career or book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
This thought comes from a rep comment I received. Originally I was going to respond to just the person, but I realized that this situation comes up quite a bit, and many people on this forum swing one way or the other, and its a bit confusing to the other half. And a fair amount of people that don't think which way they want to swing.

Are you looking for a career in writing or are you looking to just sell the book you're writing? The answer to this question effects how you view your present WIP and the querying process. Because the long-term goals are very, very different.

Let me start with some personal history. I've written quite a few magazine articles and even had a regular column for a while. It was for a specialized subject and and a limited range of magazines, but I was being paid enough to take my wife out to a really good restaurant and have change left over.

Then I had a nonfiction book published by a small publisher. No advance, but the checks every six months paid for quite a few visits to restaurants, and not McDonalds, either. Not enough to buy a car, but hey, not a big market, either. The publisher and I discussed doing a rewrite a few years ago, but we looked at the economy in the horse industry and decided it wasn't likely to fly.

I decided to see whether I could go out to some more restaurants with fiction writing. Wrote STALLED DREAMS and got no where fast. Wrote THE NEXT STEP and got an agent and auditions with the big six publishers. Universally rejected, and mostly because the lack of action didn't seem to be marketable.

Wrote THE PICTURE and no one could decide whether it was YA or adult, but it didn't work as undecided. Wrote MORTON'S FORK which has been read and rejected by several agents. I've still got some agents to try, but it's not looking encouraging. Comments are that it's too quiet a novel to succeed in today's market. Now if this was ten years ago!

Each story has been a learning experience. Each story has been dropped without looking back as the lesson has sunk in that each has had to teach me. And the reason for that is because I'm looking at the career, not the book. Each book is forming a part of the whole, and may be necessary to get to the whole, but it's not essential that each get published.

Meanwhile, other writers here are slogging the same story, year after year after year. Now for the memoir writers this makes sense, but for novel writers, you have to ask. Are they interested in only that one book or are they interested in the career. Because if you're interested in a career, you understand that dumping a book because it's reached its limit is what needs to happen to advance your career.

Meanwhile, I'm taking what the carcasses of my old books have told me that I'm doing right, and trying to fix what I'm doing wrong. I hope the next book I write succeeds, but if it doesn't, I'm sure it will help me advance towards my overall goals.

So, are you interested in the book or the career? You don't have to answer out loud, but the more you answer this to yourself, the more your stress levels will be appropriate to the situation.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm interested in the book. I have no belief in a career. I wrote this book first over ten years ago, dropped it for a long time because I thought it was worthless, then realised a) it wasn't that bad and b) the story was still nagging me wanting to be told.

If I could sell even one book that'd be amazing to me.

That said, I have written some other books as well.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Career. With each book I write, I try to improve on the one before. Whether I have a career or not, I can't say, but that's what I'm working towards.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you, jclark. I'm in this for the career. I've written 5 novels so far, only one has been published to date. My publisher has another manuscript and if they reject it, I'll trunk it because it'll have had its chance. And then I'll move on to my latest ms, which is a departure from my earlier work and, I think, more commercial.

I'm not so invested in every book that I can't get past a rejection. I have other books written and more stories in my head. You build a career one book at a time but that doesn't mean universal rejection of that one book has to stymie an entire career.

Keep writing, keep submitting, keep learning, because that's what we do.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My plan was to write first novels of series until one of them got picked up. So I think I may say I'm there for the career, not for any one book. At the same time, I've yet to give up on a book that's made it through the first draft. These books may be on extended hiatus, but trunked? Nope. I don't own a trunk, just a bunny hutch where the new ideas and resting MSS get to do what bunnies do until they're ready for the bunny show, either for the first time or all over again.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agents and publishers prefer career writers, but all any writer can do is write one book, and then write another book, on and on.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Each book is forming a part of the whole, and may be necessary to get to the whole, but it's not essential that each get published. ...

dumping a book because it's reached its limit is what needs to happen to advance your career.

Meanwhile, I'm taking what the carcasses of my old books have told me that I'm doing right, and trying to fix what I'm doing wrong. I hope the next book I write succeeds, but if it doesn't, I'm sure it will help me advance towards my overall goals.
Words of wisdom.

I'm not really sure if I'm writing for a career, but the above is the approach I take. I'll make it as good as I can and, regardless of what happens, take what I've learned on to the next book. I do want to give those books a chance out in the world. If the world doesn't want them, I'm still happy to have them, and I'll still be writing more.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
A career, because I have many ideas for stories and characters, and I truly love the act of writing a novel. I'd happily write a novel every year for the rest of my life, if allowed.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Ultimate goal would be a career, certainly. But realistically I'm more likely to work as a teacher until I retire. Thankfully, I love that job.
It would be awfully nice to get a few books out there to eager readers, though, so I trudge on writing.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Like everything else I do, it's one thing at a time. One book at a time, one story at a time - if I sell something, there's a better chance I'll sell something else. If the first doesn't sell, I'll try something else and keep trying until it works. I've never had a career, just gone from one opportunity to the next, so making writing a career isn't in my game plan either. Writing is a pretty tenuous career anyway - each new book can make it or break it, after all.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think, by the definition given in the OP, that means I'm career-minded, but I don't think about any career aspects as I'm writing.

There was a time when I was certain I'd have a career in writing, but now I see it's so far beyond my control that it doesn't appear on my radar. I focus on doing the best I can do with the book I'm writing right now, but I'm long past any emotional need to only focus on marketing one book forever. There's too many stories in my head to be written yet to obsess about the one that's already written.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
So, are you interested in the book or the career? You don't have to answer out loud, but the more you answer this to yourself, the more your stress levels will be appropriate to the situation.

