PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like an idiot!

Jenny
02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Where's the hot, blushing red smiley face when you need it?

I never check my User CP here and I did today -- I thought I'd change my profile, maybe admit my age, that sort of thing -- and I found people had left me those nice little reputation messages. And I hadn't known, hadn't responded. Had let them sit there in a blackhole. So I thought I'd let the world know the truth - I'm not rude, just lazy and clueless.

Maybe what this place needs is a sinbin for people who post (or don't post) cos of natural stupidity. Anyone want to point the way?

MacAllister
02-09-2006, 02:16 PM
No worries. :) You aren't the first member that's happened to.

Carole
02-09-2006, 03:20 PM
*guilty*

It took me a while to find the rep points, too.

alleycat
02-09-2006, 04:18 PM
If that's the worse thing you ever do here . . . you'll be considered a saint.

Don't worry about it.

ac

Unique
02-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Yep. I feel like an idiot sometimes. But not for that. :Headbang:

Shwebb
02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Uh . . . how do you respond to rep points? I thought it was okay to think warm, fuzzy thoughts about the person who gave me one.

Is there a "thank you" card we're supposed to send?

Geez, you mean I've been doing this wrong all along?

:gone:

Moondancer
02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Could be worse... I know about them... knew about them since Jenna started them and still forget about them... I forget looking at my own, giving points out, that sort of thing on a constant basis.

I'll go on a rampage and award a bunch of them to people as I read, and then I'll get busy or sidetracked and forget again.

There's one person here who will remind me to go look at them once in awhile. She knows me too well...

NewB
02-09-2006, 05:22 PM
*raises hand slowly*

Me too. It took me almost 3 months to find out that rep points existed. I don't respond to all the sweet people who give me rep points. What am I supposed to do? Reply with a thank you or grant them rep points when I get a chance?

BTW, what do we do with these rep points? Can I exchange them for a pizza? *yum yum*

Pat~
02-09-2006, 06:43 PM
You're in plenty of good company. It took me about 6 months to discover the rep points. The comments reveal some of the kindest people around, and I've often wished there was a way to 'reply'--though occasionally I have, with a PM.
Don't kick yourself, though; I don't think anybody expects a reply to them, since that feature isn't built in. Just spread the goodwill yourself, and 'rep' people by clicking on the little icon at the bottom of the post that looks like a bomb :) .

Basilides
02-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Reputation points? What reputation points?

On second thought, don't tell me. If I check and find a big fat goose egg, I'll be scarred for life.

Yeshanu
02-09-2006, 07:34 PM
For an explanation of rep points, you can read through this and other threads on the FAQ board:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10217

To check your rep points, click on "User CP" on the far left in the blue bar just above the thread. It'll show you how many rep points you have, who they came from, and what they said.

Go ahead, Basilides, check them! I can guarantee you don't have a goose egg. :D

BTW, you can reply by repping the person who repped you, or you can reply by PM. I often don't reply at all, but I make certain that I give as good as I get, and rep people when they say something particularly brilliant, or nice, or funny. You may have your own criteria, but that's the basic idea behind the rep points...

Vanessa
02-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I was once an idiot with rep points too. Same thing happened to me!

Unique
02-09-2006, 11:52 PM
.....'rep' people by clicking on the little icon at the bottom of the post that looks like a bomb :) .

I thought it was a snowflake. Never could figure why that was a good thing....then someone told me a it was a balance scale. That made much more sense.

pconsidine
02-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Well jeepers - if that's a sign of idiocy, then I'd have to be the king idiot. I've been here since March of last year and I only noticed rep points about a month or two ago.

Of course, now I'm a raging egomaniac because of all the points I've gotten.

Fear me.

Rob-rite
02-10-2006, 01:42 AM
It's funny you should mention rep points because I haven't been around for quite a while and the majority of my list are from the notorious "bonking" period! (A lot of people won't have a clue what I'm on about...)

threedogpeople
02-10-2006, 01:47 AM

I never check my User CP here and I did today -- I thought I'd change my profile, maybe admit my age, that sort of thing -- and I found people had left me those nice little reputation messages. ?

It took me some time to find them too. Then, when I found them it was like getting a present. I'm now compulsive and check them every time I go on the site...I can't help it, I JUST CAN'T HELP IT!

awatkins
02-10-2006, 01:51 AM
Hi, Rob-rite! I think a lot of folks found themselves loaded up with reps during the Bonk Period. :D

Wow, did that ever dredge up a lot of memories. :ROFL:

Shadow_Ferret
02-10-2006, 02:16 AM
I will join the idiot briggade. I didn't know about them at first either. Took me a couple months to find them.

And occassionally I'll PM the person or give them a rep point back.

