Best Selling Self-Published books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

everywriter

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to know what everyone thought of this recent movement where you are seeing self-published ebooks at the top of the NY Times and USA Today best sellers list?

I really want to have a conversation about this with other writers! I didn't see this topic any other place on the forum. If I missed it someplace, I'm sorry to repost. Also, hello! I'm new to the forum.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyg...shers-are-the-best-at-selling-ebooks-in-2013/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyg...ers-do/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
What is your question? Yes, there are self-pubbed books making the lists. But I'm not sure what you're asking? :Shrug:
Welcome & nice to meet you. :)

everywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I didn't really have a question, I just wanted to see what authors are thinking about the state of publishing and how it is changing. If I had to ask a question it would be, how does this change things? They are saying one of these authors sold 85,000 books in a 10 day period. What?! No support system. No ads, no book tours, just all internet. I'm wondering what does this do to the publishing world? Is this a good or bad thing?

BethBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.pocketread.co.uk
I'm not sure what you're asking either but if it's just opinions you want - I think it's great. If an author can get to the top of the best sellers list without the backing and marketing of a publishing giant, then whoopy-do (sp!).
There still seems to be a bit of a stigma about self-publishing. It can be seen as a desperate attempt when 'not good enough' to be accepted by a publisher.
However, the proof that it is a valid route for today's authors shows in the success that some are having.
As always with these things, if the novel is rubbish, it won't get anywhere. (The same doesn't apply the other way around though I don't think. Some fantastic novels just won't get the sales for a whole host of reasons.)
Whatever the reasons for the author going the self-publishing route, if it works, who can knock it!

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I also think it's a good thing, and I enjoy following the success stories. HM Ward posts regularly on Kindleboards and it's very inspiring to read her posts.

As for how publishing is changing... I'm observing but not really opinionated about it. My books are self published so I'm just going with the flow.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to know what everyone thought of this recent movement where you are seeing self-published ebooks at the top of the NY Times and USA Today best sellers list?

My interpretation is that publishing is changing. But then again, it always has changed.

I really want to have a conversation about this with other writers! I didn't see this topic any other place on the forum. If I missed it someplace, I'm sorry to repost.
You didn't look very far, everywriter. I'll move this to our Self Publishing room, as it doesn't specifically address e-publishing.

Also, hello! I'm new to the forum.

Yep. Hello.

Also, I have to wonder: why did you link to two articles on Forbes which were written by the same person? Did you write them?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think this should probably be in the self publishing forum.

Personally I think anyone doing well, regardless of their publishing medium, is awesome.

stranger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I really want to have a conversation about this with other writers! I didn't see this topic any other place on the forum. If I missed it someplace, I'm sorry to repost. Also, hello! I'm new to the forum.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyg...shers-are-the-best-at-selling-ebooks-in-2013/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyg...ers-do/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Seems that self publishing should be the first option for many authors in 2013. Doesn't mean that route is an easy way though.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score

People who dislike self-publishing will poo-poo it in one fashion or another, while people who are pro-SP will be encouraged by it. Pretty predictable divide, I think.

I do think the second article's title about self-publishing taking over is an exaggeration. Some self-published titles are starting to compete in a way most people never could have imagined in their wildest dreams (or nightmares, for some), but I wouldn't say self-publishing is taking over. Making a showing, sure.

I enjoy success stories, period, regardless of the path taken to get there. But I'll admit it's nice to see self-published books hit the lists, mostly because a few years ago I thought that could never happen. I didn't think anyone would ever take SP seriously--I didn't then.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Seems that self publishing should be the first option for many authors in 2013. Doesn't mean that route is an easy way though.

Self publishing is definitely the best option for some writers, just as trade publishing is the best option for others.

The trick is to make sure you understand the benefits and limitations of both, work out which one suits you best, work like stink to make a success of it and expect to be a failure.

I do think the second article's title about self-publishing taking over is an exaggeration.

If I had a penny for every article I've ever read which claims that self publishing is taking over, or that trade publishing is broken, or that print books are dead, or that bookshops are all closing down, I would have a great big box of pennies.

