Barm pots rule!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I know that there are people with severe allergies to peanuts, but surely anyone with an allergy would not buy the nuts. This really is, imo, an over the top reaction.

"A supermarket chain has withdrawn bags of nuts - after failing to declare they may contain peanuts."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-22308165

"Barm pot is British slang for crazy, silly, eccentric.
"
http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/Barm%20Pot

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lawsuit tags are classic here. There's usually a warning on hair dryers that say to not use while actively showering.

That said, I clicked the link because your post said it was a bag of 'nuts' and I thought it was maaaaybe possible that it was like, mixed tree nuts and they didn't warn it had peanuts in or peanuts that had been made on the same line with tree nuts or what have you, which I can kind of vaguely see, as they are two different allergies.

However, those are bags of peanuts. I've never heard them referred to as 'monkey nuts' but if you have a peanut allergy, presumably you know what a peanut looks like.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Are you serious about the hair dryer? :roll: that is - well, barmpottiness taken to an extreme!

I think they make the distinction in the article that monkey nuts are peanuts that are still in the shell, casing? But yes, if you are allergic to something, you should know what it looks like!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not kidding. :)

It's a thing - there are many different webpages devoted to chronicling the hilarity found on lawsuit tags (product warnings inspired by actual or feared lawsuits).

Some examples from the above pages -

A label on a baby stroller warns: “Remove child before folding."

A cartridge for a laser printer warns, “Do not eat toner.”

Found in a television set’s owner’s manual:
Do not pour liquids into your television set.

and, as I mentioned -

Found on the instruction sheet of a Conair Pro Style 1600 hair dryer:
WARNING: Do not use in shower. Never use while sleeping.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
You can bet that if there's a warning, it's because someone, somewhere, tried it.

I liked the one in the owner's manual on the BMW 750il . . . after explaining the ski storage through the back seat and into the trunk it warns that one should never attempt to drive while wearing ski boots.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Not kidding. :)

It's a thing - there are many different webpages devoted to chronicling the hilarity found on lawsuit tags (product warnings inspired by actual or feared lawsuits).

Some examples from the above pages -

A label on a baby stroller warns: “Remove child before folding."

A cartridge for a laser printer warns, “Do not eat toner.”

Found in a television set’s owner’s manual:
Do not pour liquids into your television set.

and, as I mentioned -

Found on the instruction sheet of a Conair Pro Style 1600 hair dryer:
WARNING: Do not use in shower. Never use while sleeping.

You can bet that if there's a warning, it's because someone, somewhere, tried it.

I liked the one in the owner's manual on the BMW 750il . . . after explaining the ski storage through the back seat and into the trunk it warns that one should never attempt to drive while wearing ski boots.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
:roll:

:roll:Remove child before folding! :roll:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:Doolallies!!!

Warning!

Drinking hot beverages and other liquids while reading this thread could result in hot beverages and other liquids being spewed all over your keyboard.

Class action suit on this one, I think.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
There ought to be a special section on warning labels titled, Just In Case You're Stupid.

Really, at some point shouldn't we let natural selection run its course?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
:roll:Doolallies!!!

Warning!

Drinking hot beverages and other liquids while reading this thread could result in hot beverages and other liquids being spewed all over your keyboard.

Class action suit on this one, I think.

Should I put a warning in the first post saying that reading this thread is hazardous?

Liralen it is not people that are necessarily stupid but the state bureaucracy that takes away all responsibility for safety from the individual. Common sense is not allowed a say in these things.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
If one allows bureaucracy to diminish one's independent use of common sense . . . then I have to put that down to stupid, or at least so irresponsible as to make any differentiation immaterial. ;)

After all bureaucracy and common sense are necessarily mutually exclusive. Where common sense reigns there can be no tolerance for bureaucracy.

No one can "take away" our responsibility for ourselves -- that's something we abnegate.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: Buying this product with a credit card will still cost you money, possibly more in the long run than if you use cash.

I think they should have the following warning on cheap electronics:

Warning: 3 out of 5 units of this line do not work and will have to be returned.

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
Warning: 3 out of 5 units of this line do not work and will have to be returned.

Now that's a warning I can get behind!

Of course, there are also the classic ones for cleaning products that essentially say things like, "Don't drink this, don't dump it on yourself, and don't pour it into your eyes."

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
If one allows bureaucracy to diminish one's independent use of common sense . . . then I have to put that down to stupid, or at least so irresponsible as to make any differentiation immaterial. ;)

After all bureaucracy and common sense are necessarily mutually exclusive. Where common sense reigns there can be no tolerance for bureaucracy.

No one can "take away" our responsibility for ourselves -- that's something we abnegate.

I think that common sense and bureaucracy are a loop tape chasing each other, and that is stupid. Bureaucrats must lack common sense and have a view of the populace that is patronising in the extreme.

There are, of course, some people who just do not want to think for themselves and are happy to have decisions made for them. So, lazy and possibly stupid?

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
And the things that we AREN'T warned about . . .

like toothbrushes.

I worked in a toothbrush manufacturing plant, on the line, and you'd better believe I disinfect that new toothbrush before I use it! But there's not a single thing written on the box to suggest that it be done.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about other states or countries, but here in Minnesota they include the phone number for an assistance line for gambling problems on advertising for the lottery.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I worked in a toothbrush manufacturing plant, on the line, and you'd better believe I disinfect that new toothbrush before I use it! But there's not a single thing written on the box to suggest that it be done.

A mate of mine used to work in the line that made plastic 'sterile' tweezers for hospitals. Ofc, they weren't quite so sterile as one might expect

Came the day he pranged his motorbike, and begged the doctors to use the metal tweezers to take the gravel out of his skin. 'But-- ' the doctor said. 'But nothing, I know where those bastard plastic ones have been!'

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I think that common sense and bureaucracy are a loop tape chasing each other, and that is stupid. Bureaucrats must lack common sense and have a view of the populace that is patronising in the extreme.

There are, of course, some people who just do not want to think for themselves and are happy to have decisions made for them. So, lazy and possibly stupid?
See, the problem is that stupid people exist--and I don't even mean that disparagingly. People who are barely above being classified as mentally deficient are out there making the best life for themselves that they can.

Part of the government's job is to protect the weakest and most vulnerable members of society, and they certainly can't say that stupid people deserve to die or be maimed--they must treat every citizen as valuable and worthy of life. Thus: warning labels.

I feel a bit of a dolt coming to this thread and defending the cosseting of the barm pots, but I understand why those labels exist, and it's not just due to society getting litigious. The warning labels don't hurt those of us who are normal, but they could help those who aren't well-equipped to deal with a complex world.

But I tell ya, I'mma gonna start washing my brand new toothbrushes a WHOLE lot more carefully from now on.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, the people I've worked with who are -- by "normal" standards -- mentally deficient who had enough cognition to be able to read and comprehend warning labels had the sense to not need the kind of warnings we're talking about, the obvious, idiotic ones.

One of the ladies who worked with me at the toothbrush factory was fairly significantly impaired, but she and I had several giggling sessions over "the smart ones" who gave her a hard time doing some really idiotic stuff. Sharon was always fun to work with, the night went by fast. :)

Soaking in an antibacterial mouthwash, like old fashioned Listerine, is a good way to kill anything that might be on the brush.

Last edited: