Dog that seems frou-frou but is secretly scrappy and tough?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Related to my other post about a city socialite transplanted to a small town...

I want the guy to have a dog. The character is gay, and he's a bit stereotypically effeminate - not RIGHT over the top, but getting there. I want him to have a stereotypically appropriate dog.

But I want the guy (and the dog) to end up being pretty scrappy and able to take care of themselves in the country (with a little help from a handsome cowboy - what? It's a romance!).

Anyway, any suggestions on what kind of dog would fit this? I was thinking that some sort of terrier might work for the second part - they're not big but they're pretty much the definition of scrappy. But I'm not sure if any terrier breeds are fashionable enough to satisfy the first part.

Help?

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Maltese terriers are the most dumped dogs (here anyway) because they are such evil little things. They're pretty, but they'll rip your toes off in a heartbeat.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every little dog in LA wears a jacket if the temperature dips below 60 F. But one frigid January in Germany I saw a wondrous little chihuahua frolicking on a snow-covered riverbank in sub-freezing temperatures, and I had mad respect for that dog. Little dogs can still be badasses if they aren't coddled too hard.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Isn't poodle the smartest breed overall?

I'd say Jack Russell. They're frou frou and scrappy.

Also, a frou frou chee huey huey will take on a doberman and a shepherd. :)

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Standard Poodles are in the "Top Ten", as measured by Stanley Coren. Border Collies are number 1, in fact (with my dear Doberman coming in at 5). I've heard of Poodles actually being pretty tough numbers, and they were originally hunting dogs (water retrievers, anyway). Also, according to Wikipedia, they were used as Wardogs in WWII, though I'm unclear on the capacity, as the military K9 has many jobs.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pekingese. They were bred to be personal protection dogs for the Chinese Emperor and his family. They're mega-furry, with big eyes and cute little faces. The AKC says they should be under 14 lbs, but mine is 20 lbs. (Malachy the Peke won Westminster last year, FWIW: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=chrf-yff13&va=malachy+the+pekingese_)

However, under that fur, they have the stature of a mini-bulldog with the big heavy front quarters and the small back end. As personal protection dogs, they are very attached to their person (and they do attach to one person, though they may like an entire family).

True story: I took the back roads to pick up Taco Bell and took my Peke with me. It was winter, at night, and the back roads have no street lights. Londo (my Peke) was in the back seat, hoping for what was in the bags.

Someone flagged me down out of the dark. Being a nice person, I stopped and rolled down my window. A man I couldn't see well approached my car and asked directions for a street that I didn't know (and have since discovered doesn't exist in this city). From the back seat, there was a growl that should've belong to a doberman, but it was my little 20 lb Peke. The guy put up his hands and backed away from my car. I seriously think he saved my life.

But, look at Malachy--does he or does he not look totally frou-frou? ;)

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I have three toy poodles and I can attest to their intelligence. Its scary sometimes what these dogs can figure out. And when they're fresh from the groomers, you just cant beat a poodle for the frou-frou factor.

But let me tell you, if someone comes into this house uninvited, my twelve pound guard dogs will rip their bloody leg off. I had a mailman tell me once that no breed struck fear into mailmen's hearts quite the way a poodle could.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the Schipperke.

Not too many people would really consider most Terriers like the JRT, PRT, Rat, Fox, Toy Fox, etc., to be frou frou. Perhaps the Bedlington would work, maybe even the Manchester.

A Standard Poodle (Spoo) would definitely fit your description, but it would also be expected.

Miniature Schnauzers could fit your criteria, and there are some surprisingly fierce Cocker Spaniels out there. Dachshunds are stout little dogs (bred to hunt badger), that most people view as inconsequential.

If you want to go more exotic, try the American Hairless Terrier (one I take care of periodically actually bit a guy who came inside the house too fast -- on the ass) or the Xoloitzcuintli, and you'd be surprised at how feisty a Chinese Crested can be.