I enjoy success stories, period, regardless of the path taken to get there.

Me too.

everywriter

Registered
Reaction score
NO, I did not write either of these articles. I haven't looked at self-publishing in the last year/ year 1/2 in any real way. Then a few days ago I bought a new Kindle, and I looked up ebooks. One of the two articles I posted above came up. I was shocked! I couldn't believe that self-published ebooks were making USA today and NY Times lists? I really wanted to see what other author's think. I do not know what I think of the idea. I know it's a big deal. It's a very big deal, but I just can't get my mind around what it means for the future of publishing.

I'm sorry that I posted this in the wrong place :( I'm happy it has found a correct home.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
But...Hocking and Konrath have been on the NYT for several years now. So was the "Beer in Hell" guy......to the best of my knowledge. So it isn't exactly a new thing.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
But...Hocking and Konrath have been on the NYT for several years now. So was the "Beer in Hell" guy......to the best of my knowledge. So it isn't exactly a new thing.

I think Hocking made it with her trade release, and I don't think Konrath has been there at all. But a number of romance writers, many with trade experience, have been doing gangbuster business. It seems tougher for other genres to make the list with self-pub titles, Hugh Howey being a recent exception.

stranger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

There's a difference between one outlier making the bestseller lists, and having 5 out of the top 10 being selfpublished.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
..... I couldn't believe that self-published ebooks were making USA today and NY Times lists? I really wanted to see what other author's think. I do not know what I think of the idea. I know it's a big deal. It's a very big deal, but I just can't get my mind around what it means for the future of publishing.

.... .

sorry; I was responding to this, which hadn't mentioned the frequency. to that end, it isn't new. as far as building stem, it seems to be....not sure how long that will or will not hold, or what it will eventually mean--I've never bought into the notion self-pub "democratizes" anything except access to slush, and remain suspicious that given ten or fifteen years, self-pub will largely be a market of name recognition and not any easier to "get your story out there" in than trade publishing....but since you mentioned Hocking and Konrath being outliers, I'm not sure self-pub to "big numbers" was ever easier. It can be the right route for folks, certainly, but "easier"? I doubt it; I can't think of many places where having to wear three more hats makes a job eaiser though.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
As Hugh Howey and others have tried to point out, the big story isn't the best sellers, but the far larger number of people who are making significant money or a living wage from "mid-list" levels of sales.

Krista Street

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome everywriter! I'm new too... :) Well, if you want discussion...

I think the self-publishing route has opened a lot of doors for writers. Didn't Hugh Howey say he went that route after being rejected multiple times by agents?? I could be wrong about that, but for some reason that's what I remember. For readers, we have a bigger selection at an affordable price, and as writers, we no longer have agents and publishers dictating what will be published versus thrown in the slush pile. I completely agree with quicklime though. It's definitely not easier to go the self-pub way. You've got to market, edit, promote and find time to write. Not easy at all...

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
in all, self publishing is a very viable way to go for someone who has the time, money, talent and skills to devote to marketing, promotion, editing, design, sales and customer service. It's a tough route and it's not for everyone.

The vast, and I mean WAAAAY over 99% of self published books are selling in double figures.

That said, there have been some great successes with self publishing, and some writers have made a great career from it. But still, the figures need to be considered. What is 20 writers out of however many million of self published writers?

And the concept of making 'a living wage' as a self published writer is EVEN HARDER than any other way.

And it's not just the end dollars you need to consider - you need to work out what your time is worth - you might well make a thousand bucks this month from writing, and that's great, but how many hours did you spend on it? on writing, editing, marketing, promotion, sales, networking? 10 hours a day? 15? suddenly that 1000 bucks doesn't equate to as much as you thought. So you need to consider that as well.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
I think the important thing is that ten years ago it would have been impossible for a self published book to hit the NY Times best seller list. That it is even possible to do that now without a publisher says a lot.

Self publishing is at least a real option.

