PDA

View Full Version : commercials that suck

silentpoet
02-09-2006, 08:34 AM
I know there are probably better word choices, but let us be blunt. There are some pretty bad, stupid, and just plain awful commercials out there.

My favorite to hate is the sonic commercials. I hate them with an inspired passion. I don't have a very good diet(you would know this by looking at me), but these commercials are helping a little by making sure I don't eat at sonic.

What are some your pet peeve commercials?

DamaNegra
02-09-2006, 08:36 AM
One horrible car commercial I just HATE to see because it's stereotypical and ugh!!

A guy drives on his beat-up old (and I mean OLD) car into a hotel valet parking service. The valet parking guy walks over to him, smirking, and says:
"The service entrance is on the back" and then a booming voice says: "Having a new car can change your life."

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady_Kristin
02-09-2006, 10:30 AM
The new Disney World commercial about being a hero. :Shrug:

aadams73
02-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Burger King. That creepy plastic king has ensured I will never eat another one of their burgers as long as I live.

silentpoet
02-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I sent an email to about the only email address I could find for sonic. Their website has no complaint form or even just a generic contact form or page. There are a few addresses.

What I suggest we do is start contacting these places that put out such craptacular commercials and letting them know how we feel.

Jcomp
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Burger King. That creepy plastic king has ensured I will never eat another one of their burgers as long as I live.

That dude is scary.

I actually don't mind the sonic commercials.

The H3 commercial during the Super Bowl, with the pregnant monster, that was just damn nasty. I could've done without seeing that.

Any beer commercial where it's a bunch of dudes partying together with no women in sight, acting like that's really what most guys are trying to be about. "Whew! What a night, I partied with dudes and Bud until the sunrise!" What...?

blacbird
02-09-2006, 06:51 PM
aadams has nailed it. Little else comes close. Not only is the king figure bizarrely Stephen-Kingish, but the entire concept of the commercials, especially the ones where he's playing football, is asinine beyond comprehension.

Burger King has long been infamous for idiotic commercials. Which brings up the questions of who their ad agency is, and what can they possibly be thinking, and what does it say about their intended customer demographic?

I never eat there, either, which is helped by the fact that all but one of the BK outlets in my town went bankrupt a couple of years ago.

caw.

eldragon
02-09-2006, 06:52 PM
To me, any commercial sucks. But then again, I think TV sucks. That's why I don't have it.

maestrowork
02-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Local car dealership commercials grate me. AGH! Can't they at least hire some professional actors/spokemodels? And the music... AGH!

Shwebb
02-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I hate, HATE! the "bears in the woods" commercials by Charmin. I'm sure that whoever came up w/ that idea had it spawned off the "does a bear sh!t in the woods?"

I don't need bears anthropomorphized to the point of them using toilet paper and having discussions about what the best brand for them is.

eldragon
02-09-2006, 07:09 PM
My family was in the car business for over forty years.

Those hick commercials, with the loud-mouthed , spastic guys? They are created by Ford, Chevrolet, etc., and then sold to local dealers. They seem like some local guy is making it, but it's all done professionally.

maestrowork
02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Female hygiene products. OK, do I really have to listen to "I don't feel very fresh today" and "it absorbs most moisture" like 10 times in a roll, even if the models are very cute?

JenNipps
02-09-2006, 07:14 PM
I know there are probably better word choices, but let us be blunt. There are some pretty bad, stupid, and just plain awful commercials out there.

My favorite to hate is the sonic commercials. I hate them with an inspired passion. I don't have a very good diet(you would know this by looking at me), but these commercials are helping a little by making sure I don't eat at sonic.

What are some your pet peeve commercials?

Oh, I completely agree about the Sonic commercials!! Too bad I was already hooked on their chicken club toaster sandwich before those things started on the TV. :rant:

I also hate Carl's Jr. commercials. Especially when they were doing the "If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face" garbage.

My recent hated commercial is for Taco Bueno. "You say Taco, I say Bueno. Taco! Bueno! Taco! Bueno!"

Ugh!!

(That last one was just on the TV as I started typing it.)

clintl
02-09-2006, 08:23 PM

Even Burger King called the King creepy in their Super Bowl commercial.

There are some really bad radio ads playing on the radio stations I listen to. One current one is a mortgage company ad trying parody Seinfeld, but with dialogue about a mortgage Nazi instead of a soup Nazi, and doing a horrible job of it.

Last November, there was a local pest control company running a Thanksgiving-themed radio ad featuring a royal couple with the fakest English accents it's possible to imagine discussing the potential problem of "unwanted guests" (pests) carrying off their Thanksgiving turkey again. Just so conceptually idiotic on so many different levels.

clintl
02-09-2006, 08:26 PM
My family was in the car business for over forty years.

Those hick commercials, with the loud-mouthed , spastic guys? They are created by Ford, Chevrolet, etc., and then sold to local dealers. They seem like some local guy is making it, but it's all done professionally.

