Mention being published in a very different genre?

thebird

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently received a publishing contract, and my first contemporary romance novel will be released by an e-publisher this winter.

As a former elementary school teacher and children's librarian, I'm also passionate about picture books, and I've been writing them on and off for a few years. I finally have one that I'm proud of and think is marketable, and I'm ready to start searching for an agent.

Here's my question: Do I mention the forthcoming romance novel in my picture book query? On the one hand, it seems like a publishing credential is a good thing to include. On the other hand, I wonder if potential agents will find it strange that I'm pursuing publication in two such different genres.

So do I...
A) Not include mention of the forthcoming romance novel
B) Mention the romance novel in passing, with no explanation (Ex: I also write contemporary romance, and my first novel will be published this winter by XXX.)
C) Mention the romance novel, and include a short explanation of why I'm pursuing picture book writing (Ex: Having worked as both an elementary teacher and a children's librarian has made me passionate about picture books. I also write contemporary romance, and my first novel will be published this winter by XXX.) <--I know that example sounds awkward, but it's just to give you an idea what I'm thinking.

Any insight is appreciated!

PS: Would publishers want me to use a different name for my picture book writing?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Nearly every agent who's posted here says to say if you've published books in other genres. I would use the second of your three possibilities. The pseudonym issue is up to you and the publisher.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to ask your current agent or publisher for references if they don't work in your second genre. Many larger agencies and most publishers have different agents/editors for different genres and lines. Besdies, any good agent has probably met or worked with someone who reps your second genre.

Work your network! :)

Jeff