What happens after digital rights expire?

thebird

Registered
Reaction score
I was recently offered a contract by a reputable e-publisher :)hooray:), but I'm a bit confused about some of the contract language. It says they retain "English rights for X number of years." My question is: What happens after those few years have passed (it's less than five)? Do the rights revert back to me? Does that mean that the publisher won't be selling/distributing my book anymore? Or can they decide to re-buy the rights?

Confused. Any insight appreciated!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Publishing rights reversion should be noted in your contract. When publishing rights revert to you, the e-publisher will no longer have the right to publish your title. You may renegotiate or offer your title to the e-publisher again, possibly assigning publishing rights to them for an additional X number of years. Good questions to be asking BEFORE signing the contract.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to what Merri said, you can also offer your book to a different publisher or self-publish, should you choose to do so.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I was recently offered a contract by a reputable e-publisher :)hooray:), but I'm a bit confused about some of the contract language. It says they retain "English rights for X number of years." My question is: What happens after those few years have passed (it's less than five)? Do the rights revert back to me? Does that mean that the publisher won't be selling/distributing my book anymore? Or can they decide to re-buy the rights?

Confused. Any insight appreciated!
They will send you an email at the end of five years telling you that your rights are coming due and ask you if you want to extend them. You can just say to them that you'd like to re-sign with them for another 5 years and that's what they hope you will do. If you are happy with everything you will re-sign.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They will send you an email at the end of five years telling you that your rights are coming due and ask you if you want to extend them. You can just say to them that you'd like to resign with them for another 5 years and that's what they hope you will do. If you are happy with everything you will resign.

Not all e-publishers work this way: you're going to have to check your contract to find out how and when you terminate it, and what your options are.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You may be offered an extension one or multiple times, or you may not. That generally depends largely on sales and general company policy.