DMCA takedown notices - are they public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
One of the reasons I haven't done anything about my books being illegally posted on file sharing sites is that I read something about the takedown letters becoming part of the public record. Contact information has to be included in those letters, and I have the impression that an email address isn't enough. I don't want to associate my address with my writing, not even using my post office box because it might be part of other searchable records.

Does anyone known this is supposed to work and/or what actually happens? It's possible that individual sites vary in how accessible they make those letters, so there might not be one answer.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what happens legally, but if the site is one of the more egregious ones that ignores such things (because they're in some country that doesn't honor such things or isn't well policed, or they're just being as bad as possible), the site may POST the takedown notice for all to see.

Even legitimate sites (I'm thinking of the Oatmeal comic site) have posted others' legal notices to them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I use take downs with the huge file sharing sites who 1) respond to them and 2) don't publicize them. I have sent out may 800-900 of them and never seen one posted in public. I would not send one to a small nut job site because it is not only a risk but a waste of time.

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I don't know what happens legally, but if the site is one of the more egregious ones that ignores such things (because they're in some country that doesn't honor such things or isn't well policed, or they're just being as bad as possible), the site may POST the takedown notice for all to see...

Thanks. Having it posted on a site rather than having the information entered in a searchable database would be less threatening, but still a concern.

Veinglory - makes sense, thanks. Do you use a separate address for this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.