PDA

View Full Version : What's The Big Idea?

Cella
04-25-2013, 05:01 PM
We all have one, right?

Mine has lately been a cob house, something similar to this:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz320/cellasboots/wales-cob-house_zps645703fe.png (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/cellasboots/media/wales-cob-house_zps645703fe.png.html)

Doubtful it will ever be a reality, but fun to think about all the same.

So, what's yours?

:popcorn:

regdog
04-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Moving to Martha's Vineyard

Alpha Echo
04-25-2013, 05:35 PM
To become a bear and hibernate. The mere idea of sleeping for months fills my heart with joy.

shakeysix
04-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Buying the empty lot next to mine and planting a vineyard. Or planting one on some of the acreage that I already own. Our ground is chalky and a nice little creek runs through it but it is almost 45 miles north of my own house. If the grapes were next door I could keep an eye on things but I would have to buy the land in addition to the vines, wires, posts and pump for irrigation. Still it could happen--s6

Lavern08
04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Been thinking about operating a Food Truck that sells Pie... ;)

Sweet Pies:

Sweet Potato (a southern favorite)

Apple (a classic)

Mixed Berry (blueberries, strawberry and raspberry)

S'Mores Pie

and my Million Dollar Pecan Pie

Savory Pies:

Chicken Pot Pie

Vegetarian Pie (suggestions, anyone?)

Mac N Cheese with Bacon

Alpha Echo
04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Lavern, how do you have so much energy? May I have some? Can you make a truck full of energy?

Alpha Echo
04-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Still it could happen--s6

When it happens, I'll be a client. Just keep shipping the bottles my way, and I'll keep paying.

Cella
04-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Great ideas, everyone! Thanks for sharing.

:)

Dave of Mars
04-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Starting a Paleo restaurant.

Alpha Echo
04-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Okay. I'll be serious. My big idea, well, one I share with my husband, is to buy land in Belize about 10 years prior to retirement. Once it's paid off, we'll build a house and have it read for us to move into after retirement.

My husband will own a nice boat and bring home fish every day. I'll learn to garden veggies, sit on the beach, and write. And read.

And in the evenings, we'll sit and watch the sun go down while drinking our alcoholic beverage of choice.

We're so far on the right track to make it happen.

Siri Kirpal
04-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Sweet Pies:

Apple (a classic)

S'Mores Pie

Savory Pies:

Chicken Pot Pie

Mac N Cheese with Bacon

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can make the vegetarian pot pie by using the recipe for chicken pot pie, but replacing the chicken with tofu. And no lard anywhere. If you keep dairy products out, it will be vegan as well.

You can also make a vegetarian pot pie by doing the mac n cheese without the bacon. Ditto the bit about the lard.

Hope you do this!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

regdog
04-25-2013, 11:01 PM

Sweet Pies:

Apple (a classic)

S'Mores Pie

Savory Pies:

Chicken Pot Pie

Mac N Cheese with Bacon

My house will be first on your delivery route, right.

Liralen
04-25-2013, 11:50 PM
To own a self-sustaining island or a fairly remote compound of land and establish a commune of people who are responsible and ethical and creative enough to live as a classic anarchy.

And raise Fila Brasileiros, with my alpha breeding stock coming straight from the fazendas in Minas Gerais.

The immigration policy is simple: you can stay as long as the Filas accept you. :D

shadowwalker
04-26-2013, 12:01 AM
To have a cabin, completely self-sustaining, in the middle of a big forest in the mountains. Probably never happen. Second big idea (and more chance of happening) is to have an RV just big enough for one person so I can travel wherever and whenever I want.

BradyH1861
04-26-2013, 12:09 AM
My dream is to quit my job and open up a Civil War tour business where I can arrange and give tours of battlefields. I could do anything from a half day tour to a week long which visits several sites. I would arrange hotel, transportation, etc. Sort of like a one stop shop. Plus, I'd give the tours at some sites myself or arrange for some outside experts to help.

The only problem is that the closest National Battlefield Park is about 7 hours away. I don't know if it will happen or not, but at least I made a website!

sunandshadow
04-26-2013, 02:13 AM
Zucchini and eggplant could both be part of a non-sweet vegetarian pie. Carrot too, or mashed potatoes. Though personally I'd prefer the mashed potatoes with beef in a shepherd's pie. Or, ooh, a barbecue pork pie... A sweet corn cake (the kind with cream corn in it) could also make a delicious pie. Something involving cream cheese or sour cream or ricotta cheese and tomatoes would get my interest. I'd suggest beets but they are really expensive and also taste similar to berry pie (well, they do the way I cook them). Can you tell I'm hungry? ;)

Hmm, the big idea... I was just earlier today remembering one of my previous big ideas, experimentally cross-breeding tulips. That one pretty much crashed and burned, though I gave it a good try. More recently I wanted to dig a koi pond in the back yard, but the cost of the filter and plumbing and electricity that would need to be installed convinced me not to attempt it. Then, you know, there's this silly idea that I might write a book some day...

