Internal bleeding research

mychaoseternal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've been working on a story for some time now and I've arrived at the chapter where an accident needs to happen to further the plot.

I'm not looking to kill anyone off and I want to use the recovery as a plot point, so I'm planning to use injuries like a broken wrist, dislocated hip and swelling to the spinal cord (requiring a medically induced coma) but I'd also like (wow, that sounds macabre) to include some internal bleeding - which appears to be quiet difficult to research online haha!

I don't want the internal bleed to pull focus from the other injuries so I'm only looking to make the bleed minor but I'm willing to make it a little more severe if need be.

Could anyone tell me what are the most likely organs to suffer internal bleeding from the impact of being hit by a car? And what the treatment would be to stop the bleeding? (Would surgery be required to stop minor bleeding?) If so, would it be done by laparoscopic or open surgery in an emergency situation?

I know "internal bleeding" is a pretty vague injury to use, so I'm open to suggestions with what organ/area to have affected as long as it doesn't become the primary focus of the accident/recovery.

Any and all advice/suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for liver laceration from blunt trauma. Spleen is the runner up, ready to step in should the liver be unable to fulfill its assigned duties.

Buzzle has a pretty good article on liver laceration.

Added: I feel like I should be sending the Big G symbol into the midnight sky. ;)

Added 2: Liver lacs can be minor or severe. Often watchful close waiting is the management for minor ones. Enough for discomfort and complication of life, but you can pretty much chose the severity. I think--from skimming--that the linked article does a good job of taking you through management, what tests are done and when, etc.

Last edited:

Sonata

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had internal bleeding once. Got in a car accident and "bruised" my kidneys. It involved a fantastic overnight stay at the hospital under a malfunctioning flourescent light that wouldn't shut off (still bitter about that).

No surgery required. The blood was visible in my urine, so it was pretty obvious something was wrong. It was very painful - why all the nerves in kidneys? Why?!?! The catheter wasn't my idea of a good time either, but things could have been worse.

LSS - I was out the next day when the bleeding stopped on its own. My posture resembled a neaderthal for a couple of days. Got some lovely pain killers, time off work, and healed up great. If that sounds like anything you can use, you can PM me and I'll try to remember more details.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen far more speen trauma than liver. Bedrest and transfusion are normal. If it goes to surgery it will almost certainly be open.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she wants mild, though, wouldn't liver be an odds-on better bet than spleen? Spleens are messy.