When to mention I already have an agent

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian bilingual writer and wonder if I should include in my query that I already have a literary agent in Germany for the manuscripts I write in German, geared at the market over there? It's not the same books I'm querying in North America.

I don't think it matters at the query stage, or does it? If my query sucks, I don't see it rising out of the slush pile just because an agent overseas likes my other stuff. My hunch is to only mention this if I get an offer.
Or what do you think?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
That's a tough one. Most agents prefer to have an exclusive arrangement with their authors, but as you say, they probably wouldn't be able to handle the German language market as well as your German agent.

Does the German agent deal with anyone over here? Often agencies will cooperate across markets. That might be a good place to start.

Otherwise I would suggest you include it in your query. Mention your German publications and that you have a German language agent already. I'm not certain it would be seen as a net positive, but I find it unlikely an agent would see it as a serious negative. However if it seems like you're withholding information, that can sour the relationship quickly.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any books published yet, and since the German books feature German protags, I doubt they'd be of much interest over here. My agent only has the rights to my manuscripts originally written in German, so as far as representation and subsidiary rights of my English manuscripts go (the ones I'm seeking an agent for now), they'd all be open and available. That's why I think it shouldn't really affect any agent relationship here and vice versa.

You're right that I don't want to come across like I'm withholding information, I just wonder how wise it is to have an explanatory paragraph about this at the end of my query...

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You need to tell the agents you're considering upfront that you have a German agent. Near the end of your query would be best...unless your German agent can give you a referral to Canadian or American agents she/he likes to work with. Get that if you can and put it near the beginning of the query.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'd definitely say mention it. I had a somewhat similar situation in that I had an agent for one manuscript but decided I was not going to stay with her for the second. I didn't know what the heck I was doing so I did mention it and ended up getting a nice call from an agent who gave me some really good advice. She was nice enough to steer me right, and even though she didn't end up offering representation it was a good connection. More info, IMO, is better.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I'd mention it in the query. It might make them pay more attention--shows you're a professional and know how to tell a story. I don't think it can hurt, in any case.

You can keep it short and sweet. One line rather than a paragraph. If they have questions, they'll ask.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I get your point and will tack it on to the query :)

I guess part of my worry is that after all the work of coming up with a 200-word query, I'll inflate it with cumbersome explanations which have zip to do with the manuscript.

But I'll try this--
You can keep it short and sweet. One line rather than a paragraph.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

As long as you keep your total query to a page, the length isn't as important as what's in it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Given that my author/agency agreement has this thing about "exclusive representation" it's very much in order to mention your German agent at the query stage. It's NOT a problem, we just need to know.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, glad to have everybody's advice confirmed by an agent :)