PDA

View Full Version : symptoms of chronic cyanide poisoning

melindamusil
04-30-2013, 01:44 AM
My bad guy is slipping tiny doses of cyanide to his intended victims. What would be the expected symptoms of chronic cyanide poisoning?

King Neptune
04-30-2013, 04:27 AM
I think this will tell you as much as you'll be able to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide_poisoning#Chronic_exposure

Chekurtab
04-30-2013, 05:22 AM
I would think twice before going the cyanide route. Cyanide is a very potent poison that can kill at minuscule doses. If you like chronic poisoning, cyanide is probably not your best choice.

King Neptune
04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Tes, chronic arsenic poisoning is much more interesting than most other poisons.

melindamusil
04-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Hm.
For story reasons, my bad guy has abundant access to cyanide.
I could probably work it so that he also has access to arsenic, but... hmmm... need to brainstorm this a bit more.

King Neptune
04-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Look up the chronic conditions for both. One can become addicted to arsenic such that one will die without it. Cyanide causes cumulative nerve damage, but it tends to kill fairly quickly. What sort of symptoms do you want?

melindamusil
04-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Not 100% sure what symptoms I "want"... primarily the victims should not think that they are being poisoned. Flu-like symptoms maybe? Something that wouldn't cause them alarm.

Of course, if they don't have a lot of symptoms before dropping dead, that would be great. Like, if the poison builds up to a critical point, and then *boom* dead.

King Neptune
04-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Look at that link that I posted earlier; it lists symptoms. There are othe poisons tht might also work, but you would have to read up on poisonsto find the right one.

Drachen Jager
05-01-2013, 12:14 AM
A common long-term poison is antifreeze. Ethylene glycol mimics the symptoms of the flu or a bad cold and it tastes sweet so can easily be added to food. In fact in China they make counterfeit icewine with ethylene glycol.

GeorgeK
05-01-2013, 12:51 AM
A common long-term poison is antifreeze. Ethylene glycol mimics the symptoms of the flu or a bad cold and it tastes sweet so can easily be added to food. In fact in China they make counterfeit icewine with ethylene glycol.Yep, can you say renal failure?

blacbird
05-01-2013, 04:54 AM
A common long-term poison is antifreeze. Ethylene glycol mimics the symptoms of the flu or a bad cold and it tastes sweet so can easily be added to food.

I believe U.S. manufacturers are now required to add ingredients that make ethylene glycol taste foul. This was done mainly to protect pets, especially dogs, who were prone to poisoning themselves by licking antifreeze.

Another potential chronic poisoning option would be the heavy metal element thallium, in some soluble compound form. Thallium compounds used to be employed in rat poisons, but I think that may now be banned, so it might be hard to get. But there have been instances of murders committed using cumulative doses of thallium. Once ingested, as I understand, it stays in the body forever, and causes severe permanent nerve damage if the victim does not die.

caw