DANG! It's Raining Pollen Here...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lawdy-Lawd!

I went outside this morning (to go gorcery shopping), and it was literally raining pollen. :flag:

Needless to say, by the time I got back home (a couple of hours later), I was sneezing and wheezing like an old poot sitting on the veranda of a nursing home smoking cigarettes and drinking gin out of a Deer Park water bottle. :D

What's it like in your area?

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much as you describe it there, lol, a lot of it from the silver maples and those damned Bradford pear trees (ever noticed they STINK?). Has been all week. Fortunately it doesn't bother me noticeably.

It's also raining rain since early this morning. That funky gray, can't commit to actual rain sort of drizzle.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I first read this, not long after it was posted, you had my sympathies. Then it started pelting rain here--with snow in the mix. I'd rather have pollen.

Maryn, who may yet use up the firewood

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, we've got a frost warning for tonight.

I'm glad I was too lazy to fight with raising my windows last night. Old house, old windows . . . major undertaking.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
This morning, it was technically raining, although really, it was just very macho mist.

Now it's sunny, but the clouds are malingering. You can tell they're thinking about ganging up on anyone who dared to put away their umbrella already.

"Hey, you wanna piece of me, chump? You want a piece of me?" **splat, splat, splash**

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
For a few days everything was yellow-green, then it rained. That was seriously good. However, the rain didn't even slow down the oak pollen. We're ankle deep in the tiny gold tendrils.

Gargoyle

Working on plot and structure!
Registered
Reaction score
My allergies are on full-drain. The last two weeks have been brutal. Hopefully it'll clear up soon!

Best,
Alex

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That's been happening for the last two weeks in Georgia (the one between Cheznia and Tennessee, or however you spell it). It rained a week ago - the sewers ran with yellow paint.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I wish cities and landscapers would plant female trees and shrubs instead of male. The male plants overwhelmingly dominate, and they drop tons of pollen, exacerbating allergies and making life generally miserable.

I gather it's to save clean-up costs because female trees drop fruit, which needs to be cleared away or it attracts wasps and gets all squichy on the sidewalk.

Which is another shame, because fruit-bearing trees and shrubs can be fun to forage, and even lifesavers in extreme circumstances.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
It won't help this spring, but will for next year.

Locally produced raw honey. Eat a spoonful every day. You can even work on the different seasons by starting on honey that was produced in the fall now, then switching to spring/summer honey around winter.