Status
Not open for further replies.

the debster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
James,

You provided insightful information regarding Dark Courier in an earlier thread. This is the font I currently use for everything I send out. The hardcopy print is much darker and looks professional.

When I asked you how to re-justify pages since Courier New and Dark Courier has a slightly different layout, you responded that you even compose in Dark Courier, therefore was not aware of any difference.

I know it's a minor distinction, but I do lose 1 line of text when I change to Dark Courier.

So my question is, how many lines of actual text (not including header) to you fit on a page--23 or 24?

Thanks,
DJL

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If James doesn't immediately reply, don't take as if he is just ignoring your question. He has sequestered himself in order to meet a tight deadline. Hopefully, he'll take a break and check in soon.

Cheers!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Reduce your line spacing to somewhere between 1.9 and 2, until you get 25 lines/page. I've found that Dark Courier looks good in print, but is not so good for pdf.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
the debster said:
James,

You provided insightful information regarding Dark Courier in an earlier thread. This is the font I currently use for everything I send out. The hardcopy print is much darker and looks professional.

When I asked you how to re-justify pages since Courier New and Dark Courier has a slightly different layout, you responded that you even compose in Dark Courier, therefore was not aware of any difference.

I know it's a minor distinction, but I do lose 1 line of text when I change to Dark Courier.

So my question is, how many lines of actual text (not including header) to you fit on a page--23 or 24?

Thanks,
DJL

Always 25, regardless of font. That's the right number of lines, but you don't get it by messing with margins. When the final draft is finished, before printing or submitting, first select all, and then go to format, then paragraph. The bottom middle box is labeled "line spacing." Set this to "exactly." In the next box over, labeled "at" set this at 25.

Doing this will cause every full page of text in your manuscript to have exactly 25 lines.

Okay, I'm out of here again. I wouldn't be home at all except for Valentine's Day. Can you believe I've been married twenty-six years and nearly forgot Valentine's Day?

We're going out for a late super. Probably to Johnny Carino's, for lack of a better restaurant within a hundred miles. Then I'll take off again in the morning, and will probably be gone a good while this time.

Still can't believe I almost forgot Valentine's Day.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Always 25, regardless of font. That's the right number of lines, but you don't get it by messing with margins. When the final draft is finished, before printing or submitting, first select all, and then go to format, then paragraph. The bottom middle box is labeled "line spacing." Set this to "exactly." In the next box over, labeled "at" set this at 25.

Doing this will cause every full page of text in your manuscript to have exactly 25 lines.

If that works, it’s by accident. Setting the exact spacing to 25 sets it to 25pts, not 25 lines per page (e.g., 30 pts gives you less than 25 lines per page, and 20 pts gives more). Not every font will give you 25 lines that way. And better to do that with the style, rather than selecting all. Select FORMAT/STYLE/normal/MODIFY/PARAGRAPH, and then set the spacing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Spacing

Julie Worth said:
If that works, it’s by accident. Setting the exact spacing to 25 sets it to 25pts, not 25 lines per page (e.g., 30 pts gives you less than 25 lines per page, and 20 pts gives more). Not every font will give you 25 lines that way. And better to do that with the style, rather than selecting all. Select FORMAT/STYLE/normal/MODIFY/PARAGRAPH, and then set the spacing.

Well, according to Microsoft, that's how you're supposed to do it, and that's how I was taught in two MS Office courses.

But, no, it wont work with every font, and on some word processors, it won't work with Dark Courier, but with MS Word it should work with all three fonts, and it's no coincidence. You aren't supposed to be using every font, you're supposed to be using Courier 12, or Times New Roman 12, and getting 25 lines this way with these fonts is deliberate programming

What happens at 20pts or 30pts has nothing to do with what happens at 25pts. What happens at twenty-five pts happens for a specific reason.

For maybe 100 years, Pica was the font of choice. Then came Courier 12 and Times. Courier 12 is usually the same size as Pica, which is also no coincidence. These are now the two fonts publishers nearly always expect writers to use, and these are the two fonts that word processors have been built around for many, many years, and the two fonts that MS Word is still built around.

For roughly the same century or so, publishers also expected writers to have twenty-five lines per page.

So 25pts was set as the spacing that gives twenty-five lines per page with these two fonts. No coincidence at all. The scale goes up or down from there, just as zero degrees is set as the freezing point of water on a celsius thermometer. These pts aren't there because someone just decided to program them in on a slow day. Every point number sets a specific number of lines for a specific font, but they're designed for Times and Courier 12. 25pts sets twenty-five lines per page because that's what publishers have always wanted, along with either Courier 12 or Times 12. Deliberate programming, not an accident or coincidence.

This is far and away the easiest, fastest way of getting exactly twenty-five lines per page, if you're using a font you should be using.

If a writer is messing aroud with some weird or unusual font because they like the way it "looks," then, no, this method may not work. But a writer doing this is asking for a swift kick, anyway, and who cares what line numbers they get?

But whatever font you're using, it pays to learn how the font and pts interact. Learning just what these pts do with the font you use makes everything a heck of a lot easier and faster than screwing around with styles and format. That's why they're in the word processor.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
So 25pts was set as the spacing that gives twenty-five lines per page with these two fonts. No coincidence at all.

Well, if that were the case, then I could change my paper size from 11 inches to 10 inches, and I'd still get 25 lines. But no, I get 23. And if I change it to 12 inches, I get 28 lines. If I change back to 11 inch paper size and change my margins to 3/4 inch, then I get 27 lines. So you see, it really is a coincidence.

1 pt. = 1/72", so 25 pts. is just over .347 inches. If you allow a 1 inch spacing all around, that's 9 inches for your print window, and that gives 25.92 lines. Since that will round down (word won't allow a fraction of a line), you get 25 lines. If you set your margins just a little less, say .95 inches, that gives you a 9.1 inch print window, and 25/72 goes into that 26.2 times, so you get 26 lines. Try it, you'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.