PDA

View Full Version : French 'magic word'

girlyswot
04-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Is there a word which magicians in France would commonly use at the end of a trick? Abracadabra? Or something else, or nothing at all? It would need to be something that most French people would recognise.

Thanks!

Siri Kirpal
04-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You might ask this question in the International section of the forum.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

King Neptune
04-29-2013, 04:44 AM
Abracadabra probably would work. You can check the international section, and see what they can tell.

blacbird
04-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Merde.

This is uttered as an epithet, only if the trick doesn't work.

caw

Liralen
04-29-2013, 05:17 AM
You might check here as well, in case you don't get something firsthand from the International section http://www.magictricks.com/magic-glossary.html

Voila looks promising.

girlyswot
04-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks, everyone, I'll ask in the international section.

There is no actual magic trick in the book, just an English character who says 'use the magic word', meaning 'please', and I'm trying to work out what the Frenchman she's talking to might think the 'magic word' could possibly be.

King Neptune
04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks, everyone, I'll ask in the international section.

There is no actual magic trick in the book, just an English character who says 'use the magic word', meaning 'please', and I'm trying to work out what the Frenchman she's talking to might think the 'magic word' could possibly be.

Plaisir, Vous me plait beaucoup. Allons; faisons le foutre.

I suppose that some French men might think otherwise, but let's be reasonable, But he wouldn't say that out loud.

mirandashell
04-29-2013, 04:23 PM
I think the joke is that the Frenchman doesn't know the phrase 'say the magic word' and is puzzled as to why she would ask him to say the French equivalent of 'abracadabra'.

benbenberi
04-29-2013, 05:29 PM
The French for "abracadabra" is: abracadabra.

girlyswot
04-29-2013, 08:46 PM
I think the joke is that the Frenchman doesn't know the phrase 'say the magic word' and is puzzled as to why she would ask him to say the French equivalent of 'abracadabra'.

Exactly. He doesn't know she means 'please'.