My first novel has been out for about four weeks now and I have sold just over 500 ebooks and made about $1,000 in royalties. I am not going to sell thousands of copies or make any best seller lists. I am also not about to quit my day job. Yet I am incredibly happy with this level of success. And have no regrets at all about choosing to self publish.

Don't think self publishing is a mistake if you don't sell 85,000 books. Think in terms of what your best option is and decide if self publishing or trying to find and agent and trade publisher is your best route.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
That said, there have been some great successes with self publishing, and some writers have made a great career from it. But still, the figures need to be considered. What is 20 writers out of however many million of self published writers?

And the concept of making 'a living wage' as a self published writer is EVEN HARDER than any other way.

I just can't look at the people I know and believe that. I referenced the Hugh Howey article above, but I've had the same experience.

I just know too many people who've quit their jobs in the last year to not see that there are people doing quite well writing. People nobody's ever heard of, not people like Hugh Howey or Colleen Hoover. I know an even larger group who started writing and publishing because they didn't have a job who've gone from abject poverty to making a living.

And that isn't even mentioning the even larger group of people like my partner and I who are dabbling and making significant secondary income. We made $4500 in our first year of writing. This year we expect to double that. We're not an anomaly and we're not even particularly good writers.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I just can't look at the people I know and believe that. I referenced the Hugh Howey article above, but I've had the same experience.

I just know too many people who've quit their jobs in the last year to not see that there are people doing quite well writing. People nobody's ever heard of, not people like Hugh Howey or Colleen Hoover. I know an even larger group who started writing and publishing because they didn't have a job who've gone from abject poverty to making a living.

And that isn't even mentioning the even larger group of people like my partner and I who are dabbling and making significant secondary income. We made $4500 in our first year of writing. This year we expect to double that. We're not an anomaly and we're not even particularly good writers.

And do you consider $4500 a decent living wage?

The point I was trying to make is that far too many people get sucked into the idea that they can get rich quick by self publishing - or publishing at all - and that's simply not the case.

I make a decent amount from writing, but by no means can I afford to quit my day job. Bear in mind, I'm married to a publisher, so I have a good idea of what I'm talking about - I know many authors, and vey few of them make their living from writing alone - and the ones that do have usually spent years building up a fan base and ensuring that they have a consistant level of income from writing and that they aren't one hit wonders etc.

So sure, some people can make good money writing, but I guess it depends on your perception of a decent living wage - for some folks that might be as little as £10k a year, others couldn't afford to live on less than £60k.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com

Actually, it's probably less than that.

Publicity, copy editing, cover art, etc. would eat into that amount - unless it was already deducted.

As I've told friends before - I'm too poor to self-publish. I can't take the financial risk of putting hundreds of dollars out and *not* make the money back.

There's plenty of self-pubbed authors here on AW detailing their experiences. I see more making less than those making a "decent living wage".

:(

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score

I'm sorry if I wasn't being clear, but I was offering ourselves as examples of not particularly successful dabblers. We're not doing this as a living. We write between work and keeping a very active two year old from achiever her heart's desires of toppling a bookshelf or sticking her finger in the electric socket.

We are making what we consider a reasonable secondary income given our limited time. It pays for our internet, cable tv, and electricity and that's been a rather nice cushion.

But I know dozens of people who "nobody has ever heard of" who are making in the 3-10k a month range.

everywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Even if they are not making a living writing, they are still writing. Many would have given up a long time ago. What's the difference between the self-published author who is making $4500 a year and the author who has a manuscript that will never be published? = $4500 and incentive to keep writing. I know many more writers who have given up writing than I know writers who have been published, so isn't a better world where you can give it a shot on your own and have a chance to make a little money. There are many many published authors who don't make a living wage from what they publish.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Not disputing anyone, but I'm always a bit skeptical of people who claim they're earning a great deal of money writing, whether they're self-publishing or trade publishing. Maybe I've just been around the block too many times to swallow the "I'm so much more successful than the average Joe" line, and not just from writers. If they're no longer going off to work in the morning, the house isn't falling into disrepair, and no rich relatives have recently died, then I might believe they're doing okay.

Yeah, I'm a cynic, through and through. :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.