Co-Authorship/Co-Creation

AlexHurst

Registered
Reaction score
Website
memoirsofhereafter.wordpress.com
So, I have an oddly specific question regarding co-authorship. My gf and I have created a fictional (duh) universe between our characters that overlaps. As long as we retain all derivative rights, it should be okay if we write separate novels to the same fictional world, and eventually write a book together, right?

Would we need to find an agent that would represent both of us? Is this even done? I have no idea, and am just trying to get some advice before we both start committing to writing MSS in different areas of the world map, with the intent to see our characters and places novel-jump and author-jump.

I'm also curious, in general, how co-authorship is done, in terms of publishing houses and agents. It seems like it would be easier if it was all handled by one agent/house, but that also seems highly unlikely unless an agent likes both of our styles and speed (gf writes very fast; I write very slow.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend you either work as one writer and publish all your work on this co-created universe under a single name, like the authors behind Nikki French do, or you work on separate projects. This overlap would make it very difficult for you to work with separate agents or publishers, and might well kill off potential deals for you.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I was almost in this situation when a friend of mine (now deceased, unfortunately, so much for co-writing) and I were actually approached by an agent to turn our co-written short story into a manuscript.

One of the things she wanted to see was a personal "contract" drawn up by the pair of us, stating what percentage of any profits went to whom, who makes the final decision in terms of revisions, etc. before she started negotiations.

We never got that far, but it does exist.

I think there are a few pro-formas that can be downloaded from the 'net

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of pro-formas which can be downloaded from the 'net.

They are no substitute for proper legal advice, or a contract drawn up by a lawyer.

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely consult a lawyer on this one. You should have some sort of partnership agreement in place that addresses who gets what percentage of profits, who's responsible for what, who makes decisions (unanimous or one person), who gets what in the event of a dissolution of the partnership, etc.

Not giving individual legal advice, just general information.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Never co-author anything, under any circumstances, without a legal contract in place.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You MUST consult with a lawyer on this one. A publishing contract warranties clause requires you to say you are the SOLE author of the work. If you're not, you can't sign.

That said, this isn't a big problem. You just need it sorted out before you query.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
You MUST consult with a lawyer on this one. A publishing contract warranties clause requires you to say you are the SOLE author of the work. If you're not, you can't sign.

That said, this isn't a big problem. You just need it sorted out before you query.

This is of interest to me. I have two pals. They both created the "world" (including country names, some of the character names, deities, lore, etc), but only one of them writes IN that world. The other one has shown no motivation or interest. He's told his partner, "Go ahead and write in it. No biggie."

So, would that be different? In your experience?

AlexHurst

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow, thanks for all of the advice. I'll have to look into finding a lawyer familiar with publishing contracts.

As far as the working on separate projects, just as an example (of what we're doing now):

GF is writing a novel about the nobility of X country, but the second half of the book involves characters descended from Y country, which is the centerfold of my book.

We plan to write separately, mostly (maybe 5 separate novels each, let's say) with a culminating 'finale' series at the end which is co-authored, hopefully to have both of our names on the cover. The independent books can stand on their own.

I understand that the finale will need the lawyer contract, and revenue and all of that decided, etc, but I guess we're going to need that lawyer before we even try to publish the first books too, huh? (Glad I asked now!)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait. Get the contract sorted out right now. It would be awful if you each wrote a book or two and then couldn't agree: all of that work would be unpublishable.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
... I guess we're going to need that lawyer before we even try to publish the first books too, huh? (Glad I asked now!)

No matter how much you think you can imagine and plan for what all can go wrong, trust me (I know from experience), you can't. Better to get it all sorted in writing and set down in a proper contract before anything can go sour. Hopefully, nothing ever will, but you just can't know for sure. You want -- nay, need -- to have all eventualities agreed in advance.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Now. Not later. And don't depend on "he doesn't show any interest" cause if there's a pot of money from film/something else, you'd be surprised how quickly everyone is much more interested.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The many, many years of litigation over characters in the comic SPAWN are a good argument for never doing handshake deals in this kind of situation. Always take advice and get everything in writing.

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
Just echoing what others said. "Now" is almost too late. Do it yesterday, if possible.

ETA: You probably won't find a local attorney with publishing contract expertise, unless you're in NYC. That's not what you need, anyway. You need someone with small business expertise, someone who has worked with partnership agreements. That's the key right now, getting the partnership structured. It would be nice if the attorney knew a bit about the publishing industry (how advances work, what "rights" are, and so on), but you can supply at least some of that information. What you need is an agreement that spells out who gets to write what, and who gets what money, and who pays for what and who gets to decide stuff when you have a disagreement. And what happens if one of you dies.

If you want to help your attorney out, give him/her this reference: Lindey on Entertainment, Publishing and the Arts. Few lawyers or local law libraries are likely to have it, but anyone with access to Westlaw can read it. It has a Westlaw citation of Lindey 3D. I believe there's a section on writing partnerships and the issues that need to be addressed.

Not giving individual legal advice, other than to seek a qualified legal professional in your jurisdiction.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The other one has shown no motivation or interest. He's told his partner, "Go ahead and write in it. No biggie."

So, would that be different? In your experience?

If the book goes Harry-Potter the speed with which it would become a "biggie" would take your breath away.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
ETA: You probably won't find a local attorney with publishing contract expertise, unless you're in NYC. That's not what you need, anyway. You need someone with small business expertise, someone who has worked with partnership agreements. That's the key right now, getting the partnership structured.

I disagree with this. You DO need an attorney who understands the ins and outs of publishing. There are all kinds of issues surrounding intellectual property that have nothing to do with typical small business partnerships, and the primary thing here is intellectual property.

Believe me, I know. At a cost to me of between $50,000 and $100,000.

njmagas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
njmagas.wordpress.com
Thank you everyone for all your replies.

As far as getting an attorney, we will do so. Honestly, that's not my biggest concern. We've been writing together for almost 10 years and who has claim to what is pretty clear to the both of us. (Alex, if I die in an unforeseeable coffee accident, you may have Toby. I'm sure he would be happier in your mind. :D )

My biggest concern is how to attract an agent with a stand alone novel written in a co-authored universe.

AlexHurst

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you everyone for all your replies.

As far as getting an attorney, we will do so. Honestly, that's not my biggest concern. We've been writing together for almost 10 years and who has claim to what is pretty clear to the both of us. (Alex, if I die in an unforeseeable coffee accident, you may have Toby. I'm sure he would be happier in your mind. :D )

My biggest concern is how to attract an agent with a stand alone novel written in a co-authored universe.

Echoing NJ, thanks so much for all of your replies. Please see individual reps for responses, otherwise it would clog the thread.

We're a good partnership, over 10 years, as she said. :) We know our characters, and are very mellow with each other. We've worked together long enough that I would trust her to write my books for me, if I didn't feel like writing them myself, haha!

But we will seek out a lawyer, just to make a full, detailed contract outlining the rights as we see them, so that agents/publishing houses can rest assured we won't sue each other to death.

I also understand it will make us lose other possible deals, but that's the name of the game. I'm willing to be patient and find someone willing to take it on as it feels like co-authored is how it's meant to be written.... but if that can't happen, we'll take Plan B (yet to be decided, haha).

NJ- Toby will find a happy home indeed. Assuredly, I won't torture him as much as you!