. . . but considering the beasts I live with, lol :D

Nawlins

Registered
Reaction score
My poodle was a cutie in her puppy cut, but I taught her to snarl on command ("Smile!"), and that was downright scary, lolol. I forgot to lock the screen door one day and when the postman came to deliver the mail, she waited till he climbed the steps and then shot through the door. It was like a cartoon: he jumped off the porch and tossed that bag before he hit the ground - running, I might add. I got the dog into the house (she did NOT pursue him btw) but he was already in the next block. Took nearly an hour to collect and reorganize his mail. He was NOT happy, and he was a big ol' bubba. lol Poodles are cute but those teeth are big and pointy! lolol

Might want to consider Chows. They're fancy in show clip but large enough to be imposing.

Airedales can also be pretty feisty; they're not hugely popular, so that might have enough of a chi-chi exclusivity to appeal to your character, if it appeals to him to have a breed that he won't see at every dog park.
http://www.mydogbreed.com/airedale-terrier/airedale-terrier-training.php

Last edited:

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
An Airedale is a formidable dog, not too many people are going to consider one frou-frou. Consider that it's a Terrier roughly the (correct) size of a Doberman. ;)

And Chows have a rep (not completely deserved) of being . . . irascible.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Yorkies are small enough to be purse dogs, but the ones I've met think they're Doberman sized.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
There's nothing frou frou about Jack Russells. The farmers I knew kept them as ratters.

Spaniels could be a good bet. They look floppy and furry but they are actually working dogs and need more exercise than most city folks realize.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
These are great ideas, guys - thanks! I'm running back and forth between this thread and google, looking them all up!

And yes, DeleyanLee, Malachy definitely looks frou-frou. And adorable!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I would second poodles, or daschunds, but definately not any sort of terrier, especially a Jack Rusell - they are the pigeons and rats of the dog world - small, smelly and found everywhere.

Sonata

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As predictable as it may be, a standard poodle would fit your bill perfectly. They get a bad rep for their fur-doo's, but they are highly intelligent and capable dogs.

I've known a lot of airedales, and there's nothing frou-frou about the breed. Great farm dogs though.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Many small dogs, inc. poodles, dachshunds, and all the terriers, were bred for hunting. Give them an opportunity and they'll prove it for you!

When I was a child my neighborhood was ruled by a dachshund. Terrifying, ferocious creature -- he may have been only 8 inches high, but nothing got in his way or lived to tell the tale...

rseldon

Registered
Reaction score
Are corgis fashionable? (Hey, the Queen keeps them.) Some people dismiss them as just cute, but they can be darn tough little dogs and they are very, very bright. They were bred for herding work, so they're definitely suited to country life -- and to bossing around creatures much larger than themselves. :D

My first corgi, when I was a kid, was an adorable snuggly sweetheart, but she could track me across a mile of forest if I went out to play without her. She also routinely told our neighbor's dog -- an old English sheepdog who weighed about 90 pounds -- to lie down and play dead or face the consequences. She was never actually vicious; she just glared and curled her lip, and that 90 pound sheepdog obeyed her without question. She could definitely take care of herself. :)

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Pekingese. They were bred to be personal protection dogs for the Chinese Emperor and his family. They're mega-furry, with big eyes and cute little faces. The AKC says they should be under 14 lbs, but mine is 20 lbs. (Malachy the Peke won Westminster last year, FWIW: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=chrf-yff13&va=malachy+the+pekingese_)

However, under that fur, they have the stature of a mini-bulldog with the big heavy front quarters and the small back end. As personal protection dogs, they are very attached to their person (and they do attach to one person, though they may like an entire family).

True story: I took the back roads to pick up Taco Bell and took my Peke with me. It was winter, at night, and the back roads have no street lights. Londo (my Peke) was in the back seat, hoping for what was in the bags.

Someone flagged me down out of the dark. Being a nice person, I stopped and rolled down my window. A man I couldn't see well approached my car and asked directions for a street that I didn't know (and have since discovered doesn't exist in this city). From the back seat, there was a growl that should've belong to a doberman, but it was my little 20 lb Peke. The guy put up his hands and backed away from my car. I seriously think he saved my life.

But, look at Malachy--does he or does he not look totally frou-frou? ;)

Are Pekes the ones bred to sit in peoples' sleeves in court? I confess, I've never heard that they were bred for personal protection (i.e. a "manstopper", which is a little different from being a watchdog), but rather as a companion breed.

Considering Malachy couldn't complete a lap around the ring (his handler picked him up and carried him), yeah, he's frou frou cubed. It was disappointing to me that 1. The Doberman didn't win and 2.Malachy seemed labored at basic doggie things (walking and breathing). I kind of felt sorry for the little dude.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I have a little daschund mix and she's the prettiest little princess. She's also a stone cold killer. Moles are her favorite victims. Sniffing them out, digging them up, then killing them.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I would second poodles, or daschunds, but definately not any sort of terrier, especially a Jack Rusell - they are the pigeons and rats of the dog world - small, smelly and found everywhere.

<---"I am not smelly! *sniffs* I might be convinced to admit to the rest." --Ziggy

My sister-in-law has a Mini-Pin. The most vicious little dog EVER. When she's riled, everyone steers clear, including Ziggy over there. She can fit in a bag but WILL NOT wear a sweater, even though she shivers in the cold.

Westies are quite common city dogs (with their funny show-cuts) but they'll go all terrier on you given the chance. Scrappy? Yup, All white, unleashed to roll in cow and sheep poo in the country? Yup. Some good fodder for comedy there.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
How about a Cocker Spaniel? Kind of dumb, but they can be quite brave.

Or a terrier like a Scottie or a Westie? I've seen a Scottie continue trying to gnaw a guy's ankles off while being whacked at with a 2x4 and a Westie who was mauled by an entire pack of dogs to a point near death who was still snarling and snapping at the pack after she was rescued.

ETA
Westies are quite common city dogs (with their funny show-cuts) but they'll go all terrier on you given the chance. Scrappy? Yup, All white, unleashed to roll in cow and sheep poo in the country? Yup. Some good fodder for comedy there.
OMG- YES!

My Westie (the one who survived a feral dog pack) was left alone in my grandparents' house with an unlocked wood fireplace. It was summer and the fireplace hadn't been used in months, but hadn't been cleaned out. We came back to find a completely black little face looking at us from the hearth. It was like she had turned into a Scottie in an hour.

And then, of course, she had to lead us on a chase through the house - over the carpet, onto the couch, rubbing under the bed. What a mess! And she was having the time of her life.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think poodles may fit your requirements, but I suspect they may be a bit overexposed if not typecast as powderpuffs with attitude.

Hence, I echo Nawlins and Liralen and cast my vote for a Chow Chow...

They are frou-frou in appearance only, quietly determined, stoic and aloof - but fiercely loyal. In fact their attitude appears to be more cat-like in a watchful, predatory sense. When they kill, they tend to do it silently... like an assassin.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, I did not vote for the Chow. They're already seen as tough dogs, even with a rather nasty (and undeserved) reputation, some of it from the irresponsible breeding that's been done as they became popular and some less-than-desirable traits got enhanced.

One important thing: please, please, when you use a specific breed of dog in your writing, do it responsibly. Do your research, and don't present the breed in a way that will bring grief on it, whether through pubic perception as a bad breed (there is no such thing) or as a too-cute, good-for-everyone dog. Look what that did to Dalmations, German Shepherds, Great Danes, among others. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be sitting with and working with a couple of Danes who are victims of bad breeding, thanks largely to the overpopularity of the breed and the quest for special "rare" colors.

If you want help with dog research, please feel free to contact me. I've already got way more of it done than anyone should ever need to do, lol, and a fair bit of hands-on. :)