PDA

View Full Version : Self-publishing on Amazon?

efreysson
04-26-2013, 09:51 PM
I've published two fantasy novels in Iceland and I'm fighting to get the third one released this fall, but I really want to reach the foreign market. I'm considering my options, one of which is to either pay for an English-language translation or do the whole thing myself and just pay for a proofreading and e-publishing on Amazon.

E-publishing hasn't really taken off in this country so I don't know much about it but it has been recommended to me as a decent option for struggling writers. Is it, really? Does it have a chance to reach more than a few hundred or is an e-book by an unknown doomed to obscurity?

veinglory
04-26-2013, 10:19 PM
If you mean publishing via Amazon Kindle, you can certainly do very well. Some authors make a good living selling primarily via that format.

However, they are minority who use the platform well, write popular genres and in most cases are very prolific.

Personally I only just started self-publishing via Kindle yesterday (literally). So we shall see.

WriterBN
04-26-2013, 10:35 PM
E-publishing hasn't really taken off in this country so I don't know much about it but it has been recommended to me as a decent option for struggling writers. Is it, really? Does it have a chance to reach more than a few hundred or is an e-book by an unknown doomed to obscurity?

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is maybe: if you have a really great book, in a really hot genre, and can spend a lot of time marketing it.

shaldna
04-27-2013, 01:37 AM
I've published two fantasy novels in Iceland and I'm fighting to get the third one released this fall, but I really want to reach the foreign market. I'm considering my options, one of which is to either pay for an English-language translation or do the whole thing myself and just pay for a proofreading and e-publishing on Amazon.

if not one else has mentioned it, you need to look at your contract with your publishers before you look at self publishing - does your contract allow you to sp those works in other territories, do you have a non-compete clause?

dondomat
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I've published two fantasy novels in Iceland and I'm fighting to get the third one released this fall

If you do start work translating them yourself, you're welcome to send a chapter or three. Fantasy from Iceland sounds fascinating, I'm very curious. In return I can like send you back my attempts at proofreading and stuff.

Sometimes I don't visit absolute write for a long time, but I always come back...that's in case at some point I show no activity here and don't return PM's.

Old Hack
06-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Moving this to the Self Publishing room in three, two, one...

...and here we are!

It's a better fit here than in our e-publishing room.