time, early, or late. But the last time it was on my birthday, the waitress gave me a free dessert. ^_^

My mother has refused to acknowledge my actual birthday -- unless it happens to fall on Mothers' Day. When MY birthday came and went last year without so much as a "happy birthday" all day from either parent, I put an end to that, told them both to just screw it, I am not doing it anymore, just leave me alone and don't even pretend anymore.

My erstwhile sister's birthday fell on Thanksgiving, but hers has always been a big deal separate from Thanksgiving -- and then again ON Thanksgiving day . . . and my mother gives my sister presents on her (my mother's) birthday. Go figure.

Oh, and I was required to share anything anyone else gave me on my birthday with the sister as well.

Yeah, the birthday thing has been nothing but torture, and there have only been two people in my whole life who have never forgotten it as long as I've known them.

Cliff Face
05-03-2013, 01:48 PM
That really sucks.

When you're a millionaire jetsetting author, you can ring them up in a month when it's none of their birthdays, and say, "Hey, wasn't it your birthday yesterday?"

Or, y'know, put a price on their heads. Whichever is less aggravating.

Liralen
05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
When that happens (hopefully before that, but it's difficult immediately, having been stupid enough to buy the house next door), Cliff, I'm just going to simply not ever have contact with any of them again :)

Lavern08
05-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Can I just say how proud I am at how therapeutic this thread is? ;)

Sniff-sniff.

*Wipes nose and tears away with shirt sleeve*

everywriter
05-03-2013, 09:01 PM
All the days that trick you and make you feel like it is November again :(

Sonata
05-03-2013, 09:14 PM
May is fantastic. Not too hot, not too cold. I get my hands dirty again. Planting, planting, planting. I love it! The skeeters are just getting started, the snakes just waking up, and the blue birds are nesting in the houses all over the yard. The rain is warm. No snow shoveling. Bloodroot, trillium, and bellflowers in the woods. Who can ask for more?

Nawlins
05-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Argh. This I know about.

When I graduated from high school, my graduation fell 2 weeks after my sister's wedding shower and 2 weeks before the wedding itself, so my mom suggested I not send announcements exc to my godmother and grandmother out of respect for friends/family who'd be shelling out gifts for my sis. "We'll do you up proud for your college graduation." Fine.

I worked my way through university. I graduated the year my younger sis graduated from H.S. Guess what happened. Yup, poor younger sis wasn't going to uni, so...her only chance. Hmph. Fine.

Then I married later in life, so no blow-out there either.

Hmm. I think I'm going to have a blowout for my birthday this year! It's overdue!

RE: May. I hate that it gets warm too quickly. I like the cold weather. It's a death-anniversary month, so that's a drag even if it doesn't exactly contaminate the month, lol.

And pollen....GRRRR! What I've found gives me relief is a plastic eyewash cup from the dollar store - easy to use and sweet relief for itchy eyes when I come in from outdoors.

U2Girl
05-04-2013, 05:55 AM
Living in Chicago in May *SHOULD* mean it's nice and pretty and warm.

However, today I was reminded that it can also mean THIRTY SOMEODD DEGREE WEATHER.

I am not amused.

Liralen
05-04-2013, 07:34 AM
A dear friend is having another gauntlet of tests at Mayo. She e-mailed me and said the forecast up there was for 5" of snow.

LJD
05-11-2013, 05:27 AM
NHL playoffs. Which the Leafs, by some miracle, actually made this year for the first time in 9 (I think) years.

And Leafs fans are way too enthusiastic and there are just too many of them. I can tell how many goals they've scored based on the cheers I hear in my normally quiet building. (Of course, this doesn't tell me how many times Boston has scored.)

Based on the hype here, you'd think they were in the Stanley Cup final, rather than losing the first round...

bluejester12
05-11-2013, 06:09 AM
May is a very outdated name for a woman.

:nothing

Liralen
05-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Well, the birthday cake I made for myself was pretty freaking awesome. First one I've had since I was ten!

Lavern08
05-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Well, the birthday cake I made for myself was pretty freaking awesome.

I'll take a slice - even if it is gluten-free. :D

Liralen
05-12-2013, 03:27 AM
Hey, if I didn't tell you, you'd never know :) I've gotten really good at this gluten free stuff. I can take gluten free baked stuff to Guild meetings and they disappear long before the "regular" goodies!

This cake is even better the second day.

Laura Klein
05-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Allergy season! My nose is running or its stuffing, no matter how much allergy medication I take.

Also, summer is almost here, but it isn't yet... I want to kick back and relax but I have all these exams and Regentses to study for and just, no.

Booker
05-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Because it starts the mating season and I'm getting old for all that

Jehhillenberg
05-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Nothing I hate about May, really. Another school year is over (YES! :yessmiley )

Oh wait, the unpredictable weather is a major disappointment...like random rain and storms when I'd like to wear my spring dresses, rompers, and shorts, and cute stuff.

Purple Rose
05-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't know what to make of this thread.

That it was started by a super-sweet person who couldn't possibly hate anything about anyone or anything, let alone a typically uneventful, non-descript month, a person so full of kindness who probably couldn't even spell the word hate let alone understand it's meaning, should make us invent the most outlandish reasons for "hating" May.

Sorry Verny, but there's really nothing for me to hate about May but I do love that we have two public holidays - May 1 (Labour Day) and mid-May sometime for Vesak Day (Buddha's enlightenment). I think every few years we also get a Ramadan holiday at around this time, or maybe it is the Haj but it's a Muslim holiday.

Quite festive and multi-cultural so plenty to love.

Or maybe from now on I'll remember to always hate May because it was when my husband and I got bitten by mosquitoes and had dengue fever. Ughhhh!!! We're on the mend now so we'll be fine but the past ten days have been awful.

Cliff Face
05-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Mosquitoes hate May and like to spread the hate.

I think it has something to do with the birds and the bees, and the fact that mosquitoes don't have the Internet. Mmhmm.

LJD
05-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Mother's Day.

(because mine's dead)

Purple Rose
05-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Mosquitoes hate May and like to spread the hate.

I think it has something to do with the birds and the bees, and the fact that mosquitoes don't have the Internet. Mmhmm.

Awwww Cliff, now that you make it so logical, it's hard to hate May because of the mosquitoes now. Oh well ... then again, when I wake up tomorrow morning after sleeping for eleven hours and still feel tired, I'll remember to hate May, along with those mosquitoes.

By the way, Cliff, some of the best websites on mosquitoes are from Australia, especially Queensland. Probably true of the deadliest snakes and spiders too :D

Lavern08
05-13-2013, 12:33 AM
I don't know what to make of this thread...

It's either:

A.) Something I started a coupla years ago as a joke (*glares at Kayleamay*)

or

B.) My desperate plea for attention :D

Cliff Face
05-13-2013, 04:42 AM
By the way, Cliff, some of the best websites on mosquitoes are from Australia, especially Queensland. Probably true of the deadliest snakes and spiders too :D

Yup, we have plenty of dangerous wildlife.

And I'm pretty sure 100% of the online information on dropbears comes from Australian sites. The only tourists who have ever seen them, erm, aren't with us anymore.

LKSebastian
05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
When I lived in Florida, I loved May, but this is my first year up north and May has brought the ugly realization that I have awful allergies.