There's one being run by a local dealership here that is a really bad parody of the Capital One ads - not the barbarian ones, but the David Spader ads with new hire guy who says "yes" instead of "no". The strange thing is that this dealership has in the past run ads that are fairly professional-looking in the past.

Maryn
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
What we're failing to take into account is that these commercials are working--even on us, who hate them. We have product identification--we've learned those brand names. Our vows to never ever buy the product because of the awful ad may stick, but more likely, they won't.

Some of you may remember a truly dreadful commercial from the past. Some pudgy Everyman type at a suburban kitchen table bites into a buttered roll or muffin. Trumpet fanfare sounds (in later versions, from a trio of medieval trumpeters), and a crown appears on his head, because he's tasting Imperial Margerine, fit for a king. (It was worse than it sounds--shudderingly bad.)

Imperial knew consumers hated their ad. The got letters telling them how stupid it was, how insulting to their intelligence, how lame, how the amount of margarine on that muffin was disgusting, etc., and how they'd never buy Imperial again. But they didn't care--because sales increased in direct correlation to the airing of the ad.

Hate away. It's working.

Jcomp
02-09-2006, 08:46 PM
What we're failing to take into account is that these commercials are working--even on us, who hate them. We have product identification--we've learned those brand names. Our vows to never ever buy the product because of the awful ad may stick, but more likely, they won't.

Some of you may remember a truly dreadful commercial from the past. Some pudgy Everyman type at a suburban kitchen table bites into a buttered roll or muffin. Trumpet fanfare sounds (in later versions, from a trio of medieval trumpeters), and a crown appears on his head, because he's tasting Imperial Margerine, fit for a king. (It was worse than it sounds--shudderingly bad.)

Imperial knew consumers hated their ad. The got letters telling them how stupid it was, how insulting to their intelligence, how lame, how the amount of margarine on that muffin was disgusting, etc., and how they'd never buy Imperial again. But they didn't care--because sales increased in direct correlation to the airing of the ad.

Hate away. It's working.

True.

rtilryarms
02-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Hoover and Oreck

Cheryll
02-10-2006, 12:42 AM
The Welch's grape juice commercial with the little girl in pigtails who over-pronunciates each and every word. Arggggghhhh...

Hey, I love children, but that kid drives me up a wall! LOL

Cheryll

Maryn
02-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Good choice, Cheryll--my kids have formed some pretty twisted theories about what the Welch's people must be doing to those kids off-camera to make them behave that way. It's so clearly unnatural... and for years, the spokes-kids all have that other-worldly perfection that's so creepy.

Maryn, who takes her grape juice in wine form

Shadow_Ferret
02-10-2006, 02:29 AM
The only reason I don't like the Sonic commercials is because there isn't one within a 100 miles of us. So all they do is give me a craving I can't satisfy.

The commercial I hate is the one where it's raining and all the guys are running around, "It's beer!" and drinking it and catching it in containers and then one guy runs into a bar to tell everyone it's raining beer and everyone is there drinking Miller Lite and look at him like he's insane. C'mon! Miller Lite? That's water, too, isn't it? That would have been a great commercial if some beer known for it's flavor and darker color would have done it.

SC Harrison
02-10-2006, 04:59 AM
I think my personal un-favorites are the razor commercials. The Mach3 jet thing was bad enough, but now we have this Fusion thing, with the underground laboratory with some kind of particle accelerator. The first time I saw that one I thought it was the trailer for a new (and cool) science fiction movie, only to see some guy scratching five blades across his face. Gimme a break.

maestrowork
02-10-2006, 05:03 AM
There's a deodorant commercial (forgot which brand) feature a chopsocky Chinese martial artist... I find that commercial incredibly racist.

William Haskins
02-10-2006, 05:09 AM
All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fvck you, buddy.

-Tool, "Hooker with a Penis"

Annabella
02-10-2006, 05:17 AM
There was at Friday's commercial (I think..)Where the husband sees his wife at the restaurant (where he had gone with 'the guys'). He walks over to her and says "Where are the kids?" Like she can't leave the house to go out with her friends??

Oh, the rest of the commercial is that the kids and grandma end up at the same restaurant. But it irritated me that the husband thought the wife had to stay home with the kids. anyway...

Cheryll
02-10-2006, 05:26 AM
There was at Friday's commercial (I think..)Where the husband sees his wife at the restaurant (where he had gone with 'the guys'). He walks over to her and says "Where are the kids?" Like she can't leave the house to go out with her friends??

LMAO! I saw that one, too. It was just the guy's whole attitude and the look on his face. As if she had somehow gotten out of her cage. I was like, "Bug off, jerk!" :D

LieselGarmach
02-10-2006, 12:41 PM
The batch of Quizno's commercials before Bob the baby. I can't eat at Quizno's because I think of rodents singing or a man pretending to be a wolf cub sucking a wolf's teat.

I was relieved to read that they'd fired the agency that came up with those.