But anyway, I'd like to thank everyone for the kinds thoughts. :)

Sarita
02-10-2006, 02:35 AM
It's funny you should mention rep points because I haven't been around for quite a while and the majority of my list are from the notorious "bonking" period! (A lot of people won't have a clue what I'm on about...)Ack! It's Rob!!! So good to see you again, my friend!

William Haskins
02-10-2006, 02:38 AM
Ever feel like an idiot!

almost exclusively.

Maryn
02-10-2006, 02:38 AM
I will admit that I'm a bit of a rep-points slut, once I found them. I post things intended to make people laugh, instead of writing, just to get those points. They may have coined "Get a life" just for me. (Okay if I take yours?)

I don't respond to rep points. Was I supposed to? I see a tendency to both give them to and receive them from the same people, though--obviously people with whom I agree on a lot of things, starting with sense of humor.

Maryn, considering a 12-step program to withdraw from rep points

MacAllister
02-10-2006, 02:40 AM
Now we just have to figure out a way to add a paypal box to everyone's user-box, next to the reputation scales.

Rob-Rite! So good to have you back!

Sarita
02-10-2006, 02:44 AM
I like the way you think, Mac. I need to start shopping for baby clothes soon. :)

awatkins
02-10-2006, 02:49 AM
:roll:

Great idea, Mac. :D

(grasshopper)
02-10-2006, 04:58 AM
I also wondered what those comments were doing on my User CP. I thought they were PMs. But I didn't know how to answer them. I was too embarrassed to make a post asking what they were, so I emailed one of the moderators and asked. She was very nice. Explained it all.

Sure good to hear that I'm not the only one.

William Haskins
02-10-2006, 05:00 AM
i'm up to 13 rep points now.

Shwebb
02-10-2006, 05:12 AM
:e2cheer: Haskins, quit p!ssing off people, and maybe you'll get to keep a few.
(Yeah, right, Mister-you're-so-great-they've-run-out-of-appropriate-compliments! You deserve a smilie for that one.)

Jenny
02-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks all. It can't be idiocy if it's shared.:hooray:

writerterri
02-10-2006, 09:52 AM
I thought I was going to win something.

writerterri
02-10-2006, 09:54 AM
i'm up to 13 rep points now.

And they're all from me http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_200v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS).

WerenCole
02-10-2006, 09:54 AM
We-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ellllll....

You know ya make me wanna BONK!
Look my hands jumpin' (BONK!)
Look my heart's bumpin' (BONK!)
Throw my head back (BONK!)
Come on now!

(Bonk by Lulu)

And you thought we wouldn't rememeber. . .

maestrowork
02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
?have a bunch to give away (mostly Haskins' love notes) ...to give away... Now accepting Paypal.

Carole
02-14-2006, 06:08 PM
?have a bunch to give away (mostly Haskins' love notes) ...to give away... Now accepting Paypal.

Ray, it's awfully early....you drinking already?

aka eraser
02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
I'd often go weeks without checking rep points then feel like a dolt when I finally remembered. What's way worse though is forgetting to dole them out. It seems like quite often I come here with my "work" hat on. I'm thinking mod-ish thoughts, looking for brush fires that have the potential of becoming conflagrations, instead of kicking back and joining in the goofing.

Oh, and I restrict my idiocy to days of the week that end in a "y." It's a discipline thing.

SC Harrison
02-14-2006, 09:43 PM
I often don't know what to say when somebody reps me. Just saying "thanks!" seems like a horrible waste of PM traffic, but if I type too much blather I get into trouble (without my interpreter watching).

Just to set things straight for future PMs: I'm a really nice guy with a weird sense of humor, and I rarely (if ever) mean any harm with my words.

p.s. much love to those who have repped me and didn't receive a response.

Fern
02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Well I guess I need one of those embarrassed face emoticons too because I just went to check mine for the first time ever. Thanks to all who repped me. I'll try to remember to do the same in future.

kappapi99
02-14-2006, 10:42 PM

I never check my User CP here and I did today -- I thought I'd change my profile, maybe admit my age, that sort of thing -- and I found people had left me those nice little reputation messages. And I hadn't known, hadn't responded. Had let them sit there in a blackhole. So I thought I'd let the world know the truth - I'm not rude, just lazy and clueless.

Maybe what this place needs is a sinbin for people who post (or don't post) cos of natural stupidity. Anyone want to point the way?

I'll be first in line...

KAP
02-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Durn. I'm an idiot, too. Glad to have good company.

Jaycinth
02-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Comfirming idiocy: *Pinching myself.* Yep I do feel like an idiot.

*looks in mirror* HEY I look like an idiot too!!!!.
Took me months to find the rep points.
*pinch pinch* I still feel like an idiot.