HarryHoskins
04-26-2013, 03:37 AM
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/ftof_zpsbc4fc642.png

Siri Kirpal
04-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

As I shopped today, I was thinking about Lavern's mobile pie shop.

Other good vegetarian combinations are broccoli and cheese, spinach and tofu (this could be vegan), mixed root vegetables, perhaps ratatouille (sp?) in a crust.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jjdebenedictis
04-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Alpha Echo, there's been some kind of mixup--you're apparently married to my husband. That Belize plan? Yep, that sounds like his...

My big ideas tend to not necessarily be things I can or really want to do. I'm just prone to hare-brained ideas (HBIs) that are a lot of fun to think about. Guess why I'm a writer?

HBI #1: Figure out a way to pull carbon out of the air and turn it into diamond (possibly do-able with tuned ultraviolet lasers, although nitrogen is apparently a problem--it turns the diamonds yellow.) Build a factory in Cairo that uses all that free Saharan solar energy to clean the city's air while creating cheap diamonds for jewelry (so I can both get rich and sparkle), diamond substrates for computer chips (diamond is an excellent thermal conductor, good for cooling) and--most importantly--a diamond space elevator (so humanity can truly become a spare-faring race.)

HBI #2: Start a franchise of fast food trucks and hole-in-the-wall restaurants called "Death Kebab". The company's slogan will be "Fatty food. On a stick." And that's all it will sell--fattening food on a stick. Examples include: cake pops, bananas with icing, chocolate covered bacon on a skewer, meat kebabs, deep-fried chocolate bars on a stick, etc.

thebird
04-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Wow - there are a lot of big ideas in this thread! Mine is to start a trap-neuter-return program for the feral cats in my area.

KellyAssauer
04-26-2013, 04:56 AM
In the village that I live in we have one real grocery store and some food stuff offered in one of those little dollar stores. The next nearest 'real' grocerue is 17 miles away.

Here recently for reasons of profit, I assume, 'the store' as everyone calls it - has had difficulty keeping more than one bread supplier.

Seriously. They have one provider now, and I can't consume 99 percent of what they sell (have bad reaction to anything containing high fructose corn syrup). So there's no sandwich buns, be it hotdog, hamburger or any other type that I can buy. I'll have to either drive 34 miles, or bake them myself...

If I bake them myself... they'd be fresh, wholesome, with natural ingredients and I'll bet there must be other people here that might like to have...

ah oh.

I think I have a big idea...

Cella
04-26-2013, 05:02 AM
I always knew AW was a thoughtful bunch of people! Keep 'em coming, everyone! :Clap:

Bushrat
04-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Mine has lately been a cob house

Oh man, cob houses! Go ahead, get yourself a cheap piece of land and build one :) They are so cool. Never built one myself, but a couple of round cordwood cabins. Building houses is not very hard, go for it!

Anyway, my next big dream (which I will fulfill once my old dog has passed on) is to volunteer at a wildlife rehab centre for a year--help raise orphaned bear cubs and moose to be released back into the wild once they're healthy.

Vito
04-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Two words: North Beach

Two more words: San Francisco

Add it all together and you get four words, separated by one comma: North Beach, San Francisco!

Cliff Face
04-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Invent teleportation so I don't have to spend 2 hours on the bus just to get to Uni. Or walk 10 minutes in the rain to buy groceries. (Umbrellas are fine unless it's windy - which it always is here.)

I'll name it Mrs. T - Matter Relocation Sender Thing. (And it's not copyright infringement with the s in there!)

Cliff Face
04-26-2013, 09:41 AM
And yes, I was being serious. I honestly want to invent teleportation. Or anti-gravity technology (flying cars!).

Some might think me mad, but with the help of my pet monkey Mr. Spankles I can -

Yeah, I'm probably mad.

Lavern08
04-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I'm probably mad.

True, but we lurve you anyway. :D

Liralen
04-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh. Yurts. I want to use yurts for housing on the island.

bettielee
04-27-2013, 08:39 AM

Sweet Pies:

Apple (a classic)

S'Mores Pie

Savory Pies:

Chicken Pot Pie

Mac N Cheese with Bacon

I want all this of pie....

my dream is a house. Or multiple houses. I don't know. I want to build a little Victorian - or a huge one - I can't make up my mind - on a plot of land outside of a small Northern California town - I want 5 acres, but the house and garden would be 1 acre, the other 4 would be insulation. I would fence it all around and plant a hedge at the fenceline. It would be my own secret garden.

And the reason I would build a NEW victorian would be to have it as energy efficient as possible - I'd install solar, and have the space heating and cooling be super efficient, and use renewable materials or alternate materials to save the impact on the earth, and to have a water collection system so I would not feel bad about keeping my garden watered during the hot months.

Robbert
04-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Me? Nothing big. To be left in peace and quiet would be fricking great. Zero dealings with the authorities is perhaps my ultimate dream.

Lavern08
05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Walnuts and Bacon ;)