• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta wanted for YA sci-fi (first four chapters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
UPDATE: Not currently looking for more swaps. Though if you just want to read the chapters, I would of course be grateful for any feedback.

Hi,

Looking for some input on the first few chapters of my YA novel, MINDWALKER. I'm willing to do a swap for someone else's first few chapters; I'll read just about anything, but as genres go I'm most familiar with romance, fantasy, and sci-fi. Either line-by-line or general comments is fine. Summary below:

At seventeen, Lain Fisher is already a Mindwalker—a neuro-augmented healer with the power to dive into people’s minds and erase their traumatic memories. Slogging through images of war and abuse is a recipe for nightmares, but Lain has never turned away from someone in pain—not since her father’s suicide showed her the ugly power of despair.

Her latest client, Steven Bent, is desperate to forget the six months of his childhood he spent locked in a sadist’s basement. When Lain ventures into the twisted labyrinth of Steven’s mind, the images flicker and blur, signs that his memories have been tampered with by another Mindwalker. Probing deeper, she glimpses another layer of memories buried beneath his kidnapping—a white-walled, underground hell filled with terrified children. She starts to suspect that IFEN, the organization that trains Mindwalkers—where her father worked—has done something terrible to Steven and tried to cover it up.

Lain promises to erase Steven's past if he helps her find answers first. But since meeting him, Lain’s started to wonder—is wiping out someone’s memories and identity really healing? If she fulfills her promise, it will destroy the person he is. And the more time she spends with this broken yet surprisingly resilient young man, the more she questions everything she thought she knew about Mindwalking, her world, and herself.

Last edited:

VanessaAnderson

Crazy girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesenfantsdelo.com
Sorry I can't be of much help when it comes to beta-reading (English is only my second language), but I read the pitch because I was intrigued, and I just wanted to say that I find the idea absolutely awesome and I would totally buy the book, because that's the kind of stories I love.
Just needed to say it :) I hope you find a beta soon!!!

Howard Beale

Mad as Hell!
Registered
Reaction score
Currently working on my own projects but I would be willing to give your first few chapters the once over. Not so much an in depth critique but more of a general feel.

How many words are we talking?

eleutheria

Registered
Reaction score
I was also quite intrigued by your query (I didn't comment in SYW because queries are new to me, so I don't feel comfortable critiquing them just yet). That said, I've been beta-ing for years and I'd love to look over your first few chapters. :) Swapping is not necessary - my work isn't at the point where I feel it's polished enough to send it off to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.