Jcomp
02-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I think my personal un-favorites are the razor commercials. The Mach3 jet thing was bad enough, but now we have this Fusion thing, with the underground laboratory with some kind of particle accelerator. The first time I saw that one I thought it was the trailer for a new (and cool) science fiction movie, only to see some guy scratching five blades across his face. Gimme a break.

Oh God yes. I hate the damn razor commercials. Razors cannot save the world guys, relax with that.

Shadow_Ferret
02-10-2006, 07:24 PM

Oh, the rest of the commercial is that the kids and grandma end up at the same restaurant. But it irritated me that the husband thought the wife had to stay home with the kids. anyway...

See, now I didn't see it that way. A lot of couples have their own night out free and I just assumed this was one of those. I thought it was a situation where it was his night out and he was surprised to see his wife and wondered who was watching the kids.

The batch of Quizno's commercials before Bob the baby. I can't eat at Quizno's because I think of rodents singing or a man pretending to be a wolf cub sucking a wolf's teat.

I don't remember the animals, but these talking baby ones creep me out!

silentpoet
02-11-2006, 04:27 AM
The thing that bugs me about the quizno's commercials is that the family is breaking up right in front of our eyes. Think about it. They are dishonest with each other, the parents don't even know where their kids are. It is just sad.

StoryG27
02-11-2006, 04:36 AM

LOL! My Hubby HATES this commercial. I don't really care either way. It drives him nuts because he just thinks it's stupid they all went separately when they could have had a great meal out and enjoyed time together as a family. Oh he gets so irritated.

(grasshopper)
02-11-2006, 05:23 AM
BASF

"We don't make the d-mn thing . . . we make it better."

What's that supposed to mean?
And why should I care?

And if they don't have enough talent to MAKE anything, why should I believe they can improve it?
This commercial makes no sense whatsoever.

(If anyone can explain it, I'd love to hear from you.)

Shadow_Ferret
02-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I think BASF makes plastics. So what they are saying is, they don't make those products, but because those products are made with their plastic that is what makes the product better than it would be if it used someone else's plastic.

Shadow_Ferret
02-12-2006, 01:15 AM
The Trident commercial where the guy is in a Speedo by a bus stop.

Why do I hate it?

THE GUY IS IN A SPEEDO!

Those things should be banned.

aadams73
02-12-2006, 04:52 AM

OH YEEEEESSSSS!! Those little things really skeeved me out. But ditto for Bob The Baby. I no longer eat at Quiznos in protest. Hmmm, my list of fast food choices is dwindling rapidly.

WVWriterGirl
02-12-2006, 05:37 AM
I couldn't come up with anything when I first read this thread, and then it hit me:

Those dermatophyte commercials with the swinging door toenail. I have to turn my head when that one comes on, lest we get a rerun of lunch or dinner. Toenail fungus is nasty enough, but do they have to show it with such an icky, graphic animation? Ugh...

Annabella
03-18-2006, 08:05 PM
The new skittles commercial with the guy and his beard. That's just creepy. :shudder:

LightShadow
03-19-2006, 02:39 AM
The Comcast commercials where at the end it's proclaimed: It's Comcastic bugs the you-know-what out of me. Thing is, even though I hate it, the adverstiser achieved the goal and I am remembering that stupid ad...wow, that's just COMCASTIC!

cool_st_elizabeth
03-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Some of the Geico commercials. Schizophrenic or what? I just wish they'd settle on an advertising campaign already! The ones with the gecko are just annoying, but the commercial with the cavemen in the restaurant appears to be a thinly disguised racial slur. Imagine if the cavemen were Polish (husband is) or black, or ... you get the idea.

That leaves the series where the good news is, somebody just saved a bunch of money on their car insurance! Those, I like, especially the new one with the garage band & the mysterious Spanish guitar player.

We've been insured by Geico the last four years ... they are a terrific company to deal with & I doubt another company could match the low rate we're paying. I just wanted to whine about their commercials.

Danger Jane
03-19-2006, 07:50 AM
The Daisy sour cream commercial ("Just pick up a spoon and a dollop/a dollop/of Daisy" or SOMETHING) makes me want to die. We REALLY HAVE sunk this low.

Shadow_Ferret
04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I can't concentrate...

....am I pregnant?

A. Hamilton
04-22-2006, 08:14 PM
i think it's a Hershey's commercial..there's a cow sorta jiggling around and some bouncy music playing and some guy dancing around the cow..grabbing it and shaking it and gyrating all around her. i'ts probably supposed to be silly but it comes across rather sick. i suspect they got complaints, because now i see one with the same cow, (well it could be a different cow) but instead of the man, some cute little kid in a cow costume is dancing next to the cow..no longer touching the cow or shaking her, just jiggling around.

janetbellinger
04-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Beer commercials located at sports venues, making it look like if everybody just has a beer, they'll all become athletes.

Commercials I love: The Fido commercials, with the dog executives.