Conceiving/medical issue

Forlorn-ember

Returning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
My mc is told by her dr that she will have trouble conceiving in future, as in near future. She's adopted so has no idea when her mother hit the menopause. The idea was based on the hormone blood test they can do to guess at a time frame for menopause. I found an article here.
Is that plausible? Enough to make her want to start trying to have a kid immediately.

Is there any other medical condition that would lower her chances of conceiving over time drastically that would fit better?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Enough to make her want to start trying to have a kid immediately.

Even the slightest hint they may have problems down the road is enough to get some women ready to start right away. It all depends on her personality.

NH_Doggy

Registered
Reaction score
Here are some articles regarding anti-mullerian hormone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23554429 - that one found no relationship between levels and fertility.

This one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23509105 found that levels drop to 0 about 5 years before menopause, and it was a pretty good marker for it.

This one found it to be a good marker for ovarian reserve: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23485092

So, overall, your scenario is plausible, I'd say. Realistically, it's plausible to tell any woman who is pushing 40 that if they want to have kids they should start trying ASAP. The chances of conceiving a healthy pregnancy are getting pretty low at that point.

Sonata

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Endometriosis is common and can cause problems concieving. It also gets progressively worse over time and a lot of women don't even know if they have it until they begin having problems. Might be worth googling.

storygirl99

Registered
Reaction score
A woman of any age who has infrequent or irregular periods faces potential problems with fertility due to hormonal imbalance.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
There are also some serious risks that start increasing after 35. If she's the right age and hears some of those risks, that could be enough to make her decide to start now. Hell, even the fact that it's harder and harder to conceive after 35 could do it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Polycystic ovaries can be another cause of infertility.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My mc is told by her dr that she will have trouble conceiving in future, as in near future. She's adopted so has no idea when her mother hit the menopause. The idea was based on the hormone blood test they can do to guess at a time frame for menopause. I found an article here.
Is that plausible? Enough to make her want to start trying to have a kid immediately.

Is there any other medical condition that would lower her chances of conceiving over time drastically that would fit better?

A someone who is currently undergoing fertility investigtions, I'l tell you now that they can't tell shit from a single test. Fertility issues are tested over time to get a full reading - tis comprises of temperature as well as testing hormone levels - most commenly via urine samples over the course of the month.

There is no single test to tell if you are going to have trouble getting pregnant. When I was young I had problems with cysts, that took several tests and a scan. As an adult I've been having problems which have taken me peeing on a stick every say for three months to built a hormone profile that my docs can use. In addition I have also had to take and track my body temp every day too compare again my hormones.

There is no single test to tell where you are fertility wise.

For reference, I have a family history of early menopause, but they still have to track ME as an idividual and establish my hormone profile.

I would have trouble believing that she would need to try for a kid straight away if she wasn't already suffering from cysts, early onset menopause or had suffered from a cancer such as ovarian or cervial that might have an impact on her future fertility.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
She might not 'need' to try for a kid right away, physically, but there are some women who really define themselves as mothers.
Just the thought that she might not be able to have babies 'later', could push her to having babies 'now', just in case. The doctor might have said something relatively innocuous, but all she heard was 'INFERTILITY! NO BABIES FOR YOU, EVER!' and she's out there, googling sperm donors.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Cancer? Maybe they caught it early but there's a good possibility she'd need chemo sometime in the future if the cancer gets worse? That would encourage her to finish reproducing soon so she'd be done before she had to get radiation treatments.