PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going To Ask Anyway (Subbing Agency)

WarnerB
04-18-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm ready to sub to a UK-based agency with an office in NYC. Their website lists the staff by first names only with titles of founder, "agent publishing," "agent USA," "agent associate," controller, etc. Their bios are brief, lacking the typical "what I'm looking for" blurps.

It says to submit all mss to "info@ " and here's where I'm stumbling: you need to address a specific agent by name but the ms is going to a general e-mail account. I would sub the cover letter (they don't want query letters) and ms to the "agent USA" by name through the info@ address--yes? The only other way to do it is to address the agency in the cover and that's just...wrong.

Go ahead...laugh at me. It sounds like a no-brainer as I'm typing this, but I'm still going to post it. This agency sounds like the perfect fit and I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks.

zegota
04-18-2013, 06:24 PM
I'd go ahead and address it to the 'agent USA.' It's almost certainly going to be read by a slush reader/assistant anyway.

WarnerB
04-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks ! It seems like everything I've learned about agents and subbing is not the norm with this agency. Not a bad thing--my gears are grinding a little as I shift my thinking is all.

Chris P
04-18-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm wondering if this is the same UK agency with a harder-then-hell-to-find-NY-office I subbed to a few years ago, that wanted (if I recall correctly) a list of potentially competing titles, background of the book, and why you think you are the best person to write it. Basically a non-fiction proposal. It's a legit agency and their "it's just not going to work out" form rejection was disheartening, but you're right, my submission to them was different than any others.

But if I've understood your question, I think putting "ATTN: Agent's Name" in the subject line and addressing to the agent directly should do the trick.

WarnerB
04-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Chris, that's exactly what I did. I wrote the U.K. address in the header with an attention to the U.S. agent, and then "Dear Jane." (Haven't sent it yet, but that's what I did, so I'm glad you replied with that suggestion; makes me feel better about doing it that way.)

I doubt it's the same agency. As far as I know, they only handle YA and kidlit. They are different, though. I dig that.

WarnerB
04-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Oops...thought you meant you submitted a non-fiction piece to them.

It's the Bright Group International, BTW. I don't know if their NYC office was open at the time you subbed.