Sarah Palin thinks your "pro-geography" nonsense is craycray! But not really.

jsselch

Spongebob Squarepants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.juliaselch.com
http://www.codewit.com/north-america/7809-sarah-palin-calls-for-invasion-of-czech-republic

This isn't the best one of the articles today, but it's pretty great.

One of my (many) favourites:
"Yes there were Muslim and they were ethnic Chechens," Doocy started, "but they grew up mostly in Kyrgyzstan and the United States. And more importantly, Chechens don't come from the Czech Republic, they come from Chechnya, which is part of Russia. "
"What's the difference?" Palin responded. "Isn't Russia part of the Czech Republic?"

I sent her a tweet just now:
“Ms. Palin, I just wanted to ask how Azerbaijan is treating you, since that’s basically the same as Alaska, right?”

:popcorn:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this isn't actually true. Reads like a second-hand spoof.

jsselch

Spongebob Squarepants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.juliaselch.com
I thought so too at first, but a few papers are reporting it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Then again, this is the woman who, when asked what newspapers she reads, said, "All of them" ...but couldn't name a single one. :crazy:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
And let's not stop at the Czech Republic, let's go after all Arab countries

Please let this not be a spoof.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I thought so too at first, but a few papers are reporting it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

There ought to be video, really. Until I see video, I call spoof.

Then again, this is the woman who, when asked what newspapers she reads, said, "All of them" ...but couldn't name a single one. :crazy:

Oh, she's an idiot, absolutely.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I really, really hope there's a video, but YouTube won't work on my office computer.

I looked on YouTube and even went to the Fox News site (shudder) and can't find one. It sounds like vintage Palin, but I'd like to see the video.

jsselch

Spongebob Squarepants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.juliaselch.com
I looked on YouTube and even went to the Fox News site (shudder) and can't find one. It sounds like vintage Palin, but I'd like to see the video.

It was satire, unfortunately. Easy to believe though, huh?

What really makes me shudder is that there are still people out there who support this lunatic and others like her. I have a girl on my facebook who actually thinks Palin is pretty great. :Headbang:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus H... how is this not an Onion article?

Edit: Ah... it basically is.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I sent her a tweet just now:
“Ms. Palin, I just wanted to ask how Azerbaijan is treating you, since that’s basically the same as Alaska, right?”

Actually, the best way to get the geographically challenged's heads to explode is to tell them that Chechnya borders Georgia on the north side. They'll never look at Tennessee or the Carolinas the same way again. :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the best way to get the geographically challenged's heads to explode is to tell them that Chechnya borders Georgia on the north side. They'll never look at Tennessee or the Carolinas the same way again. :D

Or tell them Josef Stalin was from Georgia.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that a lot of us have embarrassing gaps in our knowledge.

And to be even more fair, this is a parody. And, frankly, at this point it seems both kind of mean and a little unnecessary. Is Palin even still active in politics?

Cue me getting told about her plans for global domination or something. Gaps! Gaps everywhere!

jsselch

Spongebob Squarepants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.juliaselch.com

Or tell them Josef Stalin was from Georgia.

Hadn't even though of that! :Clap:

jsselch

Spongebob Squarepants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.juliaselch.com
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that a lot of us have embarrassing gaps in our knowledge.

And to be even more fair, this is a parody. And, frankly, at this point it seems both kind of mean and a little unnecessary. Is Palin even still active in politics?

Cue me getting told about her plans for global domination or something. Gaps! Gaps everywhere!

You're right, but most of us aren't active in politics. If she had gaps in, say, mathematics I wouldn't be too upset.

Either way, you're right. It's still pretty funny, but such an easy target. It's a lot like making fun of Mel Gibson... :rolleyes:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm almost disappointed that it's satire. It wouldn't be out of character for her to say something like that. Her "Paul Revere was warning the British" explanation is a favorite of mine. "He who . . . warned the . . . the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms, uh, by ringing those bells . . . .

The look on her face as she stammered to figure out what to say and came up with that, and the intonation. Oh, the memories.

jsselch

Spongebob Squarepants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.juliaselch.com
One of my favourites was the prank call by a Montreal radio station. An excerpt:

AVENGERS: Some people said in the last days and I thought that was mean that you weren't experienced enough in foreign relations and you know that's completely false. That's the thing that I said to my great friend, the prime minister of Canada Stef Carse.

PALIN: Well, he's doing fine, too, and yeah, when you come into a position underestimated it gives you an opportunity to prove the pundits and the critics wrong. You work that much harder.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of like I tell people Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments is set in Indiana and Tennessee because the characters are always talking about the lands of Goshen and Memphis.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, but not in fields directly related to our chosen profession. Geography is an important part of world politics. Palin's lack of knowledge was like a professional writer not knowing the difference between a short story and a novel, or between plot and theme. Only far worse, because a writer's stupidity only hurts them and their work, while a politician's stupidity can hurt us all.

The very fact that many people confused this spoof with being real shows how unbelievably stupid Palin has been in the past.

Is Palin even still active in politics?
I thought she went back to her home planet. But as the Republicans are so fond of pointing out, we're not very secure against alien invasion, so she could come back at any time.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Just when I thought satire couldn't jump the shark any higher, this comes along.

I was actually hoping Palin said that. No one, but NO one, could be that stupid. Then again, there's Mitt Romney...

:D

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Gawd, I leave AW and P&CE for two years and Sarah Palin's still doing the stoopit.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Gawd, I leave AW and P&CE for two years and Sarah Palin's still doing the stoopit.

Yeah, but no. See the piece was a satire. She didn't actually say that at all. Sure, she might have. Sure a lot of folks wish she had, but she didn't. It's not news.

Methinks it's time to fix the title and then move the thread elsewhere.

We're moving from P&CE to Office Party, folks. Be grateful it's not heading toward the landfill.

Have fun.

Hang on whilst I engage the warp drive.