French 'magic word'

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Is there a word which magicians in France would commonly use at the end of a trick? Abracadabra? Or something else, or nothing at all? It would need to be something that most French people would recognise.

Thanks!

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Abracadabra probably would work. You can check the international section, and see what they can tell.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Thanks, everyone, I'll ask in the international section.

There is no actual magic trick in the book, just an English character who says 'use the magic word', meaning 'please', and I'm trying to work out what the Frenchman she's talking to might think the 'magic word' could possibly be.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, I'll ask in the international section.

There is no actual magic trick in the book, just an English character who says 'use the magic word', meaning 'please', and I'm trying to work out what the Frenchman she's talking to might think the 'magic word' could possibly be.

Plaisir, Vous me plait beaucoup. Allons; faisons le foutre.

I suppose that some French men might think otherwise, but let's be reasonable, But he wouldn't say that out loud.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think the joke is that the Frenchman doesn't know the phrase 'say the magic word' and is puzzled as to why she would ask him to say the French equivalent of 'abracadabra'.