Orgasms and Creative Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalron

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is a very personal topic for my first post but it is a subject I have thought about often. However, it's not something I would feel comfortable discussing in face-to-face writing classes or other 'writing get-togethers'.

Over a long lifetime of writing, I've found that for at least two to three days following sex, I feel totally drained creatively. I have no interest or motivation in writing (or much of anything, for that matter). If I do try to write doing these days, I usually end up getting quite irritable and/or depressed and frustrated.

As the days pass I find motivation and inspiration returning and I get back to my normal writing routine. As the length of abstinence grows so does my output both in quantity and quality (in my opinion, of course :)).

Now to some this might appear to be silly or the opposite of what happens to them but I think there's some basis for it as I believe (definitely not from experience) that top-class athletes and similar people abstain from sex before major events or at least they used to.

On closing, I am quite sure that in the past in my reading on writers and writing, I have come across similar thoughts from well-known writers and commentators that orgasm drains creativity energy. Google searching hasn't helped me find anything on this.

Anyway, enough for now.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's because you have to be creative to reach the orgasm and that drains all your consentration.

I never have noticed a difference. But one thing I have noticed is that I fell sick after if it takes too long to reach the goal line. I felt the same way when I breast fed my babies. I think it's called oxytocin and the hormone is released during both sex and breast feeding.

Are you a man or a woman?

Perhaps you have a reaction that is different.

Spiritwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Dalron

I write up a storm after sex. I find it energizing not draining. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
well, seeing how it's only one click away from your last partner, it's easy.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From Annie Hall: "As Balzac said, 'There goes another novel!'"

Which I take to mean that the situation is not unique. Without delving into my habits or psyche too deeply, I'll say I see a definite correlation between my recent sexual activity and which WIP I'm more interested in, the amount of effort I can give it without self-distracting (keep your minds out of the gutter!), and the quality of the writing I do. For me, calm and tension free is no way to write a novel.

Maryn, calm and tension free

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I find that my job and stress interfere with my concentration and sleep, and therefore with my writing. Sex reduces my stress and generally makes me happy and relaxed—which usually results in a focused and productive creative session. I need to get a lot done this weekend. Hmmm ...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Dalron said:
Over a long lifetime of writing, I've found that for at least two to three days following sex, I feel totally drained creatively. I have no interest or motivation in writing (or much of anything, for that matter). If I do try to write doing these days, I usually end up getting quite irritable and/or depressed and frustrated.

There's quite a body of thought that explores the correlation between these two. In fact, according to most eastern philosophies, there's no difference at all between sexual and creative energy - it's all one energy. Sexual energy after all is THE creative energy per se: it's the energy/drive that creates new life. According to that thinking, that creative energy can either be directed into the genitals or into creative/spiritual activity - though it doesn't have to be one OR the other; many artists are also very active sexually.

But that's also the reason you'll find celibacy held in such high esteem in the East; if it is done consciously and properly, that energy can be channelled into other outlets, and used in a variety of ways. The more consciously it's channelled, the stronger and more satisfying it grows, so that truly celibate people are not necessarily repressed, as is thought in the west, but have found an even greater satisfaction than sex can give.

That's certainly the case with me; when I started writing my sexuality started to recede so, that it's now non-existant. Usually this seems to be a reason for shame in the West; that's just a misunderstanding. I certainly don't feel like a dried up old prune, whihc is the cliche; rather the opposite!

(PS: rereading this I decided to reword: I wouldn't say it's non-existant, since that energy is ALWAYS there; it just doesn't go in "that" direction any more; and I don't miss it in the least!)

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, you beat me to it and I'm glad you did. Your reply is much better worded than mine would have been :)

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
aruna said:
But that's also the reason you'll find celibacy held in such high esteem in the East; if it is done consciously and properly, that energy can be channelled into other outlets, and used in a variety of ways.
These are the people who brought us Tantra, too - the ultimate "Have Your Cake and Eat it Too" philosophy.

Personally, I can't tell if it makes a difference to me. I only get a chance to get some first thing in the morning (after which I have to go to work) or last thing at night (after which I was going to sleep anyway). Writing fits between the bookends somewhere.

Dalron

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Aruna, that seems to fit in with the way I am thinking about it at the moment.

There have been some interesting replies here and despite my initial reticence in starting the thread, I am now glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.