PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Sites question???

MarquessDeScrib
02-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi thereÖI hope I am posting this in the right section.....I was wondering if someone who help answer a question or two for me regarding poetry postings on writing communities/message boards sites.

I as a writer of any kind of work whether it be short stories/poetry am always leery and cautious about having any my work posted on these types of writing communities/message board sites but it seems that a friend of mine posted one of her own poems on a site called writewords.org.uk and signed up for a free trial weekís membership of posting her poems on this site and low and behold within 48 hours of posting one of her poems she got an e-mail from the Poetís Literary Agency and was commissioned to write 3 more poems for them. Now I have to admit I am jealous at the absolute good luck my friend struck on getting paid for 3 more poems she has even written yet. The poem she posted was absolutely simple and uncomplicated as far as its fluidity. But I donít understand I tried doing the same thing and its been past one week and still I canít seem to get any of my poems published or off the ground. I donít have any money what so ever to self published my works because I have been laid off my job for about 2 years , I donít even have health insurance (what can I say I love to live life by the seat of my pants). But somehow I am hoping one day possibly before I die I can actually publish a book of my poetry. I am not expecting a big fat check from any publishing firms, that would be daydreaming dangerously on my part. But I am hoping for a sliver of hope or as my other friends put it for me a snowballs chance in hell that my writing ever makes it to book format at all.

So my question is are there any other writing communities/message boards sites where big important macha publishing agents/editors visit these sites and scoop up unknown little talents out and help them out with their writing careers. I would like my writing hobby to possibly go part time if possible and all the literature and sites and books that I have read havenít even lead me down that path yet.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

kdnxdr
02-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Hello,

I'm no writing expert, quite a newbie myself. However, someone in Absolute told about a site called

Article Distribution Service.

You might look 'em up and see what you think. I have one on that site and supposedly, you can get hooked up there with paying publishers. That's the best I can do.

The whole publish/get paid world of writing is definitately not an easy road to find your way on.

Hope you have much success!

MarquessDeScrib
02-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi ya there kdnxdr....:)

First off nice to meet another newbie too. and I really do appreciate the help...I will give that title a try....and your are not kidding about the road to getting published, nevermind the getting paid part....LOL

I amnot sure anymore if i even have the writing chops to see my work in print, even tried small magazines/quarterly/monthly potery journals and still nada....I could wallpaper my entire room with the amount of rejection letters I have collected over the many years of trying to see a nibble of my work in print.....its like all these other authors have these miracle stories of how they werer discovered so easily and I am still waiting to be a diamond in the rough kinda of story myself.....still trying though....

I appreciate the help hun.....thank you.

brokenfingers
02-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Hello Marquessdesquib,

It's a scam. I suggest you start here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19104&highlight=Poetry+literary+agency

and then perform a search here to find more.

kdnxdr
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Brokenfingers,

Article Distribution Services is a scam???

That is such a bummer.

Thanks for saying so.

How did you find out it was a scam?

brokenfingers
02-09-2006, 11:35 PM
No i meant Poetry Literary Agency.

Not article distribution services. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

MarquessDeScrib
02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi Broken Fingers:

I truly appreciate you warning me about that scam thread....sheesh...
but Article Distribution Services is legit right....

are there any other sies I could visit and post my work on...for others (publishers,editors,magazines,etc) to see....