Timely discussion for me.

At the moment, I'm taking a step back and re-evaluating what I want. Expectations, plans, attitude re-adjustments, everything is coming under scrutiny to see if it is contributing towards forward progress. And, most importantly, what that progress consists of.

Most importantly, what are my end points? What are my victory conditions?

Once it's a little clearer to me, then, how will I get there or how to plan to get there because my expectations will be more inline with my progress.

To determine all that, I have to know what it is that I'm focused on now. Is this a singular book situation or a career move?

Still working on that one.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Neither book nor career. Hobby. I write what I write because it is fun and don't really bother with the publishing game. That being said, I don't really offer advice on publishing.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing as a career in that I want to keep writing and hopefully get better with each one. I think I'm succeeding on the getting better front, and I'm seeing progress. Now, I'm not writing as a way to make a living, but if that happens I'll be thrilled. I figure at my age and at my rate, I probably have about 15 novels to look forward to.

When I get discouraged, I remind myself that it took 4 years of undergrad plus seven years for MS and PhD to just be marketable in the field I wanted to work in, then several more years before I began to get recognition from people I respected. It would have been nice to hit one out of the park at the first at-bat, but nothing in my life has happened that way. I got serious about writing only about seven years ago, so I can be patient and let myself be where I am in my development.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm far enough along in the game to have an approach. I'm really partial to the story I'm working on right now, but I've got other stories in the wings to work on if this one falls through. I think I'll be equally devoted to those when the time comes.

I'd love to get each story published, of course, and I doubt I'll ever really trunk one forever. If it doesn't sell, I'll sell the next, or the next. And someday, I'll figure out where I went wrong and fix the ones that didn't sell. I'll probably self publish what I can't get picked up by the traditional publishers.

So knowing that, I guess I'm a little of both. I'd like to find some kind of home eventually for every book, but I'd like to have a career publishing more than just one book.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Neither book nor career. Hobby. I write what I write because it is fun and don't really bother with the publishing game. That being said, I don't really offer advice on publishing.

This.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to clarify that when I say "career" I do NOT mean fiction writing as a way to make a living wage. I've received royalties and I know how unrealistic that is. I take career to mean having the goal of publishing several novels rather than stopping at writing one and publishing that one.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I want the career.

That can't happen until there's a book.

So I fixate on the book and do everything I can for it. Edit it, query it, wibble about it.

And when I realize I have to let yet another one go, I start over and do it all again for the next book.

So I'm focused on the book, not the career, but that doesn't mean it's always the same book.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I've always been able to draw, I've created some really good stuff but I never desired to earn my living as an artist. Even so, I went to college, got a BFA, and worked as a graphic artist for ten years. Never considered it a career. My career was going to be teaching. I went back to college, got my certification, then went back again for my MA in Education, and got a job teaching little kids and I loved it. Then I had an accident and had to quit. I started writing to fill that void.

Writing isn't a career right now. It's more of a passion. Each novel has been different, and progressively better, I think--that inevitable learning curve. I'm looking at each novel separately and I suspect a couple, including my WIP, are decent, maybe more than decent, and worth a shot--try to get them out there. I feel duty-bound to try. Who knows what's going to happen but even if I never sell anything, I imagine I'll keep writing. Unless or until that well runs dry.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have never in my life looked for a career in ANYTHING. This is also the case with my writing. But please, DO NOT MISTAKEN THIS VIEWPOINT WITH INDIFFERENCE OR LACK OF DRIVE TO DO MY BEST EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.

My one goal in life is to live it. I long ago found a way to bring home the bacon. That thing I do for 40hrs a week means NOTHING to me. I love the people I share that time with--I've been sharing that time with them for 26 years. But my 'life' begins at home...and in the community.

I have written about 10 books now (I've lost track and some may consider that sloppy). 3 of them are published and doing fairly well. I'm proud of the feedback that all 3 have received.

I have a literary agent and she has 2 YA novels on submission at the moment.

I am about to have my 6th play produced for the InspiraTO Festival at the Alumnae Theatre in Toronto.

I have about 150 poems published worldwide.

I have been a columnist twice and just accepted a third posting.

I have been a freelance writer and have dozens of articles written for magazines, webzines, newspapers, newsletters, etc.

I have several short stories published.

I have done radio work, both for third parties and for myself. I've written commercials and I've written and recorded my own memoir.

I have served on the board of directors for my local writing circle (300+ strong) and I have been on the founding board of directors for the Ontario Writers' Conference since its inception in 2007. I have been a part of the organizing committee for said conference since we created it. We will be having our 5th conference this coming Friday and Saturday.

I don't have a career. I have a family. I have dear friends. I have a community that I love to serve.

I write for fun. Something to do to pass the time and touch the wondrous while doing so. Writing is a miracle, in my eyes, just as every other form of creativity is.

I have NO time for the word CAREER.

That is all.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm with you, jclark. I'm in this for the career. I've written 5 novels so far, only one has been published to date.

You're a gorgeous writer. I have no doubt you will have follow-up novels. Your debut was lush! People should check it out!

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure which category I would fall in since I have several books I would like to finish and sell. HOWEVER I NEVER want to quit my 'REAL' job and call myself an 'author' as a job title. So I think I don't want book writing to be my career, I just want the luxury of being able to write and sell books while I'm also doing my real job. Which...I hear is pretty easy from all the 'don't quit your day job' threads I've seen.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
You're a gorgeous writer. I have no doubt you will have follow-up novels. Your debut was lush! People should check it out!

Aw, thank you, my friend! :)

You know I feel the same about you. EVERYONE buy one of Kevin's fabulous books right NOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.