PDA

View Full Version : IEDs

lalyil
04-29-2013, 11:48 PM
That's like the scariest thing to search for in google, I keep imagining the Mossad knocking on my door. lol

For my story, I was wondering if one was able to obtain a disarmed IED and wanted dissemble it in order to trace its place of origin, what parts could be traced? I was thinking specific stones used for shrapnel that can be attributed to some area. But which stones are commonly used for shrapnel?

FYI the story is post apocalyptic so people use what they find and most modern technology is lost. The IED would be very "old fashioned"/savage, in a way.

If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated :)

Drachen Jager
04-29-2013, 11:53 PM
You've really complicated your own question in two ways.

1) You have a world-setting that I can only partly guess at based on your description. In a modern-day setting, computers would be a near-essential bit of equipment for helping track down the bomb's parts. Do they have the Internet in your world? It makes a big difference what tech level you're dealing with.

2) You don't tell us how the bomb is made. Modern high-explosives usually have ceramic chips in them that contain a code for the source and usually a batch number, but (see #1) you need good magnification and computers to use that information. Other parts such as cell-phone detonators etc. can be tracked, but without any information about the nature of the bomb or your tech setting I can't be of much help. Please give some more specifics.

Sarpedon
04-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Usually one would use metal for shapnel. If one used stones, they would be easily traceable, as virtually every formation on earth has been mapped and classified. Whether that information is useful is another question. If I were to use stones, I'd go with hard igneous or metamorphic stones, which are rarer than sedimentary.

In a post apocalyptic setting, where one is using stones instead of metal for shrapnel, I'd bet the housing would be easier to track. After all, someone would certainly notice that their precious cooking pot went missing or something like that.

ClareGreen
04-30-2013, 12:10 AM
For my story, I was wondering if one was able to obtain a disarmed IED and wanted dissemble it in order to trace its place of origin, what parts could be traced? I was thinking specific stones used for shrapnel that can be attributed to some area. But which stones are commonly used for shrapnel?

FYI the story is post apocalyptic so people use what they find and most modern technology is lost. The IED would be very "old fashioned"/savage, in a way.

If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated :)

To the best of my knowledge, most IEDs use metal for the shrapnel - ball bearings and nails are standard (hence the term nailbomb). The first shrapnel shells used musket balls, though, and getting lead to a pourable temperature is relatively easy even without modern technology.

If your people are using gunpowder for their explosive and it came from a bulk source, the powder itself might be a clue. Not all powder was created equal, by the size of the grains or by the chemical composition, and someone with experience might be able to tell which factory or nation it came from.

There are plenty of other possible tell-tales, but the technology level in question is rather important. Are we talking matchlocks or machine guns?

lalyil
04-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks Sarpedon, I'll have a read on those stones :)

Drachen Jager, everything used is remains of the 'old world'. Because of that the IED is very old fashioned as stated, I'm guessing more like those used in the Vietnam War than the one now. I'm still reading about IEDs but I'm guessing they would use car batteries, unexploded hand grenades and the like. There are no computers.

lalyil
04-30-2013, 12:16 AM
To the best of my knowledge, most IEDs use metal for the shrapnel - ball bearings and nails are standard (hence the term nailbomb). The first shrapnel shells used musket balls, though, and getting lead to a pourable temperature is relatively easy even without modern technology.

If your people are using gunpowder for their explosive and it came from a bulk source, the powder itself might be a clue. Not all powder was created equal, by the size of the grains or by the chemical composition, and someone with experience might be able to tell which factory or nation it came from.

There are plenty of other possible tell-tales, but the technology level in question is rather important. Are we talking matchlocks or machine guns?

Wow, thanks for that, that's extremely helpful. Musket balls is an interesting take.

Machine guns, as stated, a lot is leftover from the world as we know it, only no computers, and electricity is an issue (some have generators and the like, but